Hardware Thoughts on the Wii U Pro Controller?

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so.... the Wii U doenst support the Classic Controller?

Doubt that, the WiiU supports the Wii Remote, so it is very likely it will also support the Nunchuck and the Classic Controller (Pro).

Already confirmed to support nunchuck so the classic controller should be obvious

Katsumi San

Trophies
XP
Country
Higly relevant video.

Wow this guy is talking so fast in English! I had to pause and rewind so many times, but I guess he has a point. The WiiU Pro Controller resembles the 360's controller a lot, though that's all I can say since I've never held one in my hands or a PS3 controller.

P.S. I really liked the intro with all the text, funny stuff. And damn he went as far as comparing the mouse and keyboard! xD

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess this is pretty good for options. (And less complaints )
It's black which is awesome. Added a mouse for PC gamers and you will have a well rounded console.

Fibrizo

Not Valwin
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lol, if this was sony, we'll have 5 pages of nintendo fanboy crying about how sony copy everything.

This is a xbox controller, period.

I don't really feel like turning this into a page worth of banter, so I won't reply if you make a snarky comment, but that's my input.

the form is very similar if not the same but what matters is the layout and is way better that 360 one and just look at that beautifull d pad

Slowking

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'd like to point out the irony when people say "Nintendo is original" when this is literally just the Xbox 360 controller with the analog stick/ABXY pads swapped. But either way the Xbox 360 controller is probably the best ever designed and I could see why they'd copy it.

However, I just feel it's silly to push a peripheral that completely contradicts the whole "controller with a screen" thing. I know it's so you can do multiplayer but it just seems really silly.

Yeah and the XBOX 360 controller is literally just a slightly changed XBOX controller, which is literally jsut a slightly changed PS2 controller, which is literally just a first generation PS1 dontroller with two additional analog sticks, which is literally jsut a SNES controller.
(pst analog stick and SNES controller where invented by Nintendo ;) )

Seriously. The XBOX controller is basically the SNES desing with analog sticks added. Ofcourse the form factor is different but so is this controller's compared to the XBOX controller.

Reactions: 3 people

Walker D

I have a hat
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Everybody copies everybody controller wise... ...but Nintendo was the most copied, since it defined the initial standard on how a game controller should look and function

hehe ..I don't even care how controllers look similar anymore ...probably they have more of a Nintendo dna on them them anything else :P

pokefloote

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The xbox controller is good. This controller is good. I see no reason to complain.

Unless they put both of the analog sticks on the same side, it would be copying someone else.
There is only so much you can do to a standard, dual-stick controller. So the copying argument is invalid.

Reactions: 4 people

I-Fatman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'd like to point out the irony when people say "Nintendo is original" when this is literally just the Xbox 360 controller with the analog stick/ABXY pads swapped. But either way the Xbox 360 controller is probably the best ever designed and I could see why they'd copy it.

However, I just feel it's silly to push a peripheral that completely contradicts the whole "controller with a screen" thing. I know it's so you can do multiplayer but it just seems really silly.

You know, if you look at the SNES controller you'll see that it is Microsoft Xbox that took the idea from Nintendo from the beginning. They just added the sticks.

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
so.... the Wii U doenst support the Classic Controller?

Doubt that, the WiiU supports the Wii Remote, so it is very likely it will also support the Nunchuck and the Classic Controller (Pro).

Already confirmed to support nunchuck so the classic controller should be obvious
Well it is not obvious because they did not in fact say so. In the video they mentioned the wiimote, nunchuck, and the balance board. It would have only taken him 2 extra seconds to mention the classic controller, but he did not so that leaves the possibility that they are going to let you spent extra money to purchase more peripherals because certain older ones are not compatible. I can say though that I would like to assume that the classic controller will be supported just so people don't have to have it just collecting dust, but to tell you the truth I thought that the classic controller was absolutely ridiculous to have it plugged into a wiimote to use when it should have just come wireless in the first place.

On another note, I hope that this new gamepad will be able to be used with the wii for emulators and such. That would make my day.

TheDarkSeed

I'm a pretentious sack of shit
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like it because I love how comfortable the xbox controller is, butttttt the buttons look like they would be so awkward to use IMO.
In my opinion I think it would be easier. Having both sticks on the upper part of the controller should make the buttons easier and possibly quicker to access. It's easier for me to bring my thumb down then to lift it up to input commands with the buttons.

This might shave milliseconds off reaction time.

Master Mo

F.R.E.E.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I don't really see the point of this controller for singleplayer, since the gamepad provides the same amount of buttons and hopefully is as comfortable as a regular controller just with more abilities, that may or may not be utilized.

So the only reason I think people would get this is for local multiplayer for the other persons...

Other then that the controller looks good (I always thought the 360 controller is the best traditional controller of the bunch).

Also I don't really know why people complain about button-placement. The PS3 for example has both stick on the lower part so why not put both on the upper part of the controller? Just a matter of getting used to it imo.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's not much else they can do with this kind of controller, I mean if they put the sticks at the bottom people will say they're copying Sony instead. I don't see any blatant copying whatsoever (like with Sony Smash Bros, yeah there have been crossovers but the style completely mimicks SSB or even the Move), it'll be like saying they ripped off Sony for using a DVD format for the Wii.

Also there were PC/Sony controllers that looked like this in the 90's and besides MS ripped off this and just added an extra stick...theirs even has six face buttons, lousy rip off merchants*:

segasaturnana1c.jpg

*Just a joke by the way.

Either way who gives a shit? If it works, use it. Sony went the right way with the Move but its a shame that they haven't bothered promoting it. I'm happy with any company copying something like this if it makes gaming better.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Ding dong