OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Croatia
I have a question, I read that update 4.0 has some cool features, and I want to have them
rolleyes.gif
. But I have homebrew channel, wad manager 1.3 channel, few games installed throught wads, and my wii is moded wth wiikey. I followed many tutorials here and installed many ioses, cioses whatever they are so I dont know should I update or not, and whats the safest way.

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
its safe with everything: cIOSCorp, preloader, bootmii, cSM, cIOS, cMIOS, all homebrew apps, HBC, Softmii, Miiwii, installed wads (VC/WW/Homebrew), Modchip, ...
only danger is if you want cIOSCorp, be sure you don't have boot2v4

FOUNTAINEER

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
tj_cool said:
its safe with everything: cIOSCorp, preloader, bootmii, cSM, cIOS, cMIOS, all homebrew apps, HBC, Softmii, Miiwii, installed wads (VC/WW/Homebrew), Modchip, ...
only danger is if you want cIOSCorp, be sure you don't have boot2v4

what is the boot2v4?
i modded a virgin wii 3.3u with softmii 3.0. I don't think i came across anything like that. my next step is to upgrade to 4.0. anyreason why the ultimate and other guides require for the firmware to be downgraded to 3.2 and then downgraded/upgraded to 4.0. why not go directly to 4.0 from 3.3 or 3.4?

Tux'

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
What does "The installed boot1 version prevents a boot2 install (-2) mean? Are you going to fix it?
No, it can't be fixed. Installing as boot2 is the most useful way to install BootMii, but it requires that we exploit a particularly silly bug in a part of the system that can not be changed under any circumstances. Nintendo finally fixed this bug in new Wiis that were released sometime in 2008. We have looked for a suitable replacement for this exploit, but have not found one, and it does not seem likely that anyone ever will.

Taken from bootmii.org. Anyways, a boot2v4 is a boot(2) that cannot be modified because of boot(1).

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
madridi4ever said:
FenrirWolf said:
boot2v4 Wiis are the LU64-type Wiis. You don't have one of those.

So there is no harm in using cIOSCorp in my case right..?
I think his wii is LU11 ..?
no harm can be done for LU11
smile.gif

And yes boot2v4 is for LU64+ wiis. Bootmii can't be installed on these wii's as nintendo changed the boot1 (which launches boot2)

Madridi

Card Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
tj_cool said:
madridi4ever said:
FenrirWolf said:
boot2v4 Wiis are the LU64-type Wiis. You don't have one of those.

So there is no harm in using cIOSCorp in my case right..?
I think his wii is LU11 ..?
no harm can be done for LU11
smile.gif

And yes boot2v4 is for LU64+ wiis. Bootmii can't be installed on this wiis as nintendo changed the boot1 (which launches boot2)

Alright thanks
smile.gif

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
again, if you have no LU64+ wii (first 4 letters of serial, but you probably don't have LU64+) its completely safe.
Nand backup can be done to any sd card as long as it has enough free space

FOUNTAINEER

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think one of my questions is probably getting lost at the beginning of this post so i'll repost.
Why does the ultimate guide and a other ones that i came across show to downgrade from 3.3 to 3.2 and then upgrade to 4.0. why not upgrade directly from 3.3 or 3.4 to 4.0?

In my case i'll be doing an upgrade to 4.0 from 3.3u. I'd like to know the reason for that. since everyone is doing it i'm sure there is a good reason behind it.

thanks and sorry for the repost.

eggzy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Croatia
FOUNTAINEER said:
I think one of my questions is probably getting lost at the beginning of this post so i'll repost.
Why does the ultimate guide and a other ones that i came across show to downgrade from 3.3 to 3.2 and then upgrade to 4.0. why not upgrade directly from 3.3 or 3.4 to 4.0?

In my case i'll be doing an upgrade to 4.0 from 3.3u. I'd like to know the reason for that. since everyone is doing it i'm sure there is a good reason behind it.

thanks and sorry for the repost.

I'd like to know that too, I have 3.4e version

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
3.2 is better to softmod. It gives no errors when installing cIOS/WADs as nintendo fixed this in 3.3v2
Thats why we downgrade to 3.2

A while ago (before preloader worked on 4.0), 3.2 was the best firmware to have. Its also on of the 2 versions that have preloader hacks.

FOUNTAINEER

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That makes sense, but since i've already softmodded my 3.3u does it still make sense to downgrade to 3.2 and then to 4.0? why not go directly to 4.0?

Also would the 3.2 downgrade and upgrade wipe a lot or any of the softmii installs/changes?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att did offer a $500gc tempting to use it for 6 months and cancel