Status
Not open for further replies.

Xenon Hacks

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello GBATEMP Xenon here with another quick tutorial. This time I will be showing you how to update your Emunand on a New 3DS. I feel this tutorial is needed since there are countless posts and complaints of bricks. At the time of writing this tutorial the highest supported Emunand for rxTools is 9.5.0-23 as of 7/27/2015 other CFW's such as reiNand ,cakes, and Gateway support 10.5.0-30 . This post will be updated if this changes at any point in the future so lets get started!

Requirements -
A New 3DS
An Emunand partition
A way to boot into Emunand
Access to a CIA installer such as FBI/DevMenu/BigBlueMenu
Emunand Tool
A 9.5.0-23 CIA pack for your region
SysUpdater (Always use the latest Release)

1) Plug your MicroSD card into your PC using an adapter and open Emunand Tool then select Extract Emunand and save emuNAND.bin to your desktop this will be a backup incase the update fails and your Emunand bricks.
yprwzMc.png

2) Download a 9.5.0-23 Emunand Pack for your region 3DS (For example U/E/J) I can't link it directly but you can click this link and you should be able to find it easily the update packs are as follows.

9.5.0-23U(Full)_n3DS.zip
9.5.0-23E(Full)_n3DS.zip
9.5.0-23J(Full)_n3DS.zip

3) Plug your MicroSD card into your PC and drag the folder called updates and confirm all 105 CIA's from the 9.5.0-23 are there.
xuh8tgV.png
6elpTTo.png

4) Now extract sysUpdater.CIA and place it anywhere on your MicroSD card where you keep your CIA's I like to keep a folder called CIA on the root of my card and put all of my installable CIA's into it.
r6g63Ik.png

5) Safely eject your MicroSD card by left clicking on the drive it is plugged into on your PC, insert your MicroSD card back in and boot your New 3DS and enter your Emunand either by using a CFW that supports the New 3DS or enter Emunand Using your Gateway Red Card. CONFIRM YOUR IN EMUNAND! DO NOT GO TO SYSTEM SETTINGS THEN EXIT THIS WILL KICK YOU BACK TO SYSNAND!

6) Install sysUpdater.cia to your Emunand using your favorite CIA manger then run it. You should see this screen.
8o9tzB0.jpg
Then press the A button once and watch the Magic
EDGVUQk.jpg
7) You did it! Once your console reboots and fixes home management your New 3DS's Emunand should be at 9.5.0-23
v4FgMWk.jpg

Credits go to @n1ghty for Emunand Tool, @ground for 3DNUS, @Steveice10 for FBI, and profi200 for SysUpdater thank you all for these amazing apps

Side Notes -

It would appear some users are having trouble extracting files from archives on windows natively, if you run into these issues install 1 of these 4 programs to extract the files you need WinRAR x86 (32 bit) / WinRAR x64 (64 bit) / 7-Zip 32-bit x86 / 7-Zip 64-bit x64

If your Emunand stays black it means you bricked it but don't worry I had you back it up in step 1 so simply plug the MicroSD card back into the PC run Emunand Tool and Inject the Emunand.bin you created.

If you are one of the hundreds of people who downgraded from 10.3 and setup Emunand you may have what I call a frankefirmware where some titles are incorrect/missing so updating may or may not work.

I am Not Responsible If you Brick your Sysnand!

Do you have a Gateway card or rxTools and want to get on the eShop? give this a try http://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-how-to-access-nnid-and-eshop-on-9-5-0-23-emunand.407714/

Last edited by Xenon Hacks,

Chrisssj2

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Whats the password for the 9.5 firmware? i tried gba temp and pastabin with and without http etc.. not work.

ALso if I try extract sysupdate i get unknown method error upon extracting any files from the archive...

Last edited by Chrisssj2,

Xenon Hacks

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whats the password for the 9.5 firmware? i tried gba temp and pastabin with and without http etc.. not work.

ALso if I try extract sysupdate i get unknown method error upon extracting any files from the archive...
Make sure you're using winrar to extract files and the password is gbatemp.

Jao Chu

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Thank you for this. I've been meaning to go through with this for a while now, but yifan_lu's 8.1 to 9.2 tutorial scared the hell out of me with setting up web servers and the like. There just had to be an easier way!

Reactions: Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks that worked. However one problem remains:
If I try extract sysupdate i get unknown method error upon extracting any files from the archive...
Your downloading sysUpdater_0_4_1.zip right? and right clicking it and selecting extract to sysUpdater_0_4_1\?

Chrisssj2

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yes, if I try to extract it says unknown method, no files to extract with WinRAR..
Same for older versions..
I do see the files however and it's 500-600kb.

Xenon Hacks

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Install this winrar if you have a 32bit PC
and this one if you have a 64 bit PC

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

If winrar is not working for you try using 7zip

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Yes, if I try to extract it says unknown method, no files to extract with WinRAR..
Same for older versions..
I do see the files however and it's 500-600kb.
Edited the main tut to reflect your problem for others in the future.

Reactions: Chrisssj2

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I sincerely don't know what I'm doing wrong, I've tried your method multiple times, both with the .cia files you provide and the .cia files that a certain iso site provides, and none of them work. I get to the point where the emunand says its setting up the Home Menu, and then after that progress bar fills, its just black, every time. What the hell am I doing wrong? I'm at such a loss here.

peteruk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I sincerely don't know what I'm doing wrong, I've tried your method multiple times, both with the .cia files you provide and the .cia files that a certain iso site provides, and none of them work. I get to the point where the emunand says its setting up the Home Menu, and then after that progress bar fills, its just black, every time. What the hell am I doing wrong? I'm at such a loss here.

which installer are you using for the .cia files ?

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
which installer are you using for the .cia files ?

The SysUpdater installer as recommended in the intro post. I had tried it with The Any Title Installer before that but it would give me an error on the first .cia that it was invalid

skfields01

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was able to do this last night exactly like the above directions state, along with the help by Simplicity and Xenon Hacks, and it worked perfectly. No hiccups at all. My emuNAND is now on 9.5.

This leaves me with a few questions though...

1. Doesn't the Gateway do firmware spoofing? I tried Puzzle & Dragons normally on my 9.0 system and it asks to update to 9.5. then i tried through Gateway (emuNAND 9.0) and it loaded perfectly. So do we really need to update?

2. If I no longer want cia files on my N3DS, how do I delete them? Is there something special I need to do or can I just delete them like a normal demo?

Xenon Hacks

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was able to do this last night exactly like the above directions state, along with the help by Simplicity and Xenon Hacks, and it worked perfectly. No hiccups at all. My emuNAND is now on 9.5.

This leaves me with a few questions though...

1. Doesn't the Gateway do firmware spoofing? I tried Puzzle & Dragons normally on my 9.0 system and it asks to update to 9.5. then i tried through Gateway (emuNAND 9.0) and it loaded perfectly. So do we really need to update?

2. If I no longer want cia files on my N3DS, how do I delete them? Is there something special I need to do or can I just delete them like a normal demo?
The CIA update files can be deleted from your sd card after your done they are no longer needed, if your talking about games,demos,apps just go to system setting while in Emunand go to data management and uninstall what you no longer want.

skfields01

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I don't have to delete cia files through BigBlueMenu or the like. I can delete something like sysUpdater through the normal system way but while in emuNAND.

Sound right.

skfields01

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nah, just talking exploit/hacker stuff. Like BigBlueMenu and sysUpdater. Seems that every time that I go back into emuNAND that they return to gifts and I have to open them up. Annoying and thought that I might as well just dump them.

Xenon Hacks

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nah, just talking exploit/hacker stuff. Like BigBlueMenu and sysUpdater. Seems that every time that I go back into emuNAND that they return to gifts and I have to open them up. Annoying and thought that I might as well just dump them.
That means your Nands are still linked use the search function, unlinking them is fairly simple.

skfields01

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Saw this earlier...

To separate emunand from sysnand, boot into sysnand, go to settings and on the last page (with the format option). Once you're there, remove the SD Card from the 3DS then format the 3DS (it'll require an internet connection but won't update, don't worry). Once it's formatted, the 3DS will reboot. Once it's rebooted and the 3DS is on again, put the SD Card back in the 3DS, then do the first setup again. Once the setup is done, it'll create a new folder (different from emunand).

After that, it's done, your sysnand and emunand are separated and configuration on one (theme, settings, programs) won't affect the other one, and you won't have to unwrap your gift each time you boot.

Look right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: They're made with left over pancake/wafle batter, that's been sitting out all day.