ROM Hack Time To Give Up on Translations?

ScottySniper

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
@People moaning about lack of english storyline.

It's a pokemon game. What storyline are you hoping for? A plot twist or something?
Every single pokemon game goes, get starter, first mission, badgesbadgesbadgesbadges, legendary, badgesbadges, elite 4. Just play through the thing. Besides, if you've never played the OLD Gold/Silver/Crystal, you really should have nothing to complain about. You've never had it better.

Creqaw

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I've played Crystal like 6 years ago and I can still remember what to do and for the minor new stuff you can use serebii or pokemon forums.
So menu/attack/item translations is all you need...

Xenosis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Aeladya said:
Unless the game won't be released outside of it's respected country, translations are meaningless. If you can't figure out how to use Bulbapedia or Serebii to figure out attack names, items, ect then you really need to stop playing Pokemon. Games like SaGa 2 (the remake) will never be released outside of Japan and these games need and deserve translations. Pokemon does not. I mean seriously, if you can't figure out that the green looking potion in your items is an awakening by now then you really aren't a Pokemon fan.

Yeah, that works fine and dandy for items in your bag, but how the hell do you tell the difference between the move "????", the move "??????", the move "??????", and the move "????" on your Totodile?

You can try to memorize them by their effects, but that's just frickin' tedious. I don't want to be sitting next to my computer every 5 seconds in order to play a damn battle.

Seriously, it's not like I'm not going to play the English one when it comes out. I just want a rudimentary translation so I can at least understand what moves and items I'm using. I don't care if it's not fully translated. It's Pokemon, for God's sake. It's not some in-depth game with a super-involved storyline.

whatup777

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You Guys are misssing the point (kinda). If Mario RPG 3 was only half translated whould you play it if it didnt have an english release? " Oh now that I can see what the items do I'm good to go?" My brother was a HUGE Gold/Silver fan but he doesnt waste his time memorizing what everyone says? Oh I know it like the back of my hand, more like I'm winging it and wont know what to do after the Elite Four. Without a Storyline Translation to me it becomes useless. I'm not saying to Kazo and Raqib (that's how you spell it right?) to stop many others would love them to keep going, but in my opinion its pointless without storyline. Even if the storyline translation is done 2 months before english release I'd be very grateful. that makes it only 4 months of waiting. So go ahead Kazo/Raqib your doing a great job and pleasing many people. So all I'm asking is if you can make a storyline translation then you would be doing a excellent job and be pleasing everyone.
smile.gif

whatup777

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dimmidice said:
CrashmanX said:
Why do you guys make topics about people using there own time to do something? Are they wasting your time?^agreed, either translate it yourself or shut the fuck up. let people do whatever they want, doesn't effect you.
QUOTE(Ice God64 @ Sep 15 2009, 03:05 AM) I play an RPG for story.

Usually Pokemon is an exception. But I care about heart gold since THE STORY IS CLEARLY DIFFERENT. If translators are going to be that lazy, I'm waiting for the US release. Honestly, I don't see how that can be called "Excusable".
i lol'd hard, yes these people who translate this ON THEIR OWN TIME. are lazy, yep yep. grow up.
Are you stupid? Clearly you are. I am not saying that what there doing is pointless. I'm saying that without the story what's the point of playing a game (unless you know it like the back of your hand) I am very grateful for them using there time for the benefit of others.
You my friend are a dumbass

CrashmanX

Current project: SD Gundam G Generation Overworld
Trophies
Website
boards.4chan.org
XP
Country
United States
So you made a topic just to troll and say "I dont like Menu Translations! You should spend your free time that I am not paying you for and Translate a game that I wont show any appreciation for!"

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
whatup777 said:
Yes I know the Translations are useful but without the storyline WTH is the point of playing? You cant tell what people say to find out interesting things? So In my opinion unless they make a translation patch its pointless. And people that can only read English will have to wait till 2010? I thought the point of translation was so that we wouldn't have to w8? Now I have to wait till 2010. Spring......... Its September 14. so... October November December January February March. 6-7 months.Go Translations...... -.-You start off your post by conceding that "the translations are useful," then contradict yourself by saying they're "pointless." You're clearly not someone to be taken seriously since you don't seem to have the cognitive ability to construct a simple argument.

Everyone here is a hobbyist. Some people make homebrew. Others make skins to use on their flashcarts and share them with others. Still others will translate. You should be lucky that translation patches are even possible. I'm not that old, but just 10 years ago, no one would've ever dreamed of playing a Japanese game in English before the English version was released. It's a relatively new thing for the average person to take a ROM, extract the text from it and put in translated text. You're either a spoiled kid who takes that for granted, or someone who just doesn't think things through before blabbing nonsense on a forum.

Primenay13 said:
I agree no translation should be made without the story translated. However most people are too lazy we will just have to wait untill 2010QUOTE(Ice God64 @ Sep 14 2009, 06:05 PM)
If translators are going to be that lazy, I'm waiting for the US release. Honestly, I don't see how that can be called "Excusable".
You obviously have absolutely no idea what goes into translating. As others have already said, translators on this forum do it for free, on their time, and so that others can enjoy the game as much as possible until an official English translation comes out. Which brings me to my next point - there is no reason for translators to waste their time on a plot translation when a localized version of the game will be released. They're not being lazy, they're just being smart with their time. You can't possibly expect people to spend their own time doing something for free when something better will come along later, making their work obsolete.

And you have the testicular fortitude to call translators "lazy?" You should try to put in some effort to learn Japanese before you ever call translators "lazy." Try translating a ROM before you ever call a translator "lazy."

If you're not willing to learn Japanese, that's fine. Just as ROM translators often have better things to do, you probably have more important things to do than studying another language. But that's just me giving you the benefit of the doubt. Short of learning Japanese, you have no other recourse but to wait. As others on this thread have pretty much said, shut the fuck up and stop bitching.

This thread is an affront to all the translators on this forum.

Frannyman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
In the end, what the translators (the ones who work on the patches) want to do is just burn some free time doing something they like. And I bet it's also nice for them to get possitive comments from the community as well.

The sooner people start realizing that, the sooner all those "why don't you start working on this game" kind of threads will stop. As well as all those "if you **** want that **** game translated, then translate it yourself and shut the **** up" kind of replies. In my opinion, neighter of them are good for the community: They are annoying for the long time members, meaning-less for the translators, but over all, very frustrating for the newbie.

xdarkx

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@whatup777 and anyone else that agree with him

If you don't like using translations made by fans, then simply don't use it. It isn't that hard is it nor is there anyone saying that you must use it, right? And whatever people do with their spare time is their business not yours, so don't go telling people to give up what they are doing. Also, the point of translation is not so others don't have to wait, it is the people that are working on the translations hobby meaning they are not getting pay to do this.

Stevetry

Most perverted person in GBATEMP
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
if someone wants to do the translation let them stoop been such wimps so what is a full game translation is made the game wont come out for some time and people want to enjoy them now you guys always talking crap making the translator feel bad

CrashmanX

Current project: SD Gundam G Generation Overworld
Trophies
Website
boards.4chan.org
XP
Country
United States
Stevetry said:
If someone wants to do the translation, let them stop being such wimps. So what if a full game translation is made, the game wont come out for some time and people want to enjoy them now. You guys are always talking crap and making the translators feel bad.

here let me fix that for ya

mipe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
whatup777 said:
Yes I know the Translations are useful but without the storyline WTH is the point of playing? You cant tell what people say to find out interesting things? So In my opinion unless they make a translation patch its pointless. And people that can only read English will have to wait till 2010? I thought the point of translation was so that we wouldn't have to w8? Now I have to wait till 2010. Spring......... Its September 14. so... October November December January February March. 6-7 months.Go Translations...... -.-
Looking at the translation index, Hajime no Ippo: Fighting, complete translation, Soma bringer, 97,93% finished translation, Jump Ultimate Stars, pretty much completely translated, Metal Slug 7, complete translation.

So err.. Why do you exactly say that translations don't take the storyline with them?

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
nIxx said:
As said translations should me made for games that will never be released in US/EU i don´t understand either why people mainly pick up games that are anyway translated (so much wasted time for a half made translation) i guess for pokemon it´s just that there are already translation tools so it´s pretty easy.

EDIT: Honestly i see now 4 people (i bet there are even more people) translating the same new Pokemon games (that will get a official Translation !!) this is really just stuipid or why are so many people wasting there time with it.
it's their time to waste, not yours. so zip it.

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
That, and translators focusing on sticking with projects that have gone smoothly. Knowing how few reach completion isn't exactly something I'd find encouraging.

An official release isn't an auto-quit situation. A fan translation may be able to offer a better interpetation of the material, due to not having to worry about things like cultural differences or the ESRB.

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
whatup777 said:
Are you stupid? Clearly you are. I am not saying that what there doing is pointless. I'm saying that without the story what's the point of playing a game (unless you know it like the back of your hand) I am very grateful for them using there time for the benefit of others.
You my friend are a dumbass
i didn't even quote you. i was replying to ice god who was calling translators lazy.

mgbenz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
YayMii said:
Well, since Pokémon games are so popular, people grow impatient, and ask for translations as soon as the JAP version is released.
And WTF, 7 months for a translation? What game other than Pokémon gets an English release that long after the Japanese release?

If you know how localizing works you would know it's not only just translating every text in the game. It is very much more than that.

Atlus USA has explained why it would take that long for games to be localized, especially for JRPGs which the Pokemon games are.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/07/23/atlus-ex...ocalize-a-game/

And whoever you are complaining about the story. Really, since when did people actually care about a Pokemon game's story? Heck, many of the people who are playing the translations have already played GSC before (like me, many many many times even). So I know all too well what's the story about as simple and undeep it might be.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: unless nintendo is going to start selling consoles at a loss that thing won't be cheap based on...