UPDATE: Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town will be getting a remake on the Switch, is headed west

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Jul 2, 2019.

Front-page
    17EjZ0N.
    harvest-moon-friends-of-mineral-town-remake-1. harvest-moon-friends-of-mineral-town-remake-2. harvest-moon-friends-of-mineral-town-remake-3. harvest-moon-friends-of-mineral-town-remake-4.

The classic 2003 Game Boy Advance game, Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town will be getting a full remake this year, on the Nintendo Switch. Marvelous Entertainment announced the existence of the remake in an issue of Weekly Famitsu, where they revealed that they would be combining the content of both Friends of Mineral Town and More Friends of Mineral Town into a revamped version for the Nintendo Switch, which will be called Story of Seasons: Reunion in Mineral Town. As opposed to modern Harvest Moon titles, this game will be developed by Marvelous, known in the west for their Story of Seasons series, rather than Natsume, who is the current owner of the Harvest Moon IP in North America. The game has not been confirmed for the west, but it will launch as a Nintendo Switch exclusive in Japan on October 17th.

:arrow: Source

UPDATE:

The game has now been confirmed for both a North American and European release. A new trailer shows some more footage.

Dava, -pm-, jt_1258 and 19 others like this.
    Discussion (85 replies)
  1. regnad

regnad Button Masher

May 19, 2008
    Nice! This is my favorite HM.

Nightflash and hug0-a7x like this.
  2. leafeon34

leafeon34 Expecto Patronum!

Sep 30, 2014
    United Kingdom
    AzkaBANNED.
    I liked Rune Factory but couldn’t get into Harvest Moon.

Glitchk0ud1001 and Redhorse like this.
  3. Scarlet

Scarlet In Memoriam of Mag Staff Mouse

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Scarlet is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Middleish North-Left
    God BLESS Marvelous! Natsume has been beating the good Harvest Moon name into the dirt with the recent releases, I'm glad they don't have the chance to screw over an already established title.

4. KirovAir

KirovAir Dutch Alcoholic Programmer

Dec 7, 2006
    Netherlands
    Netherlands
    By many this is considered as one of the 'best'of the series. And by me as well. Can't wait!

MarkDarkness likes this.
  5. Scarlet

Scarlet In Memoriam of Mag Staff Mouse

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Scarlet is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Middleish North-Left
    If they add some of the QoL changes from HMDS to Mineral Town I think this might be the best game of the series. Here's hoping!

KyleHyde and CallmeBerto like this.
  6. chaoskagami

chaoskagami G̷̘̫̍̈́̊̓̈l̴̙͔̞͠i̵̳͊ţ̸̙͇͒̓c̵̬̪̯̥̳͒͌̚h̵̹̭͛̒̊̽̚

pip Developer
    Mar 26, 2016
    United States
    ↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
    I mean, okay. I liked Mineral Town as much as the next guy; it was the first game that set some precedents for how the Rune Factory games would later work (read: The cave you delve down for ore.) It's also one of the best HM games, period. I'll buy it.

But do we really need a remake of this? Honestly, every time I see "remake" nowadays I frown. It's like the entire industry is just regurgitating the same things over and over because they don't have enough creative talent to make something new that blows us away. What exactly happened to get us in this rut?

7. leonmagnus99

leonmagnus99 GBAtemp Psycho!

Apr 2, 2013
    United States
    Seinegald
    this looks soooo charming and fun, looking forward to this one!

8. Chary
    OP

Chary Never sleeps.

pip Senior Editor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    I would agree, but with Marvelous publishing and developing Doraemon Story of Seasons, Story of Seasons itself, and Rune Factory 4S and 5, I think this is a company that's earned the right to remake a game, compared to others who churn out constant rehashes.

