Hardware Thoughts about the Nintendo Switch reveal

boomario

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I mean, the console is fine for devs and industry standpoint but damn their marketing is terrible for attracting people.

Sheikah Impa

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought the look of the games were alright. I have a ps4, and some of the graphics were a tad comparable I guess. That super mario game though...When he's in the city, he looks out of place. Like, different from the models around him.

Reactions: Deleted User

geodeath

Trophies
XP
Country
The one thing i cannot believe i am reading is people expecting to see everything in 1 hour. Today is the press event guys, hang on a few more hours, i am sure they are going to show more... :)

All right, signing off to get some more sleep before work (UK here). Hopefully some gentleman will offer me his +1 on the weekend london hands on event...

D

Deleted User

I know someone's gonna call me a Nintendo fanboy for saying this but I'm extremely excited and will absolutely be preordering a Switch!
Arms looks really fun, like it might end up becoming one of the games my family plays every year on new year's together. While Splatoon 2 may be extremely similar to the first, I'm still excited for that too, since I'm no longer going to be buying a Wii U and because of that won't be able to have played the first Splatoon anyways, same thing with Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe looks like it might also become one of those games my family plays every year on new year's, replacing Mario Kart Wii. I'll also have a chance to play Skyrim now, since I didn't before because I've heard the PS3 port isn't all that great, and because I have a fucking laptop.
I am, however, not happy about the payed online. This is one thing that was also putting me off from purchasing one of the other current-gen consoles. The lineup does look pretty good so far though, so that makes up for the payed online in my opinion.

Reactions: the_randomizer

foob

Trophies
XP
Country
joycon straps = best thing in the presentation
joycon neon red & blue colours = second best thing from the presentation
EA presenter = most realistic human-like robot at the presentation
Zelda = most surprising release date of the presentation
price = most unsurprising numbers in the presentation
ARMS & 1-2 Switch = least impressive-sounding games of the presentation
grey plastic of Switch looks like the 'native' colour of the plastic (ie. uncoated plastics) which I think is good

More embedded Li-Ion batteries in joycons and the unit itself, presumably. Unknown ease-of-disassembly. I'm betting battery life closer to 2.5 hours on most games in mid-level brightness and sound. We'll see...

Last edited by foob,

FrostyDialga

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
I know someone's gonna call me a Nintendo fanboy for saying this but I'm extremely excited and will absolutely be preordering a Switch!
Arms looks really fun, like it might end up becoming one of the games my family plays every year on new year's together. While Splatoon 2 may be extremely similar to the first, I'm still excited for that too, since I'm no longer going to be buying a Wii U and because of that won't be able to have played the first Splatoon anyways, same thing with Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe looks like it might also become one of those games my family plays every year on new year's, replacing Mario Kart Wii. I'll also have a chance to play Skyrim now, since I didn't before because I've heard the PS3 port isn't all that great, and because I have a fucking laptop.
I am, however, not happy about the payed online. This is one thing that was also putting me off from purchasing one of the other current-gen consoles. The lineup does look pretty good so far though, so that makes up for the payed online in my opinion.
Well except if they put a main series pokemon game on it.

Reactions: Deleted User

Zorua

I'm not a furry.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What the fuck was this conference? Guess Nintendo's full on targeting awkward preteens now. That presentation gave me lethal doses of secondhand embarrassment.

Also I get that Suda51 is popular but bringing literally one drawing of a character is not gonna work.

Reactions: wormdood

stl25

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a feeling developer support will lacking on this system as well. The first year will determine flip or flop. My guess is flop. Does anyone really see true innovative gameplay or more gimmicks cleverly disguised by Nintendo. I hope the system does well, but it is not going to compete with MS and Sony. I know it is not designed to compete with MS and Sony but console sales and software sales tell the tale and the Wii U is the proof in the pudding. I smell a repeat with the Switch. Now I can carry my switch, phone, 3DS with me all at the same time. So tempting (NOT).

D

Deleted User

IMHO, It looks great, but paid online triggers me so much (but I don't plau online THAT much so...)
I usually don't play online much at all on Nintendo consoles, but if the Switch is gonna have a lot of the games that the other current-gen consoles have, then it might be a problem for me. Maybe less of one if the online is cheap, but still a problem and something that bugs me a bit.

Reactions: AxlSt00pid

Mr.ButtButt

The Cancer Of Gbatemp <3
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It was good, but like 2.5-6 hour battery is YIKES, and 2 fucking launch titles so far, ALSO YIKES.
BUT THAT FUCKIN SMT5 AND DRAGON QUEST THOUGH, HOLY SHIT

SRKTiberious

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not exactly sold on the Switch as it stands. $300 is, well, kinda steep, considering what the rumors are saying about its power. I can't imagine that it reaches XBOne or PS4 levels, and the battery life in off-screen mode leaves something to be desired. Premium online services are also something kinda souring me on the Switch, as their track record for online is spotty at best.

One real win they did make, though, is their region-free stance. It feels like they'd been dragged kicking and screaming towards it, but it's removed one of the major impulses for console modification. Now, if they decide to provide a homebrew sandbox, they'll make their system much less-tempting a target for the majority of hackers. I mean, pirates are still going to try, as are those seeking the challenge, but pirates are gonna pirate, and tinkerers are a small portion of the userbase that can reasonably safely be ignored.

As far as games?

Breath of the Wild is really the only interesting title for me, and that's getting a Wii U port.
Super Mario Adventure 2 Battle Odyssey is a way off, as is Splatoon 2, even though I don't have much interest in it.

Smash info was non-existent, which is kinda disconcerting. This means that either a Switch port of Wii U is either down the road further, or it will be a 5th entry into the series. A 5th entry means probably a wait of a couple years, so a Wii U port with added unused assets (Ice Climbers), simpler characters to add (Wolf), and then a renewed DLC cycle could've been a decent cash-in title for a smaller team while a true 5th entry was in development by the bulk of the Smash devs.

Like it or not, Smash is a system-seller, and so with some people, no Smash early means initial sales figures will suffer, likely causing a Wii U-style situation. 3DS also suffered from a poor launch lineup, but Nintendo could afford that, because they own the handheld market. They can't really afford it in the console arena, which, let's face it, the Switch is.

I know, Nintendo has endless trunks of money and can afford to eat losses, but in the end, they're a business, and at some point, they're going to decide the gaming market's no longer for them if they keep having console flops. It happened to Sega, and we're arguably poorer for it today (Sega had almost always been ahead of their time with hardware, especially in the arcade arena. And while they flopped as much as they succeeded, we aren't seeing too many real innovations outside of Nintendo anymore).

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And that sucks, only Best Buy and Walmart have preorders right now, not Amazon, or Gamestop. See, I would preorder from them, but they both would charge me in full since I use debit, yeah, that sucks big time. Will wait for GameStop or Amazon instead.

D

Deleted-355425

Just pre ordered with some store discount for £270. It's one per customer so I may sell it after release day for a profit :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    meowie13 @ meowie13: hellooo everyone