[Tutorial] Updating from rxTools to Luma3DS

Discussion in '3DS - Tutorials' started by MattKimura, May 23, 2016.

May 23, 2016
  1. MattKimura
    OP

Member MattKimura 3DS & WiiU Enthusiast

United States
    I've seen multiple users ask how they could update both their EmuNAND and CFW, as they're still using rxTools and haven't touched their 3DS in months. I decided to write a quick guide on how to upgrade for those who are outdated. This is for those who refuse to install Arm9loaderhax and want to remain on Menuhax + EmuNAND or MSET + EmuNAND

EDIT: If anyone wants help installing Arm9loaderhax, I'll personally walk you through it one on one. Message me if interested!

Downloads

Steps for Menuhax users:

1. Put your 3DS SD card into your computer
    2. Open the Luma3DS zip file you downloaded above
    3. Extract the arm9loaderhax.bin file to the root of the SD
    4. In the Luma3DS zip, go into the "menuhax" folder and drag and drop the boot.3dsx file to the root of your SD, replacing any that exists.

NOTE: If you were using something like lesshax (A menuhax payload), menuhax would look for a file called less.3dsx on the root rather than boot.3dsx. You'll either need to rename luma's .3dsx file to less.3dsx, or download another 9.2 ropbin payload from HERE
    so that menuhax will look for boot.3dsx by default.
    This is a fix for those who still have rxTools booting up after placing luma's boot.3dsx file on the root.

Now when you turn on your 3DS, it will automatically boot straight into Luma3DS, considering you have menuhax installed already.

Steps for MSET users:

1. 1. Put your 3DS SD card into your computer
    2. Open the Luma3DS zip file you downloaded above
    3. Extract the arm9loaderhax.bin file to the root of the SD
    4. In the Luma3DS zip, go into the "MSET" folder and drag and drop the Luma3DS.dat file to the root of your SD, replacing any that exists.
    5. Rename Luma3ds.dat file to launcher.dat
    6. Delete the rxTools folder

Now when you open System Settings > Other Settings > Profile > Nintendo DS Profile it will boot into Luma3DS CFW

For those who don't have menuhax installed:

NOTE: You must be on 9.0 / 9.2 to install menuhax

1. Download Menuhax Manager HERE
    2. Temporarily replace the boot.3dsx file with homebrew launcher's boot.3dsx , placing it on the root of the SD
    3. Turn on the 3DS and change the theme to any color, even if you have a theme set already.
    4. Launch browserhax by holding L+R while on the home menu to bring up the camera, touch the checkerboard icon to bring up QR, then scan this QR CODE HERE
    The browser will load up and so will the exploit
    5. Once on Homebrew Launcher, choose menuhax manager
    6. Press A on "install" and let it do it's thing. It's normal for it to show errors in the log.
    7. Once it's done, return to the menuhax manager main menu, select "Configure menuhax"
    8. Choose type 1, then touch the touch screen once. This allows menuhax to automatically boot the boot.3dsx file with no buttons held as soon as you turn the 3DS on.
    9. Turn off the 3DS, and put the boot.3dsx from the luma3DS.zip's menuhax folder back on your SD card's root and replace. Now when you turn your 3DS on, it will automatically boot into Luma3DS CFW on emuNAND.

Final tips

- When you first launch Luma3DS, you'll be greeted with a configuration menu which is one time only. Only option you should select is "Show NAND or user string in system settings", then press start to reboot.

- You can update your EmuNAND to 11.1.0. Go to system settings, look on top to see if it says "Emu x.x.x", then go to other settings and do a system update. This updates EmuNAND to 11.1.0, while keeping sysNAND on 9.2 (The exploitable firmware, the reason you're able to use CFW in the first place)

- You can use out of region DLC with Luma3DS, using it's "Language Emulation Plugin" feature. Learn how to use it HERE

Last edited by MattKimura, Nov 3, 2016

2. Darkyose

Member Darkyose Liza's Hacker

Puerto Rico
    Thx! This is awsome! Will try this when my 3ds is back...

3. The Immortal

Newcomer The Immortal Newbie

United States
    Question, rxTools has the option to boot into rxMode on sysNAND, which allows you to install CIAs on sysNAND. Does Luma3DS have this option?

4. Igan

Newcomer Igan Newbie

Chile
    Is there a way to update from a very very old version of rxTools?
    I have a small 3DS with firmware 4.2 and one of the first rxTools (from about one year ago). I guess if I replace the .dat and then launch the old browser exploit would launch Luma, right?

5. cobleman

Member cobleman GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    Do I just upgrade 3ds with standard upgrade. My 3DS Boots into CFW on start up.

6. SWS90

Member SWS90 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Thanks for this.
    But, I've got some questions. Sorry if they seem noobish, I just want to have as much information as I can before doing this.
    What are the benefits of Luma over rxTools?
    Will I have to use A9LH (I doubt it, but I want to be sure, because everywhere I look I see Luma and A9LH go together somehow)
    Will l have to re-setup my NNID, and have to install my apps and games again? And what about my saves? Or will everything stay the same as I have it in rxTools?

kaylejoy likes this.
  7. astronautlevel

Member astronautlevel The Animaniac

United States
    Your color choices make dark theme users cry.

Other than that, nice work! It's cool to see my updater in there :D

gnmmarechal, MattKimura and Hoppy like this.
  8. ericling

Member ericling GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Malaysia
    Thanks for the tutorial!

What's the use of pathchanger?

9. astronautlevel

United States
    If you use a9lh and your arm9loaderhax.bin isn't on the root of your SD card you need to use it.

Otherwise the Luma3DS.dat should *always* be on the SD card root so it doesn't matter to menuhax users

10. ericling

Member ericling GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Malaysia
    Cool! I am using Menuhax and should I be deleting any of the Rxtools files?

11. astronautlevel

United States
    They won't *hurt* anything, but it would probably be best to get rid of them unless you plan on using rxTools again.

12. samiam144

Member samiam144 Régulier

Canada
    Yes, you can see all the features right here!
    If I recall correctly, Luma only works from 7.x and above, so you would need to update your Sysnand first, preferably to 9.2.

Igan likes this.
  13. Igan

Newcomer Igan Newbie

Chile
    Then another question, how to update the old sysnand to 9.2? The sysupdate.cia on the emunand would update the sysnand?
    Thanks in advance

14. samiam144

Member samiam144 Régulier

Canada
    This would be the proper way: https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/9.2.0-Update
    You must do it in SysNAND.

Igan likes this.
  15. astronautlevel

United States
    Follow Plailect's guide to update to 9.2: https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/9.2.0-Update

Edit: :ninja:

samiam144 and Igan like this.
  16. Igan

Newcomer Igan Newbie

Chile
    astronautlevel and samiam144 like this.
  17. FromageSword

Newcomer FromageSword Member

Canada
    Sup guys, kinda off topic but related.

I have this 3ds on 1.0 and I understand that updating with a cartridge doesn't add the internet browser needed to perform part of the guide, what can I do to set up the Internet Browser without updating all the way to 11.0?

18. SpaghettiLettuce

Newcomer SpaghettiLettuce Newbie

United States
    Was a tutorial really needed for this? I dunno, I just think that switching to other CFWs isn't that hard to do.

19. MattKimura
    OP

Member MattKimura 3DS & WiiU Enthusiast

United States
    Hello fellow Redditor

Not when said user hasn't used their 3DS in so long that they don't even know how they're currently setup and how to switch CFW. I found myself having to explain how to switch CFW, but what pains me is that I don't know how they're currently setup with menuhax, or if they even understand how menuhax works. This guide explains the different ways of booting the CFW with menuhax (Sorta). Can't just simply tell them to place the arm9loaderhax.bin file on the root. Menuhax users have more than one way of booting into CFW so it's harder to explain.

20. TechyTurtle

Member TechyTurtle GBAtemp Regular

United States
    dumb question but do I have to reinstall my 3ds games after switching cfw