UPDATE: Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town will be getting a remake on the Switch, is headed west

17EjZ0N.png

harvest-moon-friends-of-mineral-town-remake-1.jpg harvest-moon-friends-of-mineral-town-remake-2.jpg harvest-moon-friends-of-mineral-town-remake-3.jpg harvest-moon-friends-of-mineral-town-remake-4.jpg

The classic 2003 Game Boy Advance game, Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town will be getting a full remake this year, on the Nintendo Switch. Marvelous Entertainment announced the existence of the remake in an issue of Weekly Famitsu, where they revealed that they would be combining the content of both Friends of Mineral Town and More Friends of Mineral Town into a revamped version for the Nintendo Switch, which will be called Story of Seasons: Reunion in Mineral Town. As opposed to modern Harvest Moon titles, this game will be developed by Marvelous, known in the west for their Story of Seasons series, rather than Natsume, who is the current owner of the Harvest Moon IP in North America. The game has not been confirmed for the west, but it will launch as a Nintendo Switch exclusive in Japan on October 17th.

:arrow: Source

UPDATE:

The game has now been confirmed for both a North American and European release. A new trailer shows some more footage.

Queen of SoS

Story of Seasons Queen
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They need to make this with the saying mechanism put back in. I found the GBA harvest moon games very basic and boring since they focus so much on farming and mining.
I’m almost certain that they are gonna implement some of the new ideas into this revamp.

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
rather than Natsume, who is the current owner of the Harvest Moon IP in North America.

My wife loves these games, people need to learn old harvest moons are easons, harvest moon in the US is because Natsume owned the name, and they used to port the Japanese story of seasons games to the US and name them Harvest Moon, for their more recent "Harvest Moon" games they decided they don't need to port the Japanese games, they'll just make their own games, and since they own the name Harvest Moon, they will just make them that, so mostly if you like the old Harvest Moon games, the new ones are released as Story of seasons, Harvest Moon is a different series made by different people.

Theirs a good YouTube video on this.

Edit: wow that's hard to read.

Last edited by Ericthegreat,

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, Harvest Moon is supposed to mainly be a farming simulator.

I realize this, and it was more of a selfish desire for a spin-off because there don't seem to be a lot of action RPGs made relative to other genres.

I can't answer that, but, mainline Story of Seasons has yet to establish itself on the switch, and right now they need something that is good, and something that will likely re-surge former players and possibly call them back, alongside get a new audience. Also this might call back those casual fans that got confused with all naming nonsense that occurred. This isn't just any remake, it is a remake of one of the most beloved games of the entire franchise, one that hasn't gotten a remake, and only got a revamp in two countries only shortly after it's release.

I get the argument, but remakes have a tendency to backfire. You end up getting people who are loyal to how a game series has progressed who are upset when a remake isn't advanced enough in the ways they expect. Meanwhile, the casual fans they're trying to re-surge are liable to be put off by how many changes have been made to the series and the remake, expecting little more than a graphical update and likely the one they personal envision. It'd seem a safer router to pull a Mega Man 9 and pull off a spiritual successor of the game, so you don't tarnish the original game nor too strongly envision players on what to expect before they even play it.

Of course, in the end, the most important part is that it's a good game. If they can pull that off, whether it's a remake or a sequel shouldn't really matter. I guess that makes me wonder exactly why the feel the need to do a remake vs continue the status quo when moving to the Switch. I think solving that is probably the root of figuring out the next step forward. Or they could have gone the Square Enix/Mana route and done an emulator collection route and a few remakes. :) I do hope for the sake of Harvest Moon fans they're making the right choice(s).

My wife loves these games, people need to learn old harvest moons are easons, harvest moon in the US is because Natsume owned the name, and they used to port the Japanese story of seasons games to the US and name them Harvest Moon, for their more recent "Harvest Moon" games they decided they don't need to port the Japanese games, they'll just make their own games, and since they own the name Harvest Moon,

That tends to explain a lot. I do find it amusing how much Lufia II and Harvest Moon remind me of each other. Turns out Neverland (Lufia II) actually developed nearly all the Rune Factory games (not sure who's developing Rune Factory 5 for Switch). Looking on WIkipedia, though, it's hard to see how accurate that narrative of development is. Seems like a lot of mergers moved the company, at least, around. Not sure about the actual people behind the series, though.

