Hacking [Tool] Joy-Con Toolkit

D

Deleted User

Then you are left with the most sexy named joy-cons on earth!

Jokes aside, that's why I had all these reminders. And the "do you want to overwrite backup warning".
You should have moved the backups in another folder and maybe change filename also.

Unfortunately they are not recoverable. Check the box if you can find anything but I don't think so..

The thing is that just today, I implemented internally, a savior mechanism for these reasons, which when you change the SN, it makes a backup inside your controller's SPI unused space.

In your position, I would use a program like GetDataBack to search the whole drive (with default and then with sustained system failure settings) and try to find the deleted backup or a version of it at least and then view it inside the program to get the SN.

What are your joy-con original colors?

EDIT:
I just checked if there's a correlation to MAC address or shipment number info inside the SPI, but I can't find anything. If there is, then it's not obvious..
So stick to a tool like getdataback.

lol. My Joy-Cons are Neon Blue and Neon Red. I dunno why they deleted, I even put them in a folder
but my Custom S/N backups are backed up better and even zipped for extra protection.
lol my joy cons are sexy ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Reactions: CTCaer

CTCaer

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
My Joy-Cons are Neon Blue and Neon Red.
The S/N start with XB for left and XC for right.
E.g. XBJ40000000000.

The next 3 characters are a letter (J or W) and 14 or 40 or 10. Probably the number is factory that were made of code?
The letter is Region? Japan? West? Dunno actually.

My day one Switch came with a blue left with J40 and a Red right with W14.
My grey ones are both W14.
A user's (he has one of the latest batches) blue left here was W40
Switchbrew dumps are both W10.

Last edited by CTCaer,
Reactions: Deleted User

Naked_Snake

Constant Miscreant
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Then you are left with the most sexy named joy-cons on earth!

Jokes aside, that's why I had all these reminders. And the "do you want to overwrite backup warning".
You should have moved the backups in another folder and maybe change filename also.

Unfortunately they are not recoverable. Check the box if you can find anything but I don't think so..

The thing is that just today, I implemented internally, a savior mechanism for these reasons, which when you change the SN, it makes a backup inside your controller's SPI unused space.

In your position, I would use a program like GetDataBack to search the whole drive (with default and then with sustained system failure settings) and try to find the deleted backup or a version of it at least and then view it inside the program to get the SN.

What are your joy-con original colors?

EDIT:
I just checked if there's a correlation to MAC address or shipment number info inside the SPI, but I can't find anything. If there is, then it's not obvious..
So stick to a tool like getdataback.
They should be on the plastic slivers the joy cons come in like the console ones had their serial numbers on that plastic they were wrapped in

D

Deleted User

The S/N start with XB for left and XC for right.
E.g. XBJ40000000000.

The next 3 characters are a letter (J or W) and 14 or 40 or 10. Probably the number is factory that were made of code?
The letter is Region? Japan? West? Dunno actually.

My day one Switch came with a blue left with J40 and a Red right with W14.
My grey ones are both W14.
A user's (he has one of the latest batches) blue left here was W40
Switchbrew dumps are both W10.
I don't remember entire serial number but I think joy cons are like yours,

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

They should be on the plastic slivers the joy cons come in like the console ones had their serial numbers on that plastic they were wrapped in
OMG thank you, I still have those.

Reactions: Naked_Snake

supercarotte

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi, thanks for the tool I have been wanting to give it a try for a while but couldn't until now. I only tried changing to preset colors yet, but when I get my spare Joycons and am done painting them you'll be my life saviour ! :wub:

Just for fun, I also tried that LED thing. It's pretty nice and I can't think of a reason why Nintendo didn't make use of it yet, but maybe you should give instructions to disable it since you told us how to enable it ?
EDIT: don't worry about understanding the arg (unlike what I did), just reconnect your Joycon and the LED will stop.
Also, for some reason I can't connect my Left Joycon but that's probably because of my BT chip.

PS: Easter egg is awesome, I'd never have thought that function was this powerful !

Last edited by supercarotte,

CTCaer

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
He he. :)

Well, I don't know why the don't use it also.
I could give you a command to disable it. But why? Just turn the controller off.
Actually the tool is meant to be used that way. You done modding/testing? Turn it off and pair it to Switch.

About the pairing. Because of doing many tests and reverse engineering to the controllers I many times have problems with the pairing/drivers installing.
Well, bloody windows.