KyleHyde likes this.
  9. Kadji

Kadji GBAtemp Regular

Nov 16, 2006
    Germany
    Germany, NRW
    I think the answer to that question is very complex and depends very much on the Studio that is doing the games:

- For a remake you already have the core game finished, all you need to do is to write a new engine, recreate the assets and you are basically "done". A remake, depending on the amount of additional content, can be done quickly by a big team or as a side project by a smaller team while the majority of staff can continue to work on "bigger" games (that are new).
    - Remakes of beloved games are guaranteed to sell well. Look at the FF7 Remake hype. Or how about the Links Awakening hype?
    - Some of the games that are getting remakes are very old but had excelent gameplay. I would argue that some of those golden classics even have better gameplay in this day and age than some of the big AAA games that may look good but play like shit (I am looking at you Battlefield V). Having a way to experience those games without the need to get a old console, especially with old systems that look like crap on a HDTV without "expensive" equipment, is a good thing in my opinion.
    - Like I said, some of those games are very old, or in the case of the Secret of Mana collection they never made it outside japan (Saiken Densetsu 3 - Trials of Mana). Giving younger people an opportunity to experience those games with modern graphics is also a good thing in my opinion.
    - Sometimes the developer wanted to include stuff in the original game that was not possible because of technical limitations (e.g. Stop'n Swap from Banjoo Kazooie). In a remake on modern consoles they might finally be able to implement every feature they envisioned for the original game.

Also, and this irritates me: The original versions of the games are not going to dissappear. If someone doe not like the remake of XYZ it's still possible to play the old games while people that have no fond memories of those old games can enjoy the remake.

Seriously, if done well a proper remake/remaster is a Win-Win-Win situation for everyone.

ValiantChan and chaoskagami like this.
  10. altorn

altorn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 15, 2007
    Canada
    Toronto, Ontario
    Can they remake my whole childhood too?
    I'm looking forward to this.

11. eriol33

eriol33 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 2, 2014
    Indonesia
    the only harvest moon that I like! I think the GBA version is superior than the PSX version

12. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Guru

Jan 2, 2009
    Germany
    I guess it's time to get a basket, bet on horses and making a killing in the fall festival again.

acho and CallmeBerto like this.
  13. Greymane

Greymane Lurking gbatemp pony

Jul 7, 2015
    Netherlands
    In your closet, watching you clop
    I don't need it,
    I don't need it, I don't need it,
    I NEED IT NOW!!!

leonmagnus99 likes this.
  14. CallmeBerto

CallmeBerto The Lone Wanderer

GBAtemp Patron
    CallmeBerto is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 1, 2017
    United States
    USA
    Don't forget the one on Spring 18.

Man if they add a few QoL improvements from the later ones like Story of Seasons:ToT and AP it could easily be the best one yet.

15. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Guru

Jan 2, 2009
    Germany
    as long as they don't force in the later ones gnome features, I'll be fine.

16. Minox

Minox Thanks for the fish

Former Staff
    Aug 27, 2007
    Japan
    Yes please, this is my favorite Harvest Moon game by far.

17. Justinde75

Justinde75 Capsule Co's VGM Addict

GBAtemp Patron
    Justinde75 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Feb 14, 2016
    Germany
    West City
    Yes my favourite Harvest Moon! It sadly looks a bit...cheap?

SonyUSA likes this.
  18. kuwanger

kuwanger GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jul 26, 2006
    United States
    Harvest Moon: Mo' Minerals, Mo' Problems

Never really got into Harvest Moon. Too time consuming for me in a way that never really jelled with me. Still, I can understand the appeal of it. I do like the art style. Would actually have enjoyed something like an action RPG without the farming. Or an Ancient Cave like setup.

As an outsider to the series, not really sure why they'd want to do a remake. Sounds like all it'd do is minimize the amount of work on redesigning the story/structure of the game. Are those things really such big things to work on that they couldn't make another, unique sequel?

19. MintTears

MintTears Member

Newcomer
    Dec 10, 2018
    United States
    Well, Harvest Moon is supposed to mainly be a farming simulator. I can't answer that, but, mainline Story of Seasons has yet to establish itself on the switch, and right now they need something that is good, and something that will likely re-surge former players and possibly call them back, alongside get a new audience. Also this might call back those casual fans that got confused with all naming nonsense that occurred. This isn't just any remake, it is a remake of one of the most beloved games of the entire franchise, one that hasn't gotten a remake, and only got a revamp in two countries only shortly after it's release.

Scarlet likes this.
  20. LiveLatios

LiveLatios Profesionnal Scalie

Nov 16, 2015
    Canada
    why
    sometimes it's more than just graphics, sometimes even the controls are too convoluted and far too dated and remakes usually fid this

a zelda 1 remake would be nice because fuck the 4 direction controls and the limited sword range for example