[Tutorial] Installing rxTools Custom Firmware - (3DS and 2DS)

Discussion in '3DS - Tutorials' started by samiam144, Jun 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wormdood

wormdood pirate booty inspector

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    behind a parental advisory sticker
    hmm . . . i think your systemnand is somehow missing import.db and title.db when you made emunand and unlinked your systemnand abandoned the file folder with all the random numbers/letters, so your emunand can have it to itself. then it made a new one the new one is not set up (no title.db and import.db no importing .cias)

2. CheshireXZ

CheshireXZ Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 21, 2015
    do i copy them directly from the emunand one to sysnand?

3. samiam144
    OP

samiam144 Régulier

Aug 19, 2007
    Canada
    Do Step 1: Line 2 & 3

CheshireXZ likes this.
  4. wormdood

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    no you locate the folder with all the random numbers/letters there should be two this time in the one without import. and title.db create 2 new blank .txt files and name one import.db and the other .txt file title.db then reinsert them into your 3ds and go to settings then software data your system will fix the .db files
    short answer you gotta make new ones
    this is the way i see it these files are like the scan line/numbers on a credit card without it you cant make changes in your account without going to the bank(Nintendo)

edit: my bad i did not see he add a zip to the op you can use those instead of makeing the .txt

Last edited by wormdood, Oct 23, 2015
  5. CheshireXZ

Newcomer
    Aug 21, 2015
    i already have them on the emunand folder so do i copy them to the sysnand one? they are unlinked btw

6. samiam144
    OP

samiam144 Régulier

Aug 19, 2007
    Canada
    Don't copy! That will essentially link them again lol
    Just download the database zip and put them in the sysnand folder this time :)

Edit: I think I will try to make this more clear in the OP!

CheshireXZ likes this.
  7. CheshireXZ

Newcomer
    Aug 21, 2015
    it will not affect the emunand and will not delete anything if i did it again right?

8. samiam144
    OP

samiam144 Régulier

Aug 19, 2007
    Canada
    Yeah, just leave the emunand one alone, and copy new ones (from the database zip) to your sysnand in the same structure.

CheshireXZ and wormdood like this.
  9. CheshireXZ

Newcomer
    Aug 21, 2015
    Ok thanks alot :D
    It works now and i can play gba games on 3ds now thanks alot everyone :D

Last edited by CheshireXZ, Oct 23, 2015
    samiam144 likes this.
  10. wormdood

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    @samiam144
    lol i saw how you minimized your name and left mine at full size in the quote thanking us. your welcome and as i may have said before you have been the single most helpful person ive come across on the temp, so giving back is no big deal . . . but déjà vu lol i have a few questions i posted in the useless noob paradise a while ago and only one person responded and he did not really answer more than one lol so i know this is not the place for this but for me you have always been the temper (:rofl2:the bromance:rofl2:) so here it is
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

11. Squallb

Squallb Member

Newcomer
    Oct 22, 2015
    Hello guys, sorry again for the bother. How do I update emunand to 9.x or anything below without the use of wifi? Can I use game cartridges for this or does that update the sysnand? thank you.

12. wormdood

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    i would say 3dnus but some update fw version are removed now as i dont know witch ones i cant really recommend it(tho the worst that will happen is a incomplete download on your pc) "f*** it" you can give 3dnus a try just input the desired fw version in the slot and the religion in the version slot no spoof if the download completes its good . . . or you can download all the .cia files that would be generated by 3dnus from "that iso site"

and really human error leads to most bricks as such "you should try not to stress too much"
    and as i was trying to say before
    emunand is just software on your sd card that your 3ds can read your 3ds created it and if you destroy/loose it your 3ds can make a new one or you can use a backup you made (if you did what the guide told you you have one already)

13. samiam144
    OP

samiam144 Régulier

Aug 19, 2007
    Canada
    I didn't minimize the name, that's how the person typed it haha :P Anyways!

1a. You can use either one of the these: Savedatafiler (use 3dsdb.com to find title IDs and Serial codes), NTRCFW 3.0 + Save plugin (You hold L while launching a game to make a backup; don't have to look up title ids to use this!), or the homebrew save managers like TDVS and SVDT (these are easy to use too BUT the compatibility with some games are not perfect). But don't worry; backing up your emunand with Emunand Tool and making a backup of your SD card will save all your cias and saves! All you have to do to get them back is to restore your emunand and delete what's on your SD card and put your SD backup back on it.

1b. With the three methods I wrote above, YES! absolutely. Saves that are backed up with those three methods are decrypted automatically, so they are not tied to any 3DS, or nand.

2. You don't have to with what you're trying to do. In fact, I would leave them in.

3. Yes, the DS flashcard whitelist (I assume this is what you're talking about) will be in your new emunand as well, since emunand is a 1:1 copy of emunand.

4a. If you just create a new emunand flat out, then the cias on your old emunand will still be on your SD card (in it's ID folder) but will not be seen or usable.
    Edit: actually, making a new emunand would format your whole card. But still, putting back an SD backup without restoring your old emunand will still not allow your old cias to be seen on the new emunand.

4b. If you are satisfied with your card then getting a new card won't fix any issues for you. You can temporarily use a different SD card with a new emunand to test what you're trying to do, if you want to avoid messing with your current stuff.
    I'm not sure about cartridges, although IIRC it works in Gateway mode. I think you should ask about this in the rxTools thread (link in my signature), there are more knowledgeable people there!

Last edited by samiam144, Oct 23, 2015
    wormdood likes this.
  14. wormdood

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    :ha:well thats silly then its your guide/thread & most of my 3ds related knowledge came from you :mthr: . . . but i guess he would not know about that last part:ninja: lol anyway thanks
    1a&b . wow you hit me with a lot i should do a bit of reading on these (but i think ive already decided on ntr as i already have it i just gotta find plugins (unless its a default one) but i have no luck with google and never even attempt a gbatemp search anymore as it never help me like "3ds noob paradise" anyway i had no idea how thank you
    2 . but i thought they only installed tickets the second time if i left them bee wouldn't they end up on the sd card 2x . . . oh well even if they do they are small
    3. but will the flashcard work (it currently works in systemnand) as ive scene posting this installed it to emunand but the flashcard currently wont work from there . . . i guess i will find out
    4a. that's what i thought i still needed to know "thanks"
    4b. that's now an official part of the planB-)

that's what im talking about answers that's why i give back here:moogle:

15. michiru

michiru Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 21, 2015
    United States
    ok guys i managed to instal cfw worked and even updated but then idk why my ds corrupcted all my sd files(and i didnt have any other way beside format). Can i just do everything from 0? i mean i have a backup from nand but if i want to theres no problem making everything again right?

16. wormdood

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    you can start over if you want
    if you have a emunand backup then after you create a new one you can use emunand tool to inject your old backup allowing you to skip steps you have done in emenand before you made the backup

17. goncalodoom

goncalodoom GBAtemp Fan

Sep 12, 2009
    portugal
    Can anyone help me with removing these weird blank channels in the Home menu?

18. wormdood

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    they are often the result of installing a .cia to nand destination when it is that was meant for sd destination or vice versa ex; i wanted use gba .cia the guide says to install them to systemnand sd so i started systemnand started fbi got intimidated by fbi (i have the heart of a noob) looked at the op again saw the word systemnand stupidly changed the install destination to nand when the guide says to systemnand sd. so when i did not end up with gba games on my system i came back here and was explained to how to install them properly did it and later noticed the boxes
    after some digging i found the solutions to be
    if boxes are on emunand
    1. you can inject your old emunand backup from before you noticed the problem using emunand tool (found in op)
    1a. or create a entirely new one from scratch
    1b. or there was another method but i forgot the website with all the 3ds unique title id's but you use that site to compare your system firmware to what it should be and simply delete the ones that don't belong

if the boxes are in systemnand you will need to
    2. see 1b. note: this is more dangerous because if you delete the wrong thing in systemnand you can brick your 3ds use extreme caution
    2a. have a hardmod? if so you can use it to restore old systemnand backup
    2c. i think there is one more way to restore an old systemnand backup but i don't know it (hopefully samiam144 can fill in my blanks or think of another way . . .?)

other than these things above you can always ignore them stick them all in a folder like everyone does with stock apps
    edit: this is why its important to make a backup before trying new things with nand
    so if you do try to edit out the boxes yourself (personally it sounds risky to me) make a backup first in case you mess up even more

samiam144 likes this.
  19. goncalodoom

goncalodoom GBAtemp Fan

Sep 12, 2009
    portugal
    "you can inject your old emunand backup from before you noticed the problem using emunand tool (found in op)"

This fixed my problem, i had an old emunand that was working fine and didn't have those weird blank titles, so i injected it to a new sd card :D, thank you for the help!

Last edited by goncalodoom, Oct 23, 2015
    samiam144 and wormdood like this.
  20. wormdood

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    edit: oh ok:lol:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.