Former Staff
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hot off the press... information from the US magazine Game Informer issue 133 (May 2004) reveals specifications of the awaited Nintendo Dual Screen (DS). Whilst the information (to the best of my knowledge) hasn't been confirmed by Nintendo, I'll provide it here for your pleasure.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

CPU Core:

Main Processor - ARM946E-S (67MHz)
Cache: Instructions 8kKByte, Data 4KByte
TCM: Instructions 32kKByte, Data 16KByte
Sub Processor - ARM7TDMI (33MHz)

Memory:

Main Memory - 4Mbyte (Debugger Use 8Mbyte)
ARM9/ARM7 Shared - 32KByte (16kbyte x2)
ARM7 Dedicated Internal Work RAM - 64KByte
VRAM - 656KByte

LCD:

Display Size - 256 x 192 x RGB Dots x 2 Screens
Number of Colors Displayed - 262,144 Colors (R:G:B=6:6:6)

2D Graphics Engine:

BG - Maximum 4 Layers
OBJ - Maximum 128 Objects

3D Graphics Engine:

Coordinate Transform Capability - Maximum 4M Vertices/second
Polygon Draw Rate - Maximum 120K Polygons/second
Pixel Fill Rate - Maximum 30M Pixels/second

Sound:

16ch ADPCM/PCM (Maximum 8ch alocatable to PSG)
Microphone Input

Wireless Communication:

IEEE802.11-Based proprietary protocol

Input Devices:

Touch Panel
+ Key, A, B, R, L, START, SELECT (X, Y under consideration)

Power Management:

Sleep mode capable (Timer set, WakeUp on wireless-recieve, ect.) Power management capability for 2D engine, rendering engine, geometry engine, and LCD.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

So, there you have it. Feel free to post your comments.

.//Panda635

Trophies
Website
panda635.skatelife.net
XP
Country
United States
Practically cept the one in the magazine is in english
tongue.gif

E

exile

Hmm interesting a lot of what I have heard or seen on other places. It is odd though that it still says the x and y are undecided. I mean they are showing it in 2 weeks at E3 and if people are making games for it they would have to know by now I would think if it was for sure to have those buttons. I would just hope that nintendo wouldn't make the mistake of not having those buttons. Even if it means the risk of tons of snes ports (some which I welcome
smile.gif
) I still think it is important to have at least that many buttons for a handheld. Not more than that really, but that many at least. I think the biggest thing with the gba is a lot of games are too simple due to the button layout calling for it. I don't want 20 buttons like new controllers have for home consoles as then things get too complex, but the snes was just perfect in that area. Hopefully nintendo will realize that. But this whole announcement doesn't seem much different then the supposed "nitro" internal specs document that was released. I wish I could find where I put it to see what is different or more specific.

It doesn't seem like nintendo really made it much more powerful than the gba from what I see which I find to be odd. I mean it is a little more powerful, and has another screen and some nice additional features the gba lacks, but I am just surprised they didn't bump it up considerably. I guess that is not nintendo's way as well all know they keep talking about how power is not the way to go and innovation is instead. I just hope it pays off and I can't wait to see this at E3.

DjFIL

Trophies
Website
homepage.mac.com
XP
Country
Canada
I can't wait to see what they show at E3. Not til then will I beable to clarify my decision between the DS or PSP. I'd like to stay with Nintendo for handheld... as I really like what they have done. But the PSP is just so tempting.

flaming_chicken

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
can't wait till e3 to see all the new things, i think nintendo might just beat it's compeditors in the whole handheld thing. but who knows, ...i don't know about yall but i won't stay loyal to nintendo if the psp is better or sells better.

dib

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Has there been any information yet to determine whether it will run GBA games? I've been hoping this will be the solution to the SNESadvance problems, but it would need to use currently existing flash carts.

Elrinth

:Master beyond your imagination:
Trophies
Website
www.elrinth.com
XP
Country
since i'm prety much drunk nw.. i don't get mouch of this.. bt i do knw this si the dual screen.,. facause i saw that grat..

let me hae fun... i bought 256 memeory stik npw from son...y cost $120 about... i'm very tiren.. oh shiz.. i'm sending it with my rtother.. but guesss what... I'll give EVERYONE a hands on on the nintenndo dualscrenn. incase no one here goes to e3... cause my brother, Mattias Holmgren, ehhm.. I can see my self misspelling his name.. *corrects

anyways.. he's going to e3.. and I'm sennding my camera wit him- =D and I'll give exclusive stuff on tehj shiz he takes pictures of.. and btw.. he's got invited to some great stuff?!... I'lll make sure he takes photos/videos of Final fantasy on GBA and ninteod o dual scren. any else got any suggestions i'd force him to take a photo of? *amd pfpricse and I'd ask him what he thoguth abotuth teh things.

Smef

The GbaTemp Hitchhiker
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.smefworks.com
XP
Country
United States
since i'm prety much drunk nw.. i don't get mouch of this.. bt i do knw this si the dual screen.,. facause i saw that grat..

let me hae fun... i bought 256 memeory stik npw from son...y cost $120 about... i'm very tiren.. oh shiz.. i'm sending it with my rtother.. but guesss what... I'll give EVERYONE a hands on on the nintenndo dualscrenn. incase no one here goes to e3... cause my brother, Mattias Holmgren, ehhm.. I can see my self misspelling his name.. *corrects

anyways.. he's going to e3.. and I'm sennding my camera wit him- =D and I'll give exclusive stuff on tehj shiz he takes pictures of.. and btw.. he's got invited to some great stuff?!... I'lll make sure he takes photos/videos of Final fantasy on GBA and ninteod o dual scren. any else got any suggestions i'd force him to take a photo of? *amd pfpricse and I'd ask him what he thoguth abotuth teh things.
lol, yep, you're drunk all right!

Synthetic-God

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'n going to e3, but I already know all about project nitro and the system will not be called Nintendo DS it'll be called XXXXXXXX hehehe...

we're working on an unannouced project for the system... it's a really really cool... and really innovative...

think how the GC controller is really strange looking, but it works so well the way they designed it... ya project nitro is like that hehe

PSP is for mature people its nearly 3x as expensive as nitro and focus more on cinematic style gameplay...

nitro is all about pure cheap fun... and it's nothing like you've ever seen before...

when you guys see it in 2 weeks, you'll know what i'm talking about when I say it's strange but in your hands it makes sense...

touch screen is awesome too
smile.gif
without out it the 2 screen game style would suck as the controls would be screwy (tho you can program the controls to either screen on the fly or whatever)

from what I've seen it will put the GBA to shame and for the same price as the GBA it'll be a mega hit

While PSP will have a harder time getting over the pricing hump it has

Tbone182a

Trophies
XP
Country
I'n going to e3, but I already know all about project nitro and the system will not be called Nintendo DS it'll be called XXXXXXXX hehehe...

(..)

when you guys see it in 2 weeks, you'll know what i'm talking about when I say it's strange but in your hands it makes sense...
about the first paragraph: I've heard the same rumours from someone inside the Ninty Corp, but according to that you've placed a few X's too much
tongue.gif

the second paragraph: OMGWTF!!1!!one! We've got Miyamoto hanging around here! That's exactly the same he said a few times now
dry.gif

sigfried

Trophies
Website
www.dimensions-sega.fr.st
XP
Country
France
Technically on the paper, nintendo always offer a cool console, now i just want to know if all that stuff is better than the gba and in which way... wait and see for games.

btw (off topics too) shining force on gba is the first good sega game i see on a non sega console. Even the sound is excellent.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo