Gaming Transfering save games to SD card

Warrior1986

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I wasn't sure whether to put this in the hacking forum or not but I guess I will try here.

Here's why I'm posting. I'm getting a new Wii. Thus naturally, I wanted to backup all my save games on the old one so I can transfer them to the new one. Imagine my shock and anger (at Nintendo) when I discovered that at least half my saved games I can't transfer. I would click on them and both the move and copy buttons were grayed out. I did a little research on this problem and it turns out that a lot of games suffer from this. There is no way I'm losing all of these save games.

Basically, I want to copy everything that's stored on the Wii right now so when I start up the new one I can just transfer everything over. I've read that it's possible to do, but you need a few different programs? Here's what I have to work with.

Wii - current firmware in top right corner says 4.2U (haven't updated in a long time)
SD card - 2GB non-SDHC
Multiple USB flash drives
Laptop with SD card reader and USB ports

I'm aware of what I have to do after I use the program (or whatever it is) to unlock the save files and transfer. I would first start whichever game, let it create a save file, quit the game, then delete the save file and move the save game file from the SD card over to the Wii's internal memory. The wrong way to do it is to first transfer the file and the start the game for the first time, because then it will delete it. Do I have this correct?

Thanks for the help in advance.

dinofan01

Misses the old days...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
well if this new wii is 4.2 i believe there is a way to hack it (havent hacked a virgin wii since FW 2.00). In which case search for save manager gx. This will backup all your saves and be able to transfer them.

Warrior1986

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Err, I'm not sure what version the new one will be. The one I currently have is white and I got it about 6 months after the Wii was first released. I'm getting the new black one which from what I've read should have this same 4.2U on it?

dysan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Greece
can't saves from the wii's memory be trasnfered to a gamecube memory card?

ok I'll go away now,bye!
smile.gif

Warrior1986

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Riley said:
4.3 just recently came out and wont be on new wiis for a while so your fine. Just use Save Game Manager GX and back them all up.

Then when you get your new wii softmod with this guide, then run the manager on your new wii and restore.

I downloaded the 3 files listed on the Save Game manager page, but what do I do with them? There's no readme or anything I can see.

I probably should have stated in the beginning that I have ZERO experience and don't know anything about hacking or modding the Wii console.

Parablank

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Here's a little tutorial:

Get BannerBomb, google search it.
Get the boot.dol file from GameSave GX.
Rename it to boot.elf.
Put both files (private, and boot.elf) into the root of your SD card.
Boot up the Wii and go to the VC/WW SD section.

The rest is pretty much self explanatory.

Warrior1986

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Parablank said:
Here's a little tutorial:

Get BannerBomb, google search it.
Get the boot.dol file from GameSave GX.
Rename it to boot.elf.
Put both files (private, and boot.elf) into the root of your SD card.
Boot up the Wii and go to the VC/WW SD section.

The rest is pretty much self explanatory.

Thanks for your help. My new Wii just arrived today, so I'll be performing those steps you listed either tonight or tomorrow. Will this "Save Manager GX" also save any Miis or is there a separate procedure for that?

I'll report back once I've at least gotten so far as to get the save games onto the SD card. Will also find out what version of the Menu is on the new Wii.

Warrior1986

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Downloaded Bannerbomb, unzipped the private folder onto the SD card. Then downloaded the R073.dol file and renamed it to boot.elf and moved that onto the SD card. Then I put the SD card into the Wii, pressed the SD card icon, and when it asked to "Load boot.dol/elf?" I hit yes. Screen went black then came back and it says "Error: Unable to create Wii Saves list."

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: DAYTONAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!