Hardware Thoughts on the Wii U Pro Controller?

JFTS

Trophies
XP
Country
Fiji
Excellent move from Nintendo! I hope it will support all games, because it seems much better to hold than the bulky Wii U Pad.

EnigmaXtreme

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
When I saw this I almost cried, this is the perfect alternative to the gamepad, the only thing taht would rock harder is being backwards compatiable with Wii games so I can use it on xenoblade

My only concern is for people who use the 360 controller regularly

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Stop talking about the copying please.

Yes I'll agree that it looks like a tweaked Xbox controller, but the parallel sticks? Isn't that copying as well?

Please, just stop.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lol, if this was sony, we'll have 5 pages of nintendo fanboy crying about how sony copy everything.

This is a xbox controller, period.

I don't really feel like turning this into a page worth of banter, so I won't reply if you make a snarky comment, but that's my input.

The reason we Nintendo fanboys bitch about Sony is because they are arrogant and when they copy they act as if they invented the damn thing. As a Nintendo fanboy ill even admit that the pro controller is a copy of the 360 controller but with parallel sticks. I hate the idea. I want all of the attention on the tablet

I love the idea of parallel sticks. When I first placed the 360, it took me awhile to not keep pressing the d-pad by mistake. However having gaming buttons under the right stick is going to take a couple hours of getting used to as well. The placement of the sticks being above both the d-pad and buttons is probably to avoid Sony's and Microsoft's lawyers. The thing does look like a mix of both an 360 and playstation controller. I would go as far as saying it actually resembles madcats' light-up controllers they made for the original xbox more then a dual-shock n 360 controller. the red and blue starwars controllers. The only off brand my brother would ever let plugged into the xbox.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know, if you look at the SNES controller you'll see that it is Microsoft Xbox that took the idea from Nintendo from the beginning. They just added the sticks.

You realize that's a large enough change to make the controller highly different? That's like saying a SNES controller is just a keyboard with less buttons and a slightly different spaced D-Pad.

The two controllers are completely different, their only similarity is having 4 buttons and a D-Pad. The Xbox controller has a second row of buttons (first row is analog stick and ABXY, second row is D-Pad and another analog stick), not to mention bumpers and handles.

There's a large difference between a SNES controller and a Xbox controller compared to a Xbox 360 controller and a Wii U Pro controller. Pretty much everything about the Wii U Pro controller, minus analog placement, is identical to the Xbox 360 controller. Curvature, bumpers, triggers, even center button placement (the Xbox 360 has Select-Home-Start in the center and this has Plus-Home-Minus in the center) is identical. I mean the Wii Remote and Playstation Move have more differences for Christ's sake.

I just find it funny that when Nintendo copies something people go "YEAH WELL THEY CAN COPY BECAUSE THEY'RE NINTENDO" or people try finger pointing to draw attention off it but god forbid anyone else "copies" it's a shit storm.

Fibrizo

Not Valwin
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know, if you look at the SNES controller you'll see that it is Microsoft Xbox that took the idea from Nintendo from the beginning. They just added the sticks.

You realize that's a large enough change to make the controller highly different? That's like saying a SNES controller is just a keyboard with less buttons and a slightly different spaced D-Pad.

The two controllers are completely different, their only similarity is having 4 buttons and a D-Pad. The Xbox controller has a second row of buttons (first row is analog stick and ABXY, second row is D-Pad and another analog stick), not to mention bumpers and handles.

There's a large difference between a SNES controller and a Xbox controller compared to a Xbox 360 controller and a Wii U Pro controller. Pretty much everything about the Wii U Pro controller, minus analog placement, is identical to the Xbox 360 controller. Curvature, bumpers, triggers, even center button placement (the Xbox 360 has Select-Home-Start in the center and this has Plus-Home-Minus in the center) is identical. I mean the Wii Remote and Playstation Move have more differences for Christ's sake.

I just find it funny that when Nintendo copies something people go "YEAH WELL THEY CAN COPY BECAUSE THEY'RE NINTENDO" or people try finger pointing to draw attention off it but god forbid anyone else "copies" it's a shit storm.

while you keep crying over the Pro controller i will be enjoying my superior key layout that works and that sweet Nintendo Dpad

Reactions: 4 people

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Since when did xbox create that type of controller?
The PSX controller was the first controller to be like that.
Also it's not copying, what else can you do with a 2 analog stick controller to make it look different from the competitors.
That controller type is basically a shared idea like a remote or keyboard

Reactions: 3 people

Master Mo

F.R.E.E.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
i think it is rediculous if anyone says this ProController is not an altered 360 controller... It obviously is!

But imo it simply is a controller for people that are not open for innovation or something different and Nintendo just wanted to provide those with what they always wanted with not much dev time behind it (that probebly went into the GamePad).

Like Iwata said I would like to see the person using the gamepad with, like I said, the same amount of button, hopefully as comfortable but with social aspects and a not so clustered screen and go back to a 360-like controller. For me that would be blant ignorance and I think Nintendo is right to provide those with something they may be used to without spending to much time on designing it... Kudos to that.

Also I always thought the XBox Controller (which the 360 controller evolved from) was a more comfortable DC-controller. Don't know how that should resembled a SNES controller...

But this whole discussion is nonsense, since this controller is not really meant to be played with. I definitely will only buy one for local multiplayer.

EDIT:
Since when did xbox create that type of controller?
The PSX controller was the first controller to be like that.
Lol, no it wasn't... It was a controller with a d-pad, 4 facebuttons and shoulderbuttons. Nintendo made the N64 controller and Sega enhenced the analog for their NiGHTS controller (as shown in Hadrians pic a few posts ago) and then Sony added the analogs.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
Also it's not copying, what else can you do with a 2 analog stick controller to make it look different from the competitors.

Tell that to every other person who loves screaming "THEY'RE COPYING" whenever any piece of hardware comes out.
Pretty much everything about the Wii U Pro controller, minus analog placement, is identical to the Xbox 360 controller. I mean the Wii Remote and Playstation Move have more differences for Christ's sake.

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
ENOUGH with the "they're copying this", "they copied that", "it was first made by....." I mean, what the hell......share your thoughts on a presented controller, do not write a history of design theft!

:D

Fear Zoa

Still Alive
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm a bit concerned about the fact that both analogs are on top, it looks a bit awkward but i'm sure i'l adjust in time.
Second nubs always on the bottom right man, it can't go nowhere else, that's how it was on GameCube and PS2 and PS3 and Xbox 360

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it looks pretty cool...bout time Nintendo made a hardcore gamer looking controller

B002TLTBN0.01.lg.jpg

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-