Hacking Master Detective Archives: RAIN CODE - "The software was closed because an error occurred"

SerJonSnow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi everyone. I was struggling to solve this problem over the weekend and I'm still stumped.

I've downloaded the most recent version of Rain Code (1.3.1) from Tinfoil, and it installed fine. However, whenever I try to launch it, it will show the Switch logo, then a black screen, and then eventually the message "The software was closed because an error occurred".

I've tried doing a clean install of the game through Tinfoil, and I've also tried downloading the NSZ files and installing via USB. It installs fine, but won't launch past that crash. Other games work fine (I just finished playing Shin Megami Tensei V with no problems).

I've got the most recent version of Hekate (6.0.5) and Atmosphere (1.5.4) installed. I thought maybe the sigpatches were outdated so I redownloaded those over the weekend, but that didn't make a difference either.

I found another post where a user mentioned that they'd had this error recently and they solved it by creating a new user profile that doesn't have a Nintendo account tied to it, but that didn't work for me either.

Has anyone else encountered this issue or got any ideas at all?

baobao43

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have this same issue from time to time. I fixed it by turning off the switch and going into maintenance mode. You don't need to do anything just enter and exit. This fixed the issue for me on a couple games. It must be clearing some cache or something that happens when you enter that mode. Not sure why it works but it works.

EDIT: To enter MM hold volume up and down while powering on your switch. If You have auto RCM enabled you can just hold volume up and down while starting atmosphere. Also, this step might not be necessary but I manually erased the all files involved so the game, update, and dlc using DBI before I did the maintenance mode thing. Then after erasing and entering maintenance mode I re installed.

"How to enter Maintenance mode​

You can boot into maintenance mode by following these steps:

1. Power off your console completely.
  2. hold (VOL +) & (VOL -) while booting into atmosphere.

What is maintenance mode used for?​

Maintenance mode is used to reset the cache for your Switch. This can be used to remove the firmware update nag (this only works on erista devices), or to fix a game that might not be launching." --- from the Rentry FAQ section

Last edited by baobao43,
Reactions: SerJonSnow

SerJonSnow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have this same issue from time to time. I fixed it by turning off the switch and going into maintenance mode. You don't need to do anything just enter and exit. This fixed the issue for me on a couple games. It must be clearing some cache or something that happens when you enter that mode. Not sure why it works but it works.

EDIT: To enter MM hold volume up and down while powering on your switch. If You have auto RCM enabled you can just hold volume up and down while starting atmosphere. Also, this step might not be necessary but I manually erased the all files involved so the game, update, and dlc using DBI before I did the maintenance mode thing. Then after erasing and entering maintenance mode I re installed.

"How to enter Maintenance mode​

You can boot into maintenance mode by following these steps:

1. Power off your console completely.
  2. hold (VOL +) & (VOL -) while booting into atmosphere.

What is maintenance mode used for?​

Maintenance mode is used to reset the cache for your Switch. This can be used to remove the firmware update nag (this only works on erista devices), or to fix a game that might not be launching." --- from the Rentry FAQ section
Thank you for the incredibly detailed response! I especially appreciate the instructions on how to enter maintenance mode with auto RCM enabled.

Unfortunately, maintenance mode didn't fix the problem for me. I tried both with and without reinstalling the game/update/DLC, but I still get the same error when I open the game, even after entering and exiting maintenance mode.

• Sad
Reactions: baobao43

baobao43

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That sucks. I don't have any other ideas unfortunately. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me can give you advice here soon.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Sorry, I should have mentioned I'm on Emunand. The current version that shows up in System is 13.2.1|AMS 1.5.4|E
13.2.1? You need to update. There is your problem. Latest FW is 16.0.3

EDIT: Raincode Eshop version require 16.0.1 and updates 16.0.3
Dumped XCI require 14.0.0

linuxares

Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Tip, just update inside your Emunand with Daybreak and get the firmware 16.0.3 (Rebootless) from Darth

If you use Tesla btw, you need to update it and it's overlays before 16.0.3

SerJonSnow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wow this is very embarrassing; I thought updating Hekate and Atmosphere was updating the firmware! I've had my Switch hacked for a year and a half, and I can't believe this is the first time I've run into this issue.

I'm assuming the UpgradeDowngrade page on Rentry is the best guide to follow for how to update then, along with the instructions you've provided? I do see that there's a firmware file in Tinfoil; does that work at all, or is it better to follow the Rentry guide and get the firmware like you suggested?

SerJonSnow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well that was completely painless. And what do you know, the game launches perfectly fine now! I still can't believe this was the first game that gave me a problem with such an old firmware.

On a related note, how do you decide when it's safe to update the Emunand firmware? I always see these posts on the <Yaharr> subreddit warning people not to update, so how often would you update Emunand firmware?

linuxares

Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Honestly, if you just gonna play pirated games etc on the emunand. It shouldn't be any danger really. Normally just update the FW after Atmosphere and Hekate is updated. And Signature patches.

Of course you can make a backup of your Emunand before an update in case something went wrong.

SerJonSnow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Honestly, if you just gonna play pirated games etc on the emunand. It shouldn't be any danger really. Normally just update the FW after Atmosphere and Hekate is updated. And Signature patches.

Of course you can make a backup of your Emunand before an update in case something went wrong.
That's good to know, so pretty much just after Hekate/Atmosphere/Sigpatches are updated.

Thanks so much for your help!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto