Homebrew Unofficial 3DS RetroArch builds

CaptainHIT

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'll look into each core, one at a time. Can't promise anyting tho.

I did make some changes to the Game&Watch core. Should be fixed in the upcoming nightly builds.
It's also worth mentioning, with the latest builds XMB seems to be stable again in my experience.
Please make some changes to the Neo Geo core in the upcoming nightly builds too so it will not save into the root of the SD card anymore. :)

MrHuu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Handy is handed over to the buildbot. It's available in the latest nightly's.
Make sure to copy the corresponding .core file from '/retroarch/cores/' included in the download.

Where I find all emulators? not all here to download

The builds provided here are additional to the official retroarch builds. Setup the latest nightly builds from the buildbot and add the cores you like from here.

Please make some changes to the Neo Geo core in the upcoming nightly builds too so it will not save into the root of the SD card anymore. :)

I have not found the exact issue yet. The custom build from here includes a dirty fix which will not be included in the official git. I will look into it, but it may take a while.

CaptainHIT

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I have not found the exact issue yet. The custom build from here includes a dirty fix which will not be included in the official git. I will look into it, but it may take a while.
I'm looking forward to it. How do the FBAlpha Arcade, CPS1/CPS2 or MAME cores do this stuff? They save to "retroarch/cores/savefiles" or "retroarch/cores/savefiles/mame2000 or 2003" directories.

angelhp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

CaptainHIT

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

matt!

Trophies
Website
www.gingerbeardman.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You can try np2kai (an emulator for Japanese PC-98) on 3DS to play many of the same games and you will see what a problem the resolution is. Bilinear filter helps a bit, but it still doesn't look great downscaled onto 3DS.

Most X68k games use 256x240 resolution.
Where did you read that?

from Wikipedia Sharp X68000 specs
Screen resolutions (all out of 65,536 color palette)
256×240 pixels @ 16 to 65,536 colors
256×256 pixels @ 16 to 65,536 colors
512×240 pixels @ 16 to 65,536 colors
512×256 pixels @ 16 to 65,536 colors
512×512 pixels @ 16 to 65,536 colors
640×480 pixels @ 16 to 64 colors
768×512 pixels @ 16 to 64 colors
1024×1024 pixels @ 16 to 64 colors

Most games I have tried on PX68K (eg the below golf game) run at a resolution of 512x512 (for maximum colours) and this resulted in very ugly downscaling on some platforms that rendered the image unreadable. Using correct aspect ratio stretches image horizontally by a factor of 1.375 to become 704x512.

As a reminder 3DS has resolutions of: 400×240 (top) and 320×240 (bottom)

https://refuge.tokyo/x68k/x68000/00380.html

01140.png

full list of games with screenshots: https://refuge.tokyo/x68k/x68000.html click the "English" flag

Last edited by matt!,
Reactions: DarthDub

CaptainHIT

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yes, I know all those resolutions. But when I meant most, I meant arcade ports. Konami mostly uses 256*224 resolution in their games. Capcom mostly uses their standart arcade resolution as in 384*224. The system uses a Hi-Res resolution but the OS switches to a lower res when the game starts. Most OS dependent games (notably if the mouse is in use) are using 512*512 (like Strip Fighter II etc.) And yes, emulators are always stretching them to fit the whole monitor screen emulating a 4:3 resolution to give the real feeling.

PS: These are taken directly from the emulator in 1x 1:1 mode. No stretching, no dithering, nothing extra. Just all the pixels which you'd see on a real Sharp X68000 monitor (but only fitted). :)

gradius.png
gradius2.png
stridertitle.png
strider.png
After Burner.png
Strip Fighter II.png
Strip Fighter II 2.png

Last edited by CaptainHIT,
Reactions: matt!

CaptainHIT

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
By the way, is something possible like this? Because that would be a great core, no extra setup screen, just load up ADF/IPF and run. Just do a swap button for loading the next disk.

CaptainHIT

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The reason FBA has separate cores is so they can fit.

Amiga has just come to SNES Classic so maybe it will make it to 3DS?

While that's true, FBAlpha 2012 still can load and play smaller size Neo Geo and CPS games. Everybody know FBAlpha core is split up for having RAM left for larger roms. But Amiga doesn't need that. I just mentioned it because its possibility (like it was possible in FBAlpha cores) and ease of use. I was the guy who put the disk straight into the Amiga and let it boot up and play it right away. Who likes to fiddle around with setting up the emu or loading up config files? You don't need that in NES/SNES/SMS/GBA/SMD/NeoGeo/CPS roms. Why not the same with Amiga too? Again: it's just a suggestion, a wish, a dream of a player, giving an idea to coders, not an order. ;)

Reactions: matt!

xxangelxx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
While that's true, FBAlpha 2012 still can load and play smaller size Neo Geo and CPS games. Everybody know FBAlpha core is split up for having RAM left for larger roms. But Amiga doesn't need that. I just mentioned it because its possibility (like it was possible in FBAlpha cores) and ease of use. I was the guy who put the disk straight into the Amiga and let it boot up and play it right away. Who likes to fiddle around with setting up the emu or loading up config files? You don't need that in NES/SNES/SMS/GBA/SMD/NeoGeo/CPS roms. Why not the same with Amiga too? Again: it's just a suggestion, a wish, a dream of a player, giving an idea to coders, not an order. ;)

Amiga on n3ds, that's a good idea :)

Reactions: CaptainHIT

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: unless nintendo is going to start selling consoles at a loss that thing won't be cheap based on...