Last edited by kuwanger,

Estriole

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Game looks good... but i guess i will not buy this remake and buy the Doraemon x Story of season instead for nintendo switch... I have to support "Super Rare" Doraemon english translated game so they will do even more Doraemon game translation... beside i have seen the japanese demo youtube video... and i kinda like the art style and gameplay.

anhminh

Pirate since 2010
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
I realize this, and it was more of a selfish desire for a spin-off because there don't seem to be a lot of action RPGs made relative to other genres.

I get the argument, but remakes have a tendency to backfire. You end up getting people who are loyal to how a game series has progressed who are upset when a remake isn't advanced enough in the ways they expect. Meanwhile, the casual fans they're trying to re-surge are liable to be put off by how many changes have been made to the series and the remake, expecting little more than a graphical update and likely the one they personal envision. It'd seem a safer router to pull a Mega Man 9 and pull off a spiritual successor of the game, so you don't tarnish the original game nor too strongly envision players on what to expect before they even play it.

Of course, in the end, the most important part is that it's a good game. If they can pull that off, whether it's a remake or a sequel shouldn't really matter. I guess that makes me wonder exactly why the feel the need to do a remake vs continue the status quo when moving to the Switch. I think solving that is probably the root of figuring out the next step forward. Or they could have gone the Square Enix/Mana route and done an emulator collection route and a few remakes. :) I do hope for the sake of Harvest Moon fans they're making the right choice(s).

That tends to explain a lot. I do find it amusing how much Lufia II and Harvest Moon remind me of each other. Turns out Neverland (Lufia II) actually developed nearly all the Rune Factory games (not sure who's developing Rune Factory 5 for Switch). Looking on WIkipedia, though, it's hard to see how accurate that narrative of development is. Seems like a lot of mergers moved the company, at least, around. Not sure about the actual people behind the series, though.
I think this game deserve the remake. The old title definitely release long ago and didn't age well, meanwhile the franchise had move on for quite long now with a lots of new mechanic add in, it is reasonable to remake the game and add in new mechanic as well. This something like SE remke FF7, everyone want that.

Brigand

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
This made my day. So many people (including myself) had such awesome memories with this game. Time to dig up the old sheet I wrote down all the recipes and birthdays on...

nodnyl10

Trophies
XP
Country
I should be happy for this but.. They could have remade Back to Nature instead with 100% completion rate as well as additiomal stuff.

Basically FoMT is a downgraded BTN with added contents (with 3 missing characters but not really major). Still, i guess this os worth a downlo- erm i mean, buy. I will buy it.

Ampersound

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It looks a bit bland. I am not a big fan of the remake culture nowadays. I'd be okay with remakes of some of the classics like FF7, but at this time just too many companies are getting into it.

Queen of SoS

Story of Seasons Queen
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sooo who are these characters? Is it possible that your kids will age up? Cuz I’ve never seen these characters in the old games from what I can remember.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Obviously not the main protagonists btw

Attachments

• A266B1DC-A288-44CE-9001-FDA6F6BDD4C1.png
    A266B1DC-A288-44CE-9001-FDA6F6BDD4C1.png
    6.8 MB · Views: 172

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
So is basically two games in one? Good, while nice the GBA game was a tad short and would feel even more so considering all the content of Super Mario Oddisey and Breath Of the Wild.

Reactions: Queen of SoS

Queen of SoS

Story of Seasons Queen
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep it’s two games in one!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Those are the main characters on the left. The ones in yellow are alternate skins for your main imo.
That could also be true. I’m just wondering why we would get new skins when they haven’t done it before. Might as well give us customization options for everything else too. I mean it is a remake so it makes sense.
How many times are they gonna remake this same game? I want a new Bokumono, not this same one over and over.
I honestly think Marvelous is trying to find the formula that attracted people to harvest moon again. It kinda fell off with the gimmicks they had in previous games. Although I did find SoS: 3OT and SoS entertaining. Either it’s that or they just chose this game since so many of the vets like it, and possibly because it’s a way for new gamers to experience the “nostalgic” experience that vets had.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Like for micro