Un-official Dual Screen DS Specs

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Angelical_1, Apr 30, 2004.

Apr 30, 2004
  1. Angelical_1
    OP

Former Staff Angelical_1 Former Staff

United Kingdom
    Hot off the press... information from the US magazine Game Informer issue 133 (May 2004) reveals specifications of the awaited Nintendo Dual Screen (DS). Whilst the information (to the best of my knowledge) hasn't been confirmed by Nintendo, I'll provide it here for your pleasure.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

CPU Core:

Main Processor - ARM946E-S (67MHz)
    Cache: Instructions 8kKByte, Data 4KByte
    TCM: Instructions 32kKByte, Data 16KByte
    Sub Processor - ARM7TDMI (33MHz)

Memory:

Main Memory - 4Mbyte (Debugger Use 8Mbyte)
    ARM9/ARM7 Shared - 32KByte (16kbyte x2)
    ARM7 Dedicated Internal Work RAM - 64KByte
    VRAM - 656KByte

LCD:

Display Size - 256 x 192 x RGB Dots x 2 Screens
    Number of Colors Displayed - 262,144 Colors (R:G:B=6:6:6)

2D Graphics Engine:

BG - Maximum 4 Layers
    OBJ - Maximum 128 Objects

3D Graphics Engine:

Coordinate Transform Capability - Maximum 4M Vertices/second
    Polygon Draw Rate - Maximum 120K Polygons/second
    Pixel Fill Rate - Maximum 30M Pixels/second

Sound:

16ch ADPCM/PCM (Maximum 8ch alocatable to PSG)
    Microphone Input

Wireless Communication:

IEEE802.11-Based proprietary protocol

Input Devices:

Touch Panel
    + Key, A, B, R, L, START, SELECT (X, Y under consideration)

Power Management:

Sleep mode capable (Timer set, WakeUp on wireless-recieve, ect.) Power management capability for 2D engine, rendering engine, geometry engine, and LCD.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

So, there you have it. Feel free to post your comments.

2. GyroidFanatic

Member GyroidFanatic GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Isn't this the exact same as the stuff on that "Project Nitro" image thingy that was leaked?

3. assassinz

Member assassinz Visoly 512 Flash Advance Linker Xtreme Master!

United States
    Sounds good. I wonder how emulator-developers feel about these specs.

4. .//Panda635

Member .//Panda635 Advanced Member

United States
    Practically cept the one in the magazine is in english [​IMG]

5. exile

exile Newbie

Hmm interesting a lot of what I have heard or seen on other places. It is odd though that it still says the x and y are undecided. I mean they are showing it in 2 weeks at E3 and if people are making games for it they would have to know by now I would think if it was for sure to have those buttons. I would just hope that nintendo wouldn't make the mistake of not having those buttons. Even if it means the risk of tons of snes ports (some which I welcome [​IMG] ) I still think it is important to have at least that many buttons for a handheld. Not more than that really, but that many at least. I think the biggest thing with the gba is a lot of games are too simple due to the button layout calling for it. I don't want 20 buttons like new controllers have for home consoles as then things get too complex, but the snes was just perfect in that area. Hopefully nintendo will realize that. But this whole announcement doesn't seem much different then the supposed "nitro" internal specs document that was released. I wish I could find where I put it to see what is different or more specific.

It doesn't seem like nintendo really made it much more powerful than the gba from what I see which I find to be odd. I mean it is a little more powerful, and has another screen and some nice additional features the gba lacks, but I am just surprised they didn't bump it up considerably. I guess that is not nintendo's way as well all know they keep talking about how power is not the way to go and innovation is instead. I just hope it pays off and I can't wait to see this at E3.

6. megabug7

Member megabug7 Forum Relic

United Kingdom
    All this is jargon to me. Care to clarify what it all means? [​IMG]

7. DjFIL

Member DjFIL GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    I can't wait to see what they show at E3. Not til then will I beable to clarify my decision between the DS or PSP. I'd like to stay with Nintendo for handheld... as I really like what they have done. But the PSP is just so tempting.

8. flaming_chicken

Newcomer flaming_chicken Member

can't wait till e3 to see all the new things, i think nintendo might just beat it's compeditors in the whole handheld thing. but who knows, ...i don't know about yall but i won't stay loyal to nintendo if the psp is better or sells better.

9. dib

Member dib GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Has there been any information yet to determine whether it will run GBA games? I've been hoping this will be the solution to the SNESadvance problems, but it would need to use currently existing flash carts.

10. DjFIL

Member DjFIL GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    roumers say that the DS will accept GBA games (but not GB or GBC).

11. Elrinth

Member Elrinth :Master beyond your imagination:

Sweden
    since i'm prety much drunk nw.. i don't get mouch of this.. bt i do knw this si the dual screen.,. facause i saw that grat..

let me hae fun... i bought 256 memeory stik npw from son...y cost $120 about... i'm very tiren.. oh shiz.. i'm sending it with my rtother.. but guesss what... I'll give EVERYONE a hands on on the nintenndo dualscrenn. incase no one here goes to e3... cause my brother, Mattias Holmgren, ehhm.. I can see my self misspelling his name.. *corrects

anyways.. he's going to e3.. and I'm sennding my camera wit him- =D and I'll give exclusive stuff on tehj shiz he takes pictures of.. and btw.. he's got invited to some great stuff?!... I'lll make sure he takes photos/videos of Final fantasy on GBA and ninteod o dual scren. any else got any suggestions i'd force him to take a photo of? *amd pfpricse and I'd ask him what he thoguth abotuth teh things.

12. Smef

Former Staff Smef The GbaTemp Hitchhiker

United States
    lol, yep, you're drunk all right!

13. ConraDargo

Member ConraDargo Flashback Fanatic

Sweden
    Oh goodie Elrinth, now you've made a fool of yourself [​IMG] You should have made a spellcheck before posting that! [​IMG]

14. AutoPrime

Member AutoPrime GBAtemp bum

United States
    ill be buying this AND the psp [​IMG] yay

15. Synthetic-God

Newcomer Synthetic-God Member

United States
    I'n going to e3, but I already know all about project nitro and the system will not be called Nintendo DS it'll be called XXXXXXXX hehehe...

we're working on an unannouced project for the system... it's a really really cool... and really innovative...

think how the GC controller is really strange looking, but it works so well the way they designed it... ya project nitro is like that hehe

PSP is for mature people its nearly 3x as expensive as nitro and focus more on cinematic style gameplay...

nitro is all about pure cheap fun... and it's nothing like you've ever seen before...

when you guys see it in 2 weeks, you'll know what i'm talking about when I say it's strange but in your hands it makes sense...

touch screen is awesome too [​IMG] without out it the 2 screen game style would suck as the controls would be screwy (tho you can program the controls to either screen on the fly or whatever)

from what I've seen it will put the GBA to shame and for the same price as the GBA it'll be a mega hit

While PSP will have a harder time getting over the pricing hump it has

16. Mawlock

Newcomer Mawlock Newbie

That's some pretty nice specs, but I don't think there's any need for X and Y buttons. L and R are enough for me. [​IMG]

17. Tbone182a

Member Tbone182a Advanced Member

about the first paragraph: I've heard the same rumours from someone inside the Ninty Corp, but according to that you've placed a few X's too much [​IMG]

the second paragraph: OMGWTF!!1!!one! We've got Miyamoto hanging around here! That's exactly the same he said a few times now [​IMG]

18. Dragonlord

Member Dragonlord Linux-Dragon of quick wit and sharp tongue

Switzerland
    i'll keep it like always... patience. first the release, then the comments. hyping is not my case [​IMG]

19. gba2002

Member gba2002 GBA SP Masta

Australia
    Nothing we havent seen b4, with some extra stuff added. However, it still is a teaser. Great stuff.

20. sigfried

Member sigfried GBAtemp Advanced Fan

France
    Technically on the paper, nintendo always offer a cool console, now i just want to know if all that stuff is better than the gba and in which way... wait and see for games.

btw (off topics too) shining force on gba is the first good sega game i see on a non sega console. Even the sound is excellent.