OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Well... I just made an interesting discovery.
The demo of Smash does work :wacko:

I don't know what to think anymore.

other than that, using FBI to import seed fails with a HTTP error, and I put the SD card issue out of question considering that I never had any problem with it, and I seriously doubt it is related to a non working cart o.o
That would be on the very last resort.

Mythical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your sd card could fail at any time. Doesn't matter if it always worked up until then. Its either card reader, improper setup, something unknown, or your sd card. I could be missing something though. I'd just start with a new sd

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Your sd card could fail at any time. Doesn't matter if it always worked up until then. Its either card reader, improper setup, something unknown, or your sd card. I could be missing something though. I'd just start with a new sd
Tried a friend's cart on my 3ds, and it just worked.
The problem is my cart, however.

Right now, I'm dumping a CIA from the working cart and see if it actually works this time.

Mythical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Right now, I'm dumping a CIA from the working cart and see if it actually works this time.
I misread the cart deal thought you tried your cart on their system lol. heard something once where oversaving could kill a cart (like A LOT of saving) probably unrelated though

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I have to agree with @MythicalData. If you have never checked your SD card before with H2testw or have not done so in a long time, it should be done so you know 100% this isn't a hardware problem that's acting up as a software one.

If your card is faulty or fake, you can lose save data and won't know until the damage's done. Go through the motion of doing the test once, and if it comes clean, you don't have to worry about it again (until the next unexpected hiccup).

Reactions: Mythical

VinsCool

OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
I misread the cart deal thought you tried your cart on their system lol. heard something once where oversaving could kill a cart (like A LOT of saving) probably unrelated though
This is honestly worrying, considering that I didn't play Smash that much.

I have to agree with @MythicalData. If you have never checked your SD card before with H2testw or have not done so in a long time, it should be done so you know 100% this isn't a hardware problem that's acting up as a software one.

If your card is faulty or fake, you can lose save data and won't know until the damage's done. Go through the motion of doing the test once, and if it comes clean, you don't have to worry about it again (until the next unexpected hiccup).
That's indeed true. However, I for now believe that it's fine, since I barely use my console at all, and that last time it was cleanly formatted as a little more than a year ago, after the release of B9S.
Also, I currently have little to no space to backup my SD card so that will wait for now.

So I'm installing the other generated .cia (that ended up being a bit smaller, but marked as V00, while my dump was V01.
I'll report back soon once it's finished.

Okay! So...

The installed .cia from that other cart works!

Booted to a new game, but it's working.

I suppose my cart is good to waste, unless it could be fixed by any way.

Mythical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is honestly worrying, considering that I didn't play Smash that much.

That's indeed true. However, I for now believe that it's fine, since I barely use my console at all, and that last time it was cleanly formatted as a little more than a year ago, after the release of B9S.
Also, I currently have little to no space to backup my SD card so that will wait for now.

So I'm installing the other generated .cia (that ended up being a bit smaller, but marked as V00, while my dump was V01.

Okay! So...

The installed .cia from that other cart works!

Booted to a new game, but it's working.

I suppose my cart is good to waste, unless it could be fixed by any way.
unless you scan your sd I don't think your cart is 100% killed for sure, It probably is but be better to be sure either way glad you found a solution

VinsCool

OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
unless you scan your sd I don't think your cart is 100% killed for sure, It probably is but be better to be sure either way glad you found a solution
Well yeah.

I'm stuck with a nonworking cart though :P

Managed to dump the save data, copied over the .cia, so nothing was lost, thankfully

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

It is not so much the formatting of the card I'm worried about. It's whether or not your SD card is what it says it's supposed to be and whether any of its NAND cells have failed.

I used this analogy a lot when it comes to troubleshooting 3DS issues. You cannot build a house on any ground without first surveying and finding that the foundation is solid. You can use the strongest materials and best design in laying the bricks, hammered nails, and dense wood, but none of that will matter if the ground has a hidden sink hole, part of an area prone to flooding, or other weather/geological considerations that house did not take into accoutn for; you get the drift of basic 101 house building.

Edit - Same applies for any electronics with flash memory. Protect yourself by checking!

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I was going to suggest that maybe if you wiped the save data on your cart (as opposed to your SD card), maybe it could be persuaded to spring back to life.

However, if the .cia you generate from your cart isn't even the same size as a .cia from another cart, then that's probably a pretty bad sign.

Reactions: VinsCool

VinsCool

OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
I was going to suggest that maybe if you wiped the save data on your cart (as opposed to your SD card), maybe it could be persuaded to spring back to life.

However, if the .cia you generate from your cart isn't even the same size as a .cia from another cart, then that's probably a pretty bad sign.
It's even weirder that the savefile from the non working cart does work as I dumped it and copied it over the .cia.

VinsCool

OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
It's not. You just found your data is fine. The cart is broken. sorry for your loss.
Has anyone ever experience similar sort of situations?
I hear story of chewed carts that were left under the rain for months and still work fine.
I must admit I'm puzzled as to why my cart suddenly died like that, lol

KyleHyde

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Has anyone ever experience similar sort of situations?
I hear story of chewed carts that were left under the rain for months and still work fine.
I must admit I'm puzzled as to why my cart suddenly died like that, lol
I haven't experienced the same thing when I still had some 3DS carts, but I do know that I had a couple of similar situations when it came to past consoles and handhelds.
  • Bought a used copy of Mario Party 3 from GameStop during high school once. The cartridge was completely dead; returned it the next day.
  • My copy of Animal Crossing: Wild World was unable to keep its save file as it kept corrupting it (after years of owning it). Eventually, it just stopped working and the rare occasions where it worked before would promptly lead up to a freeze.
  • The Pokemon R/G/B/Y games were famous for that whole dead battery thing and my copy was no exception. I bought a second (used) copy at some point and I think it eventually just stopped working at all.
  • It's not a cartridge nor a Nintendo game, but my only copy of Crash Team Racing died at some point. The disc itself was still in good condition; it was probably a faulty copy.

Reactions: VinsCool

SomeGuy4Twenty

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Hello, I sometimes get the same generic type error when loading a Pokémon Y cartridge (it's really random, sometimes it does it several times in a row)! I bought it at a cex shop used. Heres what I have already done:
-Other cartridges of mine still work
-I dumped the cartridge into a cia. and installed it, the game ran ok and I get to the initial room. But when I restore the save I had from the cartridge into the SD card Pokémon Y I just installed it returned to that same error! So I unninstalled it.

I have formatted completely the SD card and ran that H2 thingy program completely during the past weekend and it gave no errors so I don't think I need to do it again right? I think the problem resides in the cartridge? Or is it the save?

KyleHyde

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Hello, I sometimes get the same generic type error when loading a Pokémon Y cartridge (it's really random, sometimes it does it several times in a row)! I bought it at a cex shop used. Heres what I have already done:
-Other cartridges of mine still work
-I dumped the cartridge into a cia. and installed it, the game ran ok and I get to the initial room. But when I restore the save I had from the cartridge into the SD card Pokémon Y I just installed it returned to that same error! So I unninstalled it.

I have formatted completely the SD card and ran that H2 thingy program completely during the past weekend and it gave no errors so I don't think I need to do it again right? I think the problem resides in the cartridge? Or is it the save?
Has this happened to any of your other games or just that one in particular? It's most likely that you've run into the same situation as the OP: your game cartridge is faulty and no longer working properly, hence why even the save data you've backed up is throwing out an error when restored.

SomeGuy4Twenty

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Has this happened to any of your other games or just that one in particular? It's most likely that you've run into the same situation as the OP: your game cartridge is faulty and no longer working properly, hence why even the save data you've backed up is throwing out an error when restored.
All the cartridges I have are used in the exception of one (I have easier access to used ones than new ones) and I think they all work (haven't tested every cartridge, when I can I'll do that and comeback here to report).
So if the cartridge is damaged, I'm ducked right? If I create a new cia from the cartridge without restoring the save and start over will that installed cia work?

KyleHyde

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
All the cartridges I have are used in the exception of one (I have easier access to used ones than new ones) and I think they all work (haven't tested every cartridge, when I can I'll do that and comeback here to report).
So if the cartridge is damaged, I'm ducked right? If I create a new cia from the cartridge without restoring the save and start over will that installed cia work?
Yeah, there's not much you can do about it.
The cia you mentioned in your earlier post is dumped from that same cartridge, no? If so, you don't really need to dump a new cia. Just delete the save from your system and start over.

SomeGuy4Twenty

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Yeah, there's not much you can do about it.
The cia you mentioned in your earlier post is dumped from that same cartridge, no? If so, you don't really need to dump a new cia. Just delete the save from your system and start over.
To answer your question, yes, its the cia from the cartridge.
Thanks for the quick answer and support!! I'll report if the other cartridges work later

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill