• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

U.S. Supreme Court set to overturn Roe v. Wade abortion rights decision

Dark_Phoras

Master of Hounds
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
@SG854 Yes, well, then be comprehensive that your access to certain public spaces should be restricted when you're a risk to other people's health. My body has the right to be protected from your body.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The right to privacy itself is rather vague and while present in common law, it's not an enumerated right

We get that right through the 14th amendment as Lacius alluded to

However (and this is touched on in the official document) we don't have a right to privacy when it comes to say taking a drug not blessed by the government or engaging in sex work

Both of these things would be protected as private matters if there was a sweeping right to privacy as regards to our body - why should the government say under what circumstances I can have sex (for money or not) or whether I can smoke the leaves or buds from a plant. But here we are in a world where they can - because the right is vague and applies only in some circumstances

That's why the official document goes to great lengths to talk about which matters we are allowed to have in peace and which we aren't

This is the trouble with unenumerated rights and how vague the 14th amendment is
My favorite, easily abusable vague laws :glare:

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
The only people I am interested in hearing are from people who have had abortions. So far, I've heard more stories about regret than about how "abortion saved my life".

If actual problems of American culture were addressed, then maybe abortion wouldn't even be an issue. The fact that this discussion is happening is a symptom that we already exist in dystopia.

Tinfoil hat theory is that vaccine sterilization is a thing (demand for abortions is falling) and this is the latest intended to obfuscate it. But you know, there is absolutely no reason to consider that.

Last edited by tabzer,

AleronIves

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pregnancy is not contagious. Vaccination (and masking) is more about protecting other people from you than it is about protecting you from other people. The "my body my choice" concept doesn't work for viruses, since what you do with your body has public health implications for everyone else, unlike pregnancy.

wartutor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pregnancy is not contagious. Vaccination (and masking) is more about protecting other people from you than it is about protecting you from other people. The "my body my choice" concept doesn't work for viruses, since what you do with your body has public health implications for everyone else, unlike pregnancy.
Are future babies not in need of protection. It isnt their fault they have a bastard for a sperm doner or a bitch ass ho for a future mother. What about their rights. You got pregnant thats your own damn fault (minus the very small few that came from rape or other similar means). Murder is murder no matter the age. Whats stopping someone from killing a 10 year old then claiming "i didnt kill him i aborted him after 520 weeks." I know little bit of a stretch but killing a 10 year old is no different than killing a baby in the womb. They both people. People want to get an abortion i say let them, but only on the condition that they are fully sterilized mother and father afterwards. Rip out the uterus and cut out the nuts. Cant be trusted with them dont need them.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Government good when it went my way now government bad when does not go my way
Government good when it's expanding rights, government bad when it's trending toward authoritarianism and legislating morality. If you think this is the end of it and you will remain unaffected just because you aren't a woman, you've got another thing coming kiddo.

States decide as it should be if the people in the state want abortion they will vote for pro-baby murder candidates
Republicans are pretty open about wanting to spark a civil war with this shit. I'd be fine with leaving it up to the states if I could trust or believe that religious cultists would leave legal abortion states alone, but I obviously can't based on past experiences. This decision will incite terrorism, and the supreme court knows it.

Reactions: The Catboy

titan_tim

(Can't shut up)
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
You would be surprised by how much napkin math is going on in your head at all times without you even realising it, on a micro and macro scale. We as humans are constantly faced with decisions that have pros and cons, and those decisions can be represented mathematically. I would argue that large swathes of abortions are performed for purely economic reasons, particularly in the less wealthy areas of the country. A child at the wrong time can make or break one’s personal finances not just for the period of pregnancy and subsequent care, but for a lifetime due to opportunity cost. Assuming the mother chooses to care for the child, that’s 18 years of divided attention at minimum, time which could’ve otherwise been spent on gaining qualifications and/or climbing the economic ladder - you can’t make that up later in life. I’m a numbers man - can you tell? :lol:

In any case, have a nice nap. We can get back to our chat when you’re well-rested, I’m glad that I’ve given you something amusing to think about.
Oh, don't get me wrong! As you said, a large swath of abortions are for economic reasons. That's undeniable. I just don't believe that people think of it as an impact to society's economy, as your previous example was pointing to. Merely on their own financial future, and the potential prospects for the future kid. I would predict that was the major factor influencing people, whereas the situation where the parents are both financially stable, but just didn't want to have kids would be the vast minority.

I think on Fox, I saw an article saying that there have been approximately 65 million abortions since it was deemed legal. Using the math for the societal impact that you used before, it would look like it has damaged the economy. But the majority of these abortions were probably from a population which is below the poverty line, and 40-50 million extra people below the poverty line would most definitely have a negative effect on the entire country. As you said though, it's a horribly dark and inhumane way to think about this kind of topic.

x65943

pronouns big/pingus
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Government good when it's expanding rights, government bad when it's trending toward authoritarianism and legislating morality. If you think this is the end of it and you will remain unaffected just because you aren't a woman, you've got another thing coming kiddo.

Republicans are pretty open about wanting to spark a civil war with this shit. I'd be fine with leaving it up to the states if I could trust or believe that religious cultists would leave legal abortion states alone, but I obviously can't based on past experiences. This decision will incite terrorism, and the supreme court knows it.
In the same way that pro-choice will advocate for access in red states, pro-life will advocate against access in blue states

However clearly there is no constitutional power for the federal government to legislate on the matter either way - it would have to be a constitutional question (which would require ratification of 2/3 of the states, which is not possible without red and blue agreeing)

All that to say the feds are pretty much out of the abortion question practically speaking until/unless we have a change in SC justice makeup

Reactions: Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
In the same way that pro-choice will advocate for access in red states, pro-life will advocate against access in blue states
Yes, but we both know that's not going to be the full extent of it. Abortion clinics were already one of the most common targets for bombings and/or shootings. Now that they'll be isolated to just ten states or so? Vanilla ISIS is already licking their chops.

In addition to a terrorist attack, there are two other things I can guarantee will happen within the next few months. A woman will die from either miscarriage or stillbirth, the "pro-life" crowd will laugh it off. And a prominent Republican will be caught sending his mistress or daughter to get an abortion from a legal state. Predicting these things is as easy as predicting that the Earth will keep spinning.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Your "reason" tells me we should murder every person suffering from depression right now. Can you see how disgusting it is what you're saying?
Assisted suicide is already legal in a few states. Respect separation of church and state, you don't have the right to force your Christian Sharia law on everybody else.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
I guess your next Uber driver should remotely open the door and throw you to the road at 100 mph, since it's his car, right?
You know the baby is a different human being, with a different DNA, right? Or have you skipped this class in school?
If he doesn't want my money sure

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
This is going to turn really quick to "muh states rights, let the states decide if they want to make it illegal or not"

to

"YOUR….states rights?…federal law supersedes whatever liberal shit you passed...it's illegal nationwide now. Enjoy OUR big government… now about those godless commie gays getting married…”

Last edited by stanleyopar2000,

Deleted member 586536

Returned shipping and mailing
Trophies
XP
You know the baby is a different human being, with a different DNA, right? Or have you skipped this class in school?
Except you understand that the difference between a baby, a human being who is capable of existing outside of the womb fully, and a fetus, a undeveloped baby, is that a fetus, is not fully developed, and has a period of time, where it's considered okay to have an abortion. Why? Here let me put your ridiculous argument.
Your equating killing a child, with killing something that isn't even developed enough to live in the outside. That doesn't mean you can just have an abortion at all stages, it's always been generally considered safest around 12 weeks, which the women would obviously have noticed by this point.

By your assessment, male masturbation should be considered killing a child. They all have half the genetic information, and a mix of that male's background.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Thanks for signing up at LinusTechTips
  • QuarterCut @ QuarterCut:
    holey shmoley!
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Your credit card has been charged. Thank you.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Your screwdriverPlus will arrive in three weeks
    +1
  • QuarterCut @ QuarterCut:
    K64_Waddle_Dee_Artwork_1.jpg

my reaction to such information
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Press 1 for English. Press 2 for Pig Latin. Or press 3 to speak to a representative.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, i need help, i got into an argument about what genre radioactive is, and i forgot who made it
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @BakerMan, Imagine Dragons
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Dragon deez nuts across yo face GOTEEM
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    lmao now I realize that was probably the joke in the first place
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    IMAGINE DRAGON DEEZ NUTS ACROSS YO- FUCK HE BEAT ME TO IT
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You have selected 4 - Death by Snu Snu, please stand by...
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lucky bastard
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    hahahaha I'm half way through a bag off my Volcano and my tolerance is way down because I haven't been smoking much lately, so I was a little slow to catch that that was what your angle was 🤣🤣
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Also I was just excited to know a music reference for once (I am the LAST person in the world that you want on your trivia team)
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bummer webos 7.4 isnt working with dejavuln-autoroot
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    PS4 right? I think that's what mine's on. Or 5.6, maybe.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    [!] Installation failed (devmode_enabled not recognized)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    0.5 seemed to work whatever lol i wont bitch
  • Alysh_Graham @ Alysh_Graham:
    Hehehe
    Alysh_Graham @ Alysh_Graham: Hehehe