This Week In Gaming: March 1

GBAtempTWIGLogo.png

Welcome back to another installment of This Week in Gaming! We're already onto the third month of the year! Q2 2018 is upon us, and with it comes a usual spike in gaming news and releases, right before everything peaks with E3. Let's see what's been happening lately in the gaming world.

Industry News

Switch becomes the fastest selling console in France

The Nintendo Switch continues to set records worldwide. This time, the system has become the fastest selling console in the country of France, selling around 900,000 units in 2017. While it hasn't reached the massive numbers that the Nintendo Wii did (a whopping 6.4 million), Nintendo of France's CEO expects another million in sales by the end of 2018.

:arrow: Source

Horizon Zero Dawn has sold over 7.6 million units

Guerilla Games' highly anticipated PlayStation 4 exclusive, Horizon Zero Dawn, has celebrated a year of release, as of today. Shipping 2.6 copies of the game within the launch window, the game was a commercial and critical success. Sony has decided to update H:ZD's sales numbers, revealing that the game has sold 7.6 million copies. To celebrate having reached this milestone, PlayStation will be offering some free avatars and a menu theme based on the game, for your PlayStation 4 systems.

Bartlet Jones Supernatural Detective Agency shuts down
A gaming studio, one founded by David Jaffe, known for his work on the God of War series, named the Bartlet Jones Supernatural Detective Agency will be closing its doors, after reports of laying off most of its staff. The company was founded in 2013, and only released one game in its lifetime; Drawn to Death. David Jaffe has said on Twitter that he'll be giving away any and all props from the studio to anyone in the area that shows interest.

General News

A Hat in Time will NOT be coming to the Nintendo Switch

The acclaimed retro throwback 3D platformer, A Hat in Time, might seem like it would fit perfectly on the Nintendo Switch. But according to the developers at Gears for Breakfast, and despite having console ports on the Xbox One and PlayStation 4, the lovely Nintendo inspired game won't be appearing on the Switch in any capacity.

Stardew Valley dev teases new game

Eric Barone, the creator of the Harvest Moon inspired indie sensation, Stardew Valley, has taken to Twitter to talk about the 2 year anniversary of his game. While thanking his fanbase, and saying that the Stardew Multiplayer patch is almost complete, he also mentioned that he's working on a new secret project, and that fans should look forward to hearing about it soon.

Nintendo to shut down Streetpass Relay Stations in Japan

The era of the 3DS is slowly fading, and though Nintendo has pledged to continue supporting it, it's quite clear that the system is nearing the end of its time. Nintendo Japan will be putting all the StreetPass relay stations, basically gathering points to get Streetpasses, to an end.

mario-ency-1085189.jpeg

Dark Horse Comics to publish Super Mario Encyclopedia in English

If you were a fan of Dark Horse Comic's Hyrule Historia, you might be excited to learn that the company will be bringing its other series-wide encyclopedia of another Nintendo franchise--Mario, to the west. Releasing this October, the Super Mario Bros. Encyclopedia will be fully translated, covering every Mario game from the original Super Mario Bros. all the way up until Super Mario 3D World. The book will offer concept art, maps, and interviews with developers. It'll also retail for about $39.99.

Square Enix plans to continue releasing DLC content for Final Fantasy XV into 2019

FFXV director Hajime Tabata has been on record saying that he had plans for three additional DLC packs for Final Fantasy XV to release, eventually. Now, he states that there's four DLC add-ons currently in development, that are scheduled to release throughout 2018, and into 2019. That means that the recently released Royal Edition won't be the end-all-be-all version of the game. It also means that by that time, FFXV will have been worked on for at least 13 years and have received 3 years of post launch support, seeing as the game was initially revealed in 2006, and released in 2016.

Yu Suzuki claims Shenmue story won't end at 3

Shenmue 3, the long-awaited sequel to a franchise that fans have been wanting an ending to its narrative for years, might not actually get a full conclusion when it does release. Yu Suzuki, the man behind the series stated that ending the story at the third entry would feel "rushed", and that he and his team didn't want to do that. So it looks like Shenmue fans might have a long wait ahead of themselves if they want to see the series get a total and final conclusion.

The Alliance Alive gets a demo

If you check the 3DS eShop today, you'll be able to try out a demo for Atlus' upcoming JRPG, The Alliance Alive. Featuring the writing work of Suikoden's Yoshitaka Murayama, and the music from FFXIII's composer, Masahi Hamauzu, the game features a turn-based battle system like more classic JRPGs of the past. The Alliance Alive is set to launch on March 27, 2018.

PlayStation 3 to shut down online servers for six games this month

Last time, we talked about the shutdown of Demon Souls server, which occurred yesterday. However, that isn't the only PS3 game that'll be affected, because by the end of March, PlayStation will be shutting down the servers for six more games, including Gran Turismo 6, Killzone 2 and 3, WipEout HD, EyePet, and Ace Combat: Infinity. If you want to collect the online-only trophies for Killzone, or play online with any of these games, you have until March 30.

SEGA's Alex Kidd series originally started as a Dragon Ball game

For those of you who grew up with a Sega console prior to the rise of Sonic the Hedgehog, you might remember Sega's original Mascot; Alex Kidd. Previously assumed to be a platformer made as competition to Nintendo's Mario, a new interview with the creator of the series has shed some light on how things came to be. Initially, Alex Kidd was supposed to be Dragon Ball game that was made by Sega, but when the company lost the license to the franchise, they quickly changed the game mid-development into the series we've come to know today.

PlayStation Plus' free games for March, new service change
For those of you who subscribe to PlayStation Plus, you might be excited to hear what Sony will be offering as their free games for the next month:
Bloodborne (PS4), Ratchet and Clank (PS4), Legend of Kay Anniversary (PS3), Mighty No. 9 (PS3/PS4), Claire: Extended Cut (PSV/PS4), and Bombing Busters (PSV/PS4). Additionally, next year, starting on March 8, 2019, PlayStation Plus will stop offering PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita titles as part of the program, and will focus only on PS4 games.

SEGA: SEGA FES will have a "surprise announcement!"

While the makers of Sonic the Hedgehog already have a "surprise" set for this year's SXSW convention, it looks like Sega of Japan has something up their sleeves as well. On April 14th, Sega Fes 2018 will take place, where the company will have a "unique surprise announcement" for fans.

Emulation/Hacking News & Fan Projects

CEMU 1.11.5 to release publicly on 3/3
The latest version of CEMU is out for the team's backers, and will be released to the general public on the 3rd of the month. This release brings some new features, like support for emulating the Wiimote via a keyboard or USB-connected controller. Those with Nvidia GPUs will also find a performance increase as well, with preliminary tests finding that Breath of the Wild gets a boost of about 5-7fps per second more, compared to previous releases.

RetroArch 1.7.1 released

The latest version of RetroArch is here! You can check the new updates in the changelog below!

• New Direct3D 11/12 driver
  • Emscripten/Web Player back in action and better than ever
  • Xbox port back from the dead
  • Subsystem support – Game Boy 2-player Link, Super Game Boy support with SNES emulators, etc
  • Universal shader spec gaining steam – Vulkan/D3D11/D3D12/WiiU all using the same shaders now
  • WiiU port vastly improved
  • Switch port
  • Configurable audio resampling

Dataminers find some new costume data in Super Mario Odyssey

The Cutting Room Floor, perhaps one of the best resources for beta and unused content, has found some new data within Mario Odyssey. According to the findings, there's ten new costumes that haven't been officially released, yet linger in the game's code. These items appear to be fully functional within the game, but are time-locked. If you want to know the full list of costumes found, you can check the source below.

Fallout 3 fan-remake

There's many classic games that people feel need a remaster, be it because of outdated controls, graphics, or bugs. This time, fans have taken it upon themselves to recreate Fallout 3...in Fallout 4. The people working on this project have uploaded a video, showcasing the metro tunnels from Fallout 3 fully remade in Fallout 4's engine. Of course, these projects are monumental and take years for significant progress, so we'll be sure to keep an eye on it in as time passes.

Game Announcements

Kirby developer HAL Laboratory's new smartphone game has launched

Hal Laboratory, known for making Nintendo's Kirby series, has released a new little mobile game. Titled "Part Time UFO", the game revolves around you playing as a UFO that has a crane that picks up items, and attempts to stack them. It's available for $2.99 on the iOS App Store and Google Play Store, and appears to have generally positive reviews.

Wild Guns: Reloaded will fire onto the Switch this April

Natsume's remake of the SNES classic, Wild Guns, will be releasing on the Nintendo Switch next month. The Switch version will cost $29.99 and will be available as both a physical and digital release. Wild Guns: Reloaded adds new features that were not in the SNES version, such as new characters, stages, and weapons, and will have 4 player local co-op as well.

Outlast quietly launches on the Nintendo Switch

Outlast, a 2013 horror game, has found its way to the Nintendo Switch. Priced at $29.99 on the eShop, you get Outlast and its prequel DLC. If you're a fan of this game, the sequel will be making its way to the Switch as well, later this month.

header (4).jpg

Drake of the 99 Dragons is coming to Steam

Drake of the 99 Dragons--a game from the early 2000s that many will probably know for being infamously terrible and glitchy, or by having watched ProJared--has suddenly received a Steam store page, and will be releasing on March 6. Publisher Majesco is behind the PC port, randomly bringing this 15 year old game, one of the worst reviewed original Xbox games, in fact, onto the PC platform.

Rumor Mill

RUMOR: Disney supposedly in talks to find new developer for Star Wars video games

In 2013, EA and Disney signed a license to develop multiple video games with the Star Wars brand. As a result of that contract, we've gotten two home console release of Star Wars titles--Battlefront I and II. Respawn Entertainment and EA Vancouver are also currently developing their own games as well. However, after the backlash from the release of Battlefront II, and according to Cinelinx and their sources, it looks like Disney/Lucasfilm might be trying to back out of the deal, and instead broker a contract with either Ubisoft or Activision to make future Star Wars games. However, all three of these companies are known for microtransaction controversies in the past, so this rumor doesn't seem entirely likely. Although, on the other hand, Disney is known to care a great deal about its IPs, so perhaps they're looking to change publishers just to avoid more negative feedback on the Star Wars video game brand.

RUMOR: Marvel Vs Capcom: Infinite to maybe be pulled from digital storefronts this October

The latest Marvel VS Capcom title, Infinite, certainly wasn't as successful as fans or Capcom had hoped it to be, going so far as to be snubbed by the community at this year's EVO tournament. And according to this next rumor, Capcom might be doing something drastic about it. According to a source with Marvel PR, Marvel VS Capcom: Infinite will be pulled from all digital storefronts by October 2018, only a year after its release. Even though the game was a critical failure, a reaction of this magnitude seems a tad exaggerated. However, this source was the one to correctly leak the fact that Marvel Heroes: Omega would be shut down. We'll have to wait until around October to see if this one is fact or fiction.

Review Recap

Official Reviews
HyperX Cloud Alpha headphones
Zwei: The Arges Adventure
Bayonetta 1+2
Dynasty Warriors 9
The Darkside Detective
Crossing Souls
The Fall: Part 2
Past Cure
Scuf Infinity 1 Controller
Layers of Fear: Legacy
8bitdo Arcade Stick

User Reviews
Onirim
Patchwork
Ninku
Settlers of Catan

Trailers

Yoku's Island Express Switch release trailer

Overwatch: New Hero Announce trailer

Bloodstained: Music update

Elder Scrolls Online: Dragon Bones trailer

Kirby: Star Allies Japanese overview trailer

Far Cry 5: Live Action trailer

Nintendo Power Podcast episode 3

Release Calendar: March 1-April 1

March 1
Mulaka (NS)
Little Triangle (NS)
Damascus Gear: Operation Tokyo (NS)
March 6
DJ MAX: Respect (PS4)
Final Fantasy XV (PC)
Scribblenauts: Showdown (XBO, PS4, NS)
March 13
Devil May Cry HD Collection (XBO, PS4, PC)
The Raven: Remastered (XBO, PS4, PC)
March 16
Kirby: Star Allies (NS)
Burnout Paradise: Remastered (XBO, PS4)
March 20
Attack on Titan 2 (XBO, PS4, PC, NS)
Sea of Thieves (XBO, PC)
Assassin's Creed Rogue: Remastered (XBO, PS4)
Titan Quest (PS4, XBO)
March 23
Ni No Kuni 2 (PS4, PC)
Detective Pikachu (3DS)
A Way Out (XBO, PS4, PC)
March 27
The Alliance Alive (3DS)
Far Cry 5 (XBO, PS4, PC)
Injustice 2 Legendary Edition (PS4, XBO, PC)
Outlast 2 (NS)
Atelier Lydie & Suelle (PS4, NS, PC)

Catsinabucket

Permanently Uncertain
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sad to hear about Streetpass in Japan, since I'm one of the (seemingly few) people who still actively seek out Streetpasses when out and about. Especially since Japan was where it seemed to be the most successful.

Well, at least this will motivate me to finally set up Raspipass properly

Stephano

pessimism = Realism
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As much as i'm not a fan of Ubisoft or Activision, I would say it's a step up from EA. And well yes these two companies are notorious for micro-transactions, maybe the thought of Disney selecting a new company to not pull stupid stunts like EA did will be enough to scare them in to not putting many, if any, micro-transactions in future Star Wars titles.

It's like that one scene from Star Wars V where Darth Vader chokes Admiral Ozzel to death for messing up the empires approach to Hoth and then having Captain Piett take his place. If I was Captain Piett (Ubisoft/Activision), I wouldn't want to anger Darth Vader (Disney).

(Here is the scene from the movie)

Reactions: Chary

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I'm actually shocked that 10 hours later and not many comments were here even after I sleep. :wtf:

As excited as I am to see wild guns on the switch, I'm still disappointed that every port doesn't have ONLINE MODE. I get it, is a 4 player "Couch co-op" game, but it still would have been nice to play with online friends. Besides that, I think the game looks great. I was gonna do the snes game while I was looking for games to review last month (And if i known @Chary would spotlight my Ninku review, I would have published one along with my other pending ones. :P )

If the rumor about marvel vs capcom infinite is true, then maybe the sales on the game this week on playstation store is a sign. I been holding off on buying the game cause I was concerned Capcom would just release another newer version like they can't stop doing with video games. Now I'm still thinking if I should buy the stuff on sale or not. It's so risky. Maybe if they didn't do stuff like "Arcade edition, ultimate edition" all the time, i wouldn't be thinking like this. Second note, marvel vs capcom 2 should have been on ps4 and steam, not 3.

Still kinda shock people know about Alex Kidd, that character was not very popular to keep getting new games, but now i wish there was a sonic mania like game for him. :P

I am kinda sad that ps3 games will start losing online mode, free online was great (Even though people had problems with it compared to xbox live) let's just hope the good games get ps4 ports like the old uncharted games online edition (wait the fourth game has grapple hook) Still people should have options.

I'm kinda glad bloodbourne is gonna be on playstation plus, was thinking hard about if i should get dark souls remaster on switch and maybe playing this will help me decide. :)

Reactions: Chary

Chary

Never sleeps
OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm kinda glad bloodbourne is gonna be on playstation plus, was thinking hard about if i should get dark souls remaster on switch and maybe playing this will help me decide. :)
Well, Bloodborne is more akin to Demon Souls rather than Dark Souls, but it should give you the jist of what the three franchises are all about.

Stephano

pessimism = Realism
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Aren't they all from the same developer? That one who used to make Armored core games on playstation..... FROM SOFTWARE. :blink:
Correct. The 5 games are put under the label "Soulsborne" since they all share similar almost identical mechanics. Each have their own aspects that stand out none of the games feel the same, yet they also do. While the games are different, skills in one game will almost directly translate to skills in another. All 5 are worth playing because each will offer a different side of the same coin.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Correct. The 5 games are put under the label "Soulsborne" since they all share similar almost identical mechanics. