Hardware Thoughts about the Nintendo Switch reveal

Sheikah Impa

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, they were dodgy about the hardware specs..I know they don't care about it, but it seems like they knew it was a tad under powered.
And it also looks like I won't be able to use my old wii u games I bought on the nintendo store.

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
Good:
Mario Odyssey
Region Free
Xenoblade 2
Getting sports games back
HD rumble
Zelda

Bad:
Price (it's not that bad, but just disappointing with the 200-250 rumors, thanks internet)
Paid online (inevitable given everyone else getting away with it - thanks Sony/MS)
System is not mindblowing in any way but it can run Crysis at least
Switch 1 2 is a paid hardware demo
ARMS
No 3ds backwards compat announced
No virtual console info
It will never be in stock

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Darkestnoir

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Yeah, they were dodgy about the hardware specs..I know they don't care about it, but it seems like they knew it was a tad under powered.
And it also looks like I won't be able to use my old wii u games I bought on the nintendo store.
Yeah they also said nothing about backward compatibility.

ieatpixels

Trophies
XP
Country
Disappointed!
Where are the launch titles!?
We already knew Zelda was coming.
I was expecting a handful of big titles for the launch.

The Joycon controller technology looks good to me, but after they made a speech about delaying the system in order to have decent launch titles I was expecting more.

Reactions: stl25

Darkestnoir

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Good:
Mario Odyssey
Region Free
Xenoblade 2
HD rumble
Zelda

Bad:
Price (it's not that bad, but just disappointing with the 200-250 rumors, thanks internet)
Paid online (inevitable given everyone else getting away with it - thanks Sony/MS)
ARMS
No virtual console info
ARMS best game name ever but what is with LEGS? :D

Last edited by Darkestnoir,

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good:
Mario Odyssey
Region Free
Xenoblade 2
HD rumble
Zelda

Bad:
ARMS
No virtual console info

I really don't think you should be holding your breath on that one. It'd be nice, but I don't see it happening.

MionissNio

Trophies
XP
I will only buy it for Zelda cus I don't own a Wii u, price didn't disappoint me I was expecting 350 to be honest but 300 is reasonable pay to play online, doesn't matter I only do single player so. So far i am not impressed with the launch lineup tho.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good:
Mario Odyssey
Region Free
Xenoblade 2
HD rumble
Zelda

Bad:
ARMS
No virtual console info

WTF would you want 3DS backwards compat to have sub 480p games blown up on a 50" HDTV lol, they'd look horrible XD

thane98

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm a little conflicted to be honest. A lot of the upcoming titles look spectacular, and Zelda already looks like game of the year material. If all of those games actually do come out in 2017, then the Switch will have a really good line up by the end of year. But only announcing one game for launch is just suicide. I seriously hope that Nintendo has more than that to show, because launching with that lineup would start the console off in a really bad position.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please insanity for once stop trying to be a #1 fanboy for Nintendo, the presentation was average at best and you know it
If it was any other company I would agree, but I went in with low expectations and it looks like Nintendo did everything they needed to to solve the problems they created with the Wii U. I agree, at face value it was meh, but in terms of gathering a userbase and distancing themselves from their last trainwreck they're doing pretty good

Reactions: Deleted User

Smash Br0

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No new Metroid or F-Zero? Bah...

BotW and Super Mario Odyssey look great, but I'll be waiting for a Limited Edition console / value bundle before I buy.

DrkBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
The switch apparently cannot run current next Gen games, that was expected. it was just an average presentation but anyway i didn't have big expectations, i guess if i want multiplatform games i will be going for the ps4, the dream of running gta, final fantasy, mass effect and mario on the same console it doesn't look like a reality

geodeath

Trophies
XP
Country
I loved the presentation overall. I am afraid to say though that as i expected the level of polish on some of the titles is incredibly low and although someone might jump here and fly the "too early dude" flag, i will say that some of the games showcased looked low poly enough for me.

Obviously nintendo's own games look fabulous as they always were. Zelda kinda shows it is not running on top hardware but if they pull of HDR with it i will be happy :) Mario looks awesome, i think it will be the first really revolutionary mario after mario64. The others were great too but i feel this will be massive. The motion controls and new rumble sound great, who else to innovate on something like this if not nintendo themselves.

The one thing i am still not getting is people being excited about how skyrim is supposed to overwhelm. It might be a great game and i will definitely get it as i did not play it yet (or i could grab a bargain for my ps instead) but it *really* shows its age..

The mix of games left me disappointed though. Were this released when i was a teenager i would die from joy, seeing as they are trying to do what they did back then again, make people play in the same room, which is awesome. I wish i could live it again but growing up and having very small patches of time to play means no time and not having friends around all the time. Sincerely hope there are going to be many nice experiences for the single player . Which is why i do not care about splatoon at all, it also looks *horribly* dated and extremely ugly. But i am sure it is fun. I also cannot care about 90% of the japanese anime like games with wonky and childish characters (atlus i am looking at you), had one too many in previous consoles. Unless we are talking for the exceptional 1 that will stand out.

Xenoblade looks interesting but still looks a bit... old... Could be the game design itself, cannot put my finger on it, perhaps all the anime like games share a design (and i mean really the design of the characters guns weapons etc) that does not look modern enough on any hardware.

I am happy with the hardware on a price/performance ratio if 3rd parties can elevate their games to match the 1st party ones. But then we know the answer to that. :)

Last edited by geodeath,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgCjp3-rF_Y