[Tutorial] Installing rxTools Custom Firmware - (3DS and 2DS)

Discussion in '3DS - Tutorials' started by samiam144, Jun 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goncalodoom

goncalodoom GBAtemp Fan

Sep 12, 2009
    portugal
    My problem was that RXtools emunand backup was a N3DS nand, so it was too big, doing a emunand backup using emunandtool fixed it and created an emunand for O3DS.

2. yoyoloto

yoyoloto Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 6, 2010
    Canada
    Canada
    Hi guys, i am trying to get mset to work but even after following all the steps it doesnt.

Specifically at step 9, clicking on Nintendo ds profile only shows the regular screen, no rxtools (even after clearing history and everything).

My O3DS sysNAND is 8.X U so I downloaded the 6.X mset bin and downgraded to 6.X. Everything ran smoothly until step 9.

Any ideas ?

PS the nands are unlinked already and emunand updated to 10.2

Last edited by yoyoloto, Oct 23, 2015
  3. michiru

michiru Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 21, 2015
    United States
    Guys i need some help im with my sysnand 4.4.1 and emunand 10.28 , now i have no idea how to inject Cia on my N3ds.So if someone link me a guide or just tell me how to XD

Thanks!

4. wormdood

wormdood pirate booty inspector

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    behind a parental advisory sticker
    4.4.1 systemnand n3ds? i think you mean o3ds right?
    to inject .cia u need a .cia manager ex fbi / bigbluemenu / devmenu

5. michiru

michiru Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 21, 2015
    United States
    Yep o3ds my bad. And im trying this
    1. Boot up your 3DS
    Open your 3DS internet Browser and launch rxtools (http://lavanoid.no-ip.org/?open)
    Hold L when the bottom screen glitches to get into the menu.

But this isnt working i see the message rxTools/sys/code.bin loading but isnt glitching to hold L. So im not sure whats wrong.

Nevermind i was trying on my Emunand lol

Last edited by michiru, Oct 23, 2015
  6. wormdood

wormdood pirate booty inspector

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    behind a parental advisory sticker
    umm so you are not following this guide i dont see that step?
    and it sounds like your firmware.bin is bad/missing
    try to follow these steps

edit: oh ok

Last edited by wormdood, Oct 23, 2015
  7. yoyoloto

yoyoloto Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 6, 2010
    Canada
    Canada
    Question for the last last step of unlinking NANDS : (question might be dumb)

"Grab the database zip again and put the title.db and import.db in YourSysnandFolder/RandomNumbersAndLettersFolder/dbs, just like you did in Step 1"

We only do this step if we didnt have the database files in the first place right ? So we can just skip it if our 3ds folder already contains them ?

EDIT : nevermind, the dbs folder is only in the emunand, my sysnand lost his dbs folder.

8. ROMKILLA

ROMKILLA Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 15, 2013
    France
    Hello everyone,

about the Themehax boot :

" Once in the homebrew menu, run the themehax 1.3 installer and install themehax.
    • (At this point, I also set a custom button setup so that it loads sysnand only when I hold R. This is Type 2 in the config menu"

How do i access the config menu to select the button/type i want?

Thanks

Last edited by ROMKILLA, Oct 23, 2015
  9. samiam144
    OP

samiam144 Régulier

Aug 19, 2007
    Canada
    Yes you can start over again, no problem.
    Does it show "Nintendo Network ID Settings" in sysnand's System settings app? If so, your MSET didn't downgrade properly, and you should try the CIA method.
    In the themehax 1.3 installer app, there are two options (IIRC):
    1. Install themehax
    2. Setup config

That's where the config menu is :)

10. yoyoloto

yoyoloto Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 6, 2010
    Canada
    Canada
    @samiam144 : Yup its exactly like you said, I dont think i can use themehax because my sysnand is 8.1, but what is the cia method ? For now I am using my cellphone as a wifi hotspot so its not a big issue I can launch rxtools whenever.

Thanks btw amazing guide its long but its very well made props to you.

11. samiam144
    OP

samiam144 Régulier

Aug 19, 2007
    Canada
    There's a way to update to 9.2, I may include it in the OP later tonight, but you can look up guides on this forum right now if you want.

The CIA method is outlined in the MSET section, in the quotes. Basically, download the 6.x CIA and install it to sysnand, destination nand.

Yes, you need double the space of a CIA to install a CIA. So if the CIA is 800mb, you need another 800mb for the CIA to unpack its contents into your "Nintendo 3DS" folder on the SD card. You can try FBI's network installation method, but it doesn't work well with files over 500mb. Of course, you can delete your cias after installing, I'd you aren't aware of that.

And no! The nand folder holds the files needed for your installation suite. If you delete it, rxtools will just do the installation suite again.

12. yoyoloto

yoyoloto Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 6, 2010
    Canada
    Canada
    o.o I actually deleted the nand file XD but I was able to run rxtools, boot into emunand and run fbi... that's why i edited my post lol

I have to check if my emunand update is still valid though, im installing a cia right now I will post the results.

EDIT : Game works fine and emunand is still at latest update, should I still worry ?. I thought it said in the tutorial that once the NAND file is created it should be moved to a safe place, so I thought I could delete the one on the rxtools folder of the SD card after...

13. Ericzander

Ericzander ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

pip Contributor
    Feb 28, 2014
    United States
    Grand Line
    I'm having a small issue with step 4b.
    I'm over the first option that days Boot Gateway NAND but holding B does absolutely nothing. It doesn't change the text, and then when I press A, while still holding B, it just brings me into the normal emuNAND with no confirmation screen or anything.

And when I said screw it and tried step 4a instead, when I do this:
    Press dpad RIGHT to go to Advanced Options -> Press A -> Install FBI -> Press A -> choose EMUNAND, then select "check TMD version".

It just shows my console region as USA. It doesn't say anything about the TMD vesion, so I don't know if I should use v1026 or v2051.

Any help would be much appreciated!

14. michiru

michiru Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 21, 2015
    United States
    Well i was unlucky just plugging my sdcard on my pc the whole thing was corrupcted, maybe i should use wi fi transfer to avoid this kind of thing? Something im having trouble to find info is if we actually have a limit of games we can add.

15. SkittleDash

SkittleDash Loading...

GBAtemp Patron
    SkittleDash is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 21, 2015
    Japan
    Planeptune
    My Zelda OOT 3D keeps freezing after 5 mins of gameplay. I'm guessing that I need to update my emuNAND or Game Update. So I'm going to update my emuNAND. Could you clarify what you mean by "Without exiting the System Settings app"

16. ROMKILLA

ROMKILLA Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 15, 2013
    France
    Hello,
    i'm probably dumb but i can't make it :

"In the themehax 1.3 installer app, there are two options (IIRC):
    1. Install themehax
    2. Setup config"

When in HombrewLauncher i can run the themehax installer but i just have the following options : a = install , b = cancel (and return to homebrewlauncher)

I don't understand how to get to setup config and it's driving me crazy.

Thanks

17. samiam144
    OP

samiam144 Régulier

Aug 19, 2007
    Canada
    the rxtools/nand folder is just some files to help rxtools load faster while patching all sorts of things (GBA and DSi firms particularly I believe), has nothing to do with your nand backup. It will just reinstall again if you delete it, so it won't save you any space
    Do you have the latest Gateway launcher? I just double-checked; you have to hold B for about a second for it to say "Boot Gateway Sysnand Mode" instead of "Boot Gateway Mode", and you have to keep holding it as you press A. If it's not working for you even with the latest launcher.dat then I'm confused, because it is definitely working for me on Gateway ULTRA 3.4.1 :/

As for the TMD version, it seems like a common bug that I'm not sure how to fix. One person that had the same issue just tried a random version and got it to work.
    You can do that. I'd recommend you do a format with everything set at default to try avoiding corruption, if you haven't already.

There was a thread about cia limits. IIRC it's about 300 icons on the homemenu? I could be way off though :P The thread is on this forum
    I'm not sure about the freezing; is it a cartridge or a cia?

Just don't press "[x] Close" after checking your emunand version; if you do, you will be sent back to sysnand.
    Are you sure you downloaded "themehax_installerSDv1.3.zip" linked in the OP? Maybe you are using the "themehax_installer" folder from a different download (older version)?

18. ROMKILLA

ROMKILLA Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 15, 2013
    France
    Thanks for the reply samiam144. I'm sure I have downloaded the 1.3 version, it's strange. I'll check this when I finish my working day.

Last edited by ROMKILLA, Oct 24, 2015
  19. kallek

kallek Member

Newcomer
    Aug 27, 2010
    United States
    Im currently on RX Tools 3.0 beta 8 and I am using mset to launch it, using sysnand 9.2. Im thinking of updating to the latest nightly. It looks like I have to update the mset settings.

Since I already downgaded mset to 6.0, is it enought to do steps?:

4. If you don't have a DS flashcard: grab the rxinstaller.bin for rxTools from the "mset" folder and put it on your sd card root.
    7. Open the 3DS browser, and enter this URL: http://dukesrg.github.io/?rxinstaller.bin
    8. Wait for a bit (it should crash and send you back to the home menu). If it doesn't crash after a minute, press HOME and it should crash.
    If the next step (9) doesn't work, try clearing your cache and history before scanning the QR code or entering the above link.

20. SkittleDash

SkittleDash Loading...

GBAtemp Patron
    SkittleDash is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 21, 2015
    Japan
    Planeptune
    I'm using my friends personal copy as he owns a gateway cartridge. So yes, a CIA. Its fresh and untampered.

So let me get this straight. I go to my System Settings in my emuNAND and just perform the Update. That's it? Once its done, I just reset my 3DS? I don't want anything to go wrong. lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.