First of all, disabling the check Windows Update for drivers speeds up the pairing A LOT!
Secondly, when it refuses to add the device, because it exists and you can't delete it, I found out that you need to press remove device once and wait 10 minutes!?! for the removal process to finish.
Otherwise you have to uninstall the "Bluetooth HID Device" associated with the joy-con from device manager. And the only way to find the correct one, is by selecting the "Joy-Con (L)" bluetooth device and then View->Devices by connection. You uninstall the "Bluetooth HID Device" and then the "Joy-Con (L)".
You go to settings and wait for it to finally disappear. Then try to pair it again.

Reactions: Ep8Script

Ep8Script

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
So how do you read the frequencies from a music (or something) file? MIDI seems to be the way to go but there's no converter to the notes. It'd be cool if it was possible one day to convert MIDI to the HD Rumble files.

cualquiercosa327

Trophies
XP
Country
So how do you read the frequencies from a music (or something) file? MIDI seems to be the way to go but there's no converter to the notes. It'd be cool if it was possible one day to convert MIDI to the HD Rumble files.

Hello,when the format be perfectly understand ,it would no be dificult create a converter.

As example you can see a midi-steamcontroller here :
https://steamcommunity.com/app/353370/discussions/0/494632506573267894/
The SteamController has also a linear resonant actuator as the joycons.

On Switch Sdk they are a wav to bnvib.

Ep8Script

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Wait... ohhhhhh, so this is the format used by the official SDK and the same way developers use the HD Rumble? That's so awesome.

CTCaer

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
.bnvib is the official format and keeps the vibration into 4 uint8.
.jcvib is my coined format and it's raw. 4 uint8 that the controller can understand right away.

Basically you can easily write a program to convert a wav or midi to bnvib and jcvib.

For both you need a look up table.
Then parse let's say the midi, and you keep the loudest notes. You need to make a modulation algorithm that takes the bass notes and arrange them to LF band and takes the mid-high and modulates them into the HF supported.

After that you take the resulted frequency and use the look up table to convert it to bnvib or jcvib unsigned integer.

For amplitudes it's easier. Define max/low and use the look up table to convert them.
General practice is that you never make the resonant frequencies more loud than 0.5. Otherwise, you gonna hear a lot of unwanted noise from the loud vibration.

TLDR: You need to modulate the freqs and amps for respected band and throw out what you don't want and then use look up tables to encode them into unsigned integers for bnvib or raw unsigned integer commands

CTCaer

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I checked the SteamControllerSinger and it's similar on what to do.
The only difference is what raw commands each controller understand and the frequency bandwidth of these.

Joy-con bandwidth is small:
Low freq band:
40.875 - 626.286Hz
High freq band:
81.751 - 1252.572Hz

So that's why you need to transport the notes to lower octaves until you are inside the range and then separate bass-mid and mid-high notes.
The easiest will be a midi as source.
Anyway, for sure, I don't have the time to write this.

Ep8Script

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Oh, okay thanks. No worries, I probably don't have the programming knowledge to do so either but I'm sure someone will wish to do a converter at some point. :)

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just used this to modify my re-shelled joycon. Went from the gray set and swapped them to the red/blue (left blue right red that comes with the console pack, not the opposite that comes with the standalone joycons). Worked perfectly!
As a side note if anyone knows where to get SL SR buttons (or joycon rails) let me know. Can't seem to find them anywhere and they are the only thing that don't match.

SenpaiIsTheMan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
First of all: This is amazing! Thx for creating this.

This might be asked already (but I'm too lazy to go through all the pages):

Will the option to change the pro controller buttons be added in the future?

Hario337

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
First of all: This is amazing! Thx for creating this.

This might be asked already (but I'm too lazy to go through all the pages):

Will the option to change the pro controller buttons be added in the future?
Actually, there isnt any way to change the pro controllers buttons.
The switch isnt capable of displaying the pro controller with button colours as they appear as transparent.
I might be wrong though so who knows.

Last edited by Hario337,

CTCaer

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I don't know if it's taken into consideration in Switch v3.0.1 though.

Make a backup if you haven't done with latest toolkit and try v1.0 toolkit.
It was the only version that you could change the value for buttons for pro.

Reply here with your findings.
If they are still not working for Pro, restore them back to factory value by writing the white color: 255,255,255

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work