Homebrew TWPatcher - DS(i) mode screen filters and patches

• Thread starter Sono
  • Start date
  • Views 749,097
  • Replies 2,428
  • Likes 101

Are you interested in a complete replacement of TwlBg which includes all patches?

• Yes, I don't care how broken it will be!

Votes: 188 79.3%
  • No, I don't want to use even more broken stuff

Votes: 20 8.4%
  • Yes, but only in GBA mode, because I play DSi exclusives

Votes: 12 5.1%
  • No, because I only use DS and DSi mode

Votes: 17 7.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now, the screen turns black, looking like it will go into widescreen but after it's done, it doesn't go into WS. Is it because of the TWPatch filters?
Maybe.
Just re-apply the TWL Patcher (3DS version) filter, and copy over the Widescreen .cxi file again. There will be no more issues after that.

Midou360

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Morocco
Everyone has been waiting long enough. It's 31C at 21:58 and I'm having a heatstroke. Fuck this.

I packaged the secret PC version. No pattern selection, sorry. Not that it's useful because the widescreen patch writes an identity matrix on boot.

Put unpatched TwlBg.cxi or section0.bin next to mkpatch.exe and rename it as section0.bin
Run ./mkpatch.exe asd 1010
That will create TwlBg.cxi which you can copy to your 3DS

The exe is in a zip to bypass "security" checks.

the "asd" part can be anything except "agb"
"1010" is a binary bitmask, 0th bit is rightmost, zerofill
bit list:
0 CTR_Redshift
1 debug text
2 trainer mode
3 DMPGL wide
4 "HID" patch, source code says "remove opposing DPAD check"
7 "DEBUG" patch, source code says "hidden debug patch"

rest of the bits must be zero or else fail

Note for patch selection:
If "bytes used" reports 100% or more then remove either the debug text or the redshift code!

https://puu.sh/E43fN/f7f3eb2f61.zip

awesome work sono! but i think you should take a break, considering the condition you're actually living in i don't recommend you to work constantly like that :)

Reactions: Sono and DSoryu

DSoryu

GBA/NDS Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
@Sono thank you very much for this, I know it is still some kind of POC and more has to be done, but it looks very impressive already, hats off! :yay3ds:

@Robz8 I tried your method several times and unfortunately it does not work. However, when I manually move the WS patch to the sysmodules folder inside luma folder, it works without any problem except that TWLmenu and no WS supported games look stretched. I have everything named correctly, and the setting for 16:10 in TwiLightMenu enabled, as well as the latest version updated through TWLMenu updater.

Last edited by DSoryu,
Reactions: Sono

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Ah, so that is what "No pattern selection" meant, sorry didn't really get the terminology

Allow me some more noob questions: If the widescreen patch writes an identity into the matrix, Does that mean that you can't have both improved image quality (through a filter/pattern) and widescreen at the same time?
If that is the case could changing between them be something trivial or you would have to "settle" with one or another?

God I hope I didn't say something too stupid haha, and please keep taking care of yourself dude, those temperatures sounds like pure dread.

The 3DS version will have support for both, but the filter will only be applied on the Y matrix, so the filter will only be visible vertically, because the widescreen patch HAS TO write an identity matrix in order to enable proper stretching. This could be easily fixed, but not now. I still have to do the automatic pattern generation for unique matrixes to work.

Hyper99

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Well... do you have admin rights? If yes then I could upload a 32bit build as a test.
I'm not a developer, man. Unless you tell me the steps for doing that, then I may try.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I'm not a developer, man. Unless you tell me the steps for doing that, then I may try.
Sorry, I read that wrong, LOL

Last edited by Hyper99,

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary

Nerdtendo

Your friendly neighborhood idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do I need Python 2.7 or 3.0?

edit: Nvm. Saw the readme

Edit 2: But actually "firmtool extract: error: argument infile: can't open 'TWL.firm': [Errno 13] Permission denied: 'TWL.firm'"

Last edited by Nerdtendo,

Sono

cripple piss
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Do I need Python 2.7 or 3.0?

edit: Nvm. Saw the readme

Edit 2: But actually "firmtool extract: error: argument infile: can't open 'TWL.firm': [Errno 13] Permission denied: 'TWL.firm'"

If you read back a few posts, you can see that both the exe and the 3DS version can accept decrypted .app, extracted .firm (named exefs.bin by ctrtool), or section0.bin extracted by firmtool as long as you rename the file as section0.bin

Elwyndas

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A question about the origin of this amazing hack: Do I understand correctly that the widescreen feature for DS games was already included in the stock firmware for 2DS/3DS by Nintendo, but hidden and not used for some reason, and Sono reverse engineered the code and made it live? That's fantastic...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Don't do that he'll cry and tell you to listen to him instead