To the people who pirated Tears of the Kingdom early-- how is it?

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Huge game. I keep getting distracted by spotting shrines and such, and getting into situations that I wouldn't know how to get out of without using the cheats (infinite jump being the main thing... because it work while paragliding as well). I've played about 3 days now, and *think* I'm 25% done with the main quest, lol...

All in all, I think it could have been an expansion to BoTW, except for mechanics. There are old mechanics that no longer apply (or I just haven't gotten that far yet), and new mechanics. So far, it looks like most of the mechanics that were abused in BoTW speedruns, are invalid in this game.

EDIT: And to be clear, I WILL BUY this game, no matter what. It's just that I won't have the ability to buy it on release day (to include downloading the digital version from eshop) or even within the first week, for reasons that I can't post publicly.

cmoig

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Morocco
It's on par with BoTW in terms of quality, they added some quality of life stuff.
Overall it plays and feels like BoTW , the addition make exploration fun like the previous game but it is a bit expended.

I am enjoying this more than BoTW , Breah of the wild was extremely overhyped by the community which made me have high expectations when I played it :D

If you liked BoTW , you will have fun with this one.

I don't remember well but I feel the side content/quests in this game feels better than BoTW

Reactions: BigOnYa

Tomato123

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't like how people keep saying it looks like it could have been an expansion for BOTW as no, this is so much bigger than any DLC could have been. If I had to pick which is better between BOTW and Tears, I'd say BOTW for the sense of wonder during exploration and TOTK for story and gameplay. Both have their strengths but wouldn't say one is necessarily better than the other. If you like BOTW, you should enjoy TOTK. Even friends who didn't want to play BOTW were interested in TOTK when shown to them because there is so much creative freedom in the abilities you are given.

My only complaint is some things are so hard to find that I'm only discovering them now. But that could be seen as a good thing depending on how you look at it. I just tend to not like having missed out on stuff that could have helped me out way earlier.

Reactions: Benjamh

RichardTheKing

Honestly XC2>XC3...
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
It's not worth pirating, let alone actually buying.

They still haven't learned that dev-placed map markers are pretty much necessary for open-world games, which by nature don't give implied direction through being linear, and side quests should always get markers regardless.
They still haven't realised how frustrating limited stamina and fragile equipment are, not even having an equipment-repair feature.

Go play a different game instead; you'll thank yourself later for all the valuable time saved by doing so.

Zkajavier

Trophies
XP
Country
Costa Rica
It feels like a remake of some sort.
It's just botw with a slightly revamped map, additional story of a very similar length and depth. And some few quality of life changes.

Better than botw, but not the best Zelda by far.

If you liked botw, you will like this one, if you hated botw it like I did tho, then you're in for another boring ride.

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not worth pirating, let alone actually buying.

They still haven't learned that dev-placed map markers are pretty much necessary for open-world games, which by nature don't give implied direction through being linear, and side quests should always get markers regardless.
They still haven't realised how frustrating limited stamina and fragile equipment are, not even having an equipment-repair feature.

Go play a different game instead; you'll thank yourself later for all the valuable time saved by doing so.
They do know how frustrating it is. That's why there are upgrades, and also recopies to learn, that both refill and also boost stats. You can attach things to weapons to make them stronger. Actually, now I'm wondering if fusing something resets/changes durability or not... (since you can "break" a fuse then fuse something else instead). Also, Things that are required to finish the game, are absolutely shown on the map. Often in flashing markers, when you set a quest item as active. Everything else, is for the fun of exploring and figuring stuff out.

Basically, you're saying you hate it because it's too complicated for you.

tpax

Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
It feels like a DLC for BotW. If you like BotW and still aren't fed up with it, you will probably like it, since it's more of the same. If you are already fed up on BotW, you will probably feel a fatigue, since it's more of the same. This development of that DLC could probably have been finished in 1 years, not sure what they did the rest of the time.

RichardTheKing

Honestly XC2>XC3...
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
They do know how frustrating it is. That's why there are upgrades, and also recopies to learn, that both refill and also boost stats. You can attach things to weapons to make them stronger. Actually, now I'm wondering if fusing something resets/changes durability or not... (since you can "break" a fuse then fuse something else instead). Also, Things that are required to finish the game, are absolutely shown on the map. Often in flashing markers, when you set a quest item as active. Everything else, is for the fun of exploring and figuring stuff out.

Basically, you're saying you hate it because it's too complicated for you.
No, I dislike it because it's not very player-friendly.

Most open-world games give players the courtesy of not getting lost or wasting time finding content, by having map markers already placed for you. I've played a bit of TotK, and the first few shrines were not automatically marked on the map, instead leaving it up to me to place inaccurate marks - er, no thanks, place accurate marks for me, like Assassin's Creed, Ghost of Tsushima, and basically every other open-world game does.

Limited stamina can be augmented with cooking using specific ingredients, and upgraded with shrine orbs, but that's just delaying the point until you need to stop sprinting or climbing or gliding to let it refill - it's not a proper fix to a shitty, player-hostile mechanic.
Luckily, for those of us with CFW, there's cheats to disable this bloody garbage, but it still never should've made it in in the first place. It's unnecessary; the game can be played perfectly fine with it disabled, so why have it? I do not see any purpose for it.

And weapons...guess what? There's cheats for infinite durability too, and the game plays even better with it enabled too. Now you don't have to worry about your gear breaking mid-combat, or at all, and if you find something more powerful just drop the weaker stuff!
Just like in Assassin's Creed Origin! Combat's actually worth a damn now! It's actually interesting and not just a resource drain!
Playing without these cheats would be aggravating, having to scrounge for all the fragile junk you can find and hold, with rewarded gear being just as temporary and unrewarding as stuff just found randomly.

So it's not that it's "too complicated", it's that it's horrible design, some of which has been thankfully circumvented with cheats.
Post automatically merged:

So in short they copied over all the worst parts of BotW gameplay-wise, and just made the story better than that game.
...When previous Legend of Zelda games, like Twilight Princess, had better stories still. Back on the GameCube. Back with better gameplay mechanics and more compact worlds. And arguably, back with better art styles too.

Ligeia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I am finding myself enjoying it a lot and I was not expecting it. It's like suddenly I was in the right mindset to enjoy to kind of tedium BotW/TotK have to offer. I haven't advanced the main story a lot but I'm exploring everywhere and loving it. It makes me wanna try BotW again after that to see if I enjoy it as well this time.

Generally speaking it feels like an extended remix of BotW of some sort, they built on the pre-existing BotW world.

x3n0

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
No, I dislike it because it's not very player-friendly.

Most open-world games give players the courtesy of not getting lost or wasting time finding content, by having map markers already placed for you. I've played a bit of TotK, and the first few shrines were not automatically marked on the map, instead leaving it up to me to place inaccurate marks - er, no thanks, place accurate marks for me, like Assassin's Creed, Ghost of Tsushima, and basically every other open-world game does.

Limited stamina can be augmented with cooking using specific ingredients, and upgraded with shrine orbs, but that's just delaying the point until you need to stop sprinting or climbing or gliding to let it refill - it's not a proper fix to a shitty, player-hostile mechanic.
Luckily, for those of us with CFW, there's cheats to disable this bloody garbage, but it still never should've made it in in the first place. It's unnecessary; the game can be played perfectly fine with it disabled, so why have it? I do not see any purpose for it.

And weapons...guess what? There's cheats for infinite durability too, and the game plays even better with it enabled too. Now you don't have to worry about your gear breaking mid-combat, or at all, and if you find something more powerful just drop the weaker stuff!
Just like in Assassin's Creed Origin! Combat's actually worth a damn now! It's actually interesting and not just a resource drain!
Playing without these cheats would be aggravating, having to scrounge for all the fragile junk you can find and hold, with rewarded gear being just as temporary and unrewarding as stuff just found randomly.

So it's not that it's "too complicated", it's that it's horrible design, some of which has been thankfully circumvented with cheats.
Post automatically merged:

So in short they copied over all the worst parts of BotW gameplay-wise, and just made the story better than that game.
...When previous Legend of Zelda games, like Twilight Princess, had better stories still. Back on the GameCube. Back with better gameplay mechanics and more compact worlds. And arguably, back with better art styles too.
In my experience the first shrines were pointed out to clearly. Predefined markers spoil the search of an open world.

An infinite durable great weapon to smash everything makes for repetitive gaming, now I have to manage weapons before I go in, it's part of the challenge.

I'm with the other guy. This game is probably over you're head, you prefer better guided games to hold you're hand all the way.

Reactions: NeroLink

iruzer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
My opinion is now i understand why they make this DLC to new games.
Reason: it is will big size of dlc if they force it as dlc botw.
1. Map is same but with difference environment. (shrine one eyes is gone now, they change to new shrine from ancient age)
2. Enemy is stronger than botw1.
3. Map with three world : sky - world - underground

Last edited by iruzer,

l7777

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm liking it so far, just spent a day navigating the world sans a key piece of aerial equipment because I was excited to go see old places and ignored the initial main quest markers. 😂

Tails54321

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am absolutely LOVING this game, story is top tier, weapons are top tier, everything is great

You can even explore, land, sky or underworld which is very creative!

Game is crazy! totally love it!
We are so lucky to get it early!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nintendo president Tatsumi Kimishima took the stage at the outset to reveal that Switch will...