Status
Not open for further replies.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It needs to be on

Well I just hit A on the Dev Mode option in the RX Tools menu and the bottom screen just became a series of stripes and now I can't do anything, pretty weird, I don't know if you have any idea what that's about, but I think I might have turned it on now? I'm truly not sure, but I'll give updating the EmuNAND another shot, after I restart my 3DS.

BringusStudios

Trophies
Website
bringus.studio
XP
Country
United States
Well I just hit A on the Dev Mode option in the RX Tools menu and the bottom screen just became a series of stripes and now I can't do anything, pretty weird, I don't know if you have any idea what that's about, but I think I might have turned it on now? I'm truly not sure, but I'll give updating the EmuNAND another shot, after I restart my 3DS.
Try devmode again, crashing is semi-frequent. Also if you have themehax installed, make sure it isn't booting into homebrew.

EDIT: Hold on, what are you doing with devmode if you want to update emunand?

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You don't need to mess around with devmode if you just want to update your emunand. Just install sysupdater in your emunand and get the update files from that iso site.

Yeah, I've tried that, many times, and yes I'm using sysupdater (emunand is 9.0 trying to updated to 9.5 on a n3DS XL), but I keep getting the same issue as the OP here. The new files install, when I start the emuNAND up again it says preparing the home menu, but then after that message disappears, both the top and bottom screen remain black. And I've tried this many ways, with the cia files from the iso site, a different set of the .cia files from a member here and pastebin site they posted (though oddly his set was missing one .cia file from the iso site, not sure which one), but the end result is always the same. Its incredibly strange.

BringusStudios

Trophies
Website
bringus.studio
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I've tried that, many times, and yes I'm using sysupdater (emunand is 9.0 trying to updated to 9.5 on a n3DS XL), but I keep getting the same issue as the OP here. The new files install, when I start the emuNAND up again it says preparing the home menu, but then after that message disappears, both the top and bottom screen remain black. And I've tried this many ways, with the cia files from the iso site, a different set of the .cia files from a member here and pastebin site they posted (though oddly his set was missing one .cia file from the iso site, not sure which one), but the end result is always the same. Its incredibly strange.
Oh... that is strange :blink:

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Back up your emunand partition, rebuild, and try again. Make sure you do have the correct cia for the region of the n3ds.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Back up your emunand partition, rebuild, and try again. Make sure you do have the correct cia for the region of the n3ds.

Yeah I've had a backup of my emunand partition for quite a while, and I've reverted to it many times. Truth be told i've probably tried to do this about 20 times now if not more, over the course of 2 weeks or so but to no avail.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I truly do not know what could be causing this to not fully correctly work, I haven't messed a single thing up in the tutorial, perhaps some N3DS just can't do this, or maybe I need to do it with a GW cart? I dunno, but Cakes couldn't do it, and RXTools sadly can't either. And reading up on that iso site, I'm informed that devmode is only needed if I want to update the sysnand which I definitely do not want to do, I think OP either misunderstood me or perhaps had some malicious intent there, pretty messed up if that were the case. Regardless, if anyone else is having my issue do not use devmode to try and update the emunand.

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I've had a backup of my emunand partition for quite a while, and I've reverted to it many times. Truth be told i've probably tried to do this about 20 times now if not more, over the course of 2 weeks or so but to no avail.

No, rebuild the emunand FROM SCRATCH, not restore from a backup. There's a difference.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, rebuild the emunand FROM SCRATCH, not restore from a backup. There's a difference.

Probaby the best advice I've received yet, i have a lot of games and data though, so it'll take awhile to rebuilt my emunand, and since its the daytime, I'll just set it up to do that tonight or tomorrow night, I'll report back later if my results ever change in any way.

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Probaby the best advice I've received yet, i have a lot of games and data though, so it'll take awhile to rebuilt my emunand, and since its the daytime, I'll just set it up to do that tonight or tomorrow night, I'll report back later if my results ever change in any way.

it doesn't matter at this point because there seems to be something preventing you from updating to 9.5. There were plenty of good suggestions, its just doing the rebuild is the last resort. So far nothing that the OP or another member has suggested work. Rebuild the emunand, backup that copy (since it will be a 9.0 w/o any games or apps installed), and try the instructions to update again. If all goes well and you are now on 9.5, back that up as well. Ensure you have every backup labelled properly or else you'll be confusing yourself.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it doesn't matter at this point because there seems to be something preventing you from updating to 9.5. There were plenty of good suggestions, its just doing the rebuild is the last resort. So far nothing that the OP or another member has suggested work. Rebuild the emunand, backup that copy (since it will be a 9.0 w/o any games or apps installed), and try the instructions to update again. If all goes well and you are now on 9.5, back that up as well. Ensure you have every backup labelled properly or else you'll be confusing yourself.

Right, I understand that, I'm just saying for the issue I'm having, rebuilding the EmuNAND is the first piece of advice I've received where I'm thinking, hey, maybe that is what I need to do, all the other advice for the most part was like, well I'll try it, but I don't see how that is going to make a difference at this point. If that makes any sense.

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nobody know's the outcome when it comes to issues that don't usually exist, no one else has had this issue. I could recommend you go find the update elsewhere but what if its a bad cia, or could totally brick your console. i've been on all of those "iso" sites and no ones complained about bad files from certain members so for sure its a proper file when you download it from them.

Another thing is to ensure you are definitely loading up emunand, and not loading your sysnand.

Xenon Hacks

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nobody know's the outcome when it comes to issues that don't usually exist, no one else has had this issue. I could recommend you go find the update elsewhere but what if its a bad cia, or could totally brick your console. i've been on all of those "iso" sites and no ones complained about bad files from certain members so for sure its a proper file when you download it from them.

Another thing is to ensure you are definitely loading up emunand, and not loading your sysnand.
I just got back from the mall I was going to suggest he start from scratch, also the CIA's I linked were added to the main ISO thread so there's no difference.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Yes, of course I've been loading up the emunand and not the sysnand, if I was loading up the sysnand, I would have bricked my sysnand many times by now or at the very least made myself unable to install .cias. Like I've said I've been trying this many times for a few weeks now, I can assure you I'm not making such amateur mistakes as loading with sysnand instead of emunand.

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, of course I've been loading up the emunand and not the sysnand, if I was loading up the sysnand, I would have bricked my sysnand many times by now or at the very least made myself unable to install .cias. Like I've said I've been trying this many times for a few weeks now, I can assure you I'm not making such amateur mistakes as loading with sysnand instead of emunand.

I don't that, I'm just making sure. There are those who tend to deviate from guides, thats why I always ask.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Forgot to update. I reformated my emuNAND, unlinked the sysNAND and emuNAND, reinstalled the 9.5 N3DS U update via sysUpdater, but sadly got the same result. No matter how hard I try, the emuNAND says its setting up the home menu, but then after that message disappears, nothing loads. Sadly I think this is just a procedure that for whatever reason might not work on very specific 3DS systems. At the end of the day, it's really not a big deal. The only feature of later firmware that I'm looking for is amiibo support, but I'm OK without that, as only 2 games i play on the 3DS, one being Smash where I can just create my amiibo fighters on my Wii U instead, and the other being Chibi Robo, only because I'm playing it now, but I suspect I wont care about it soon, and I really don't care much about the support that game offers. I have no interest in the happy home designer game where the bulk of 3DS amiibo functionality seems to rest in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: because I already got burned out with breath of the wild, which for the most part is essentially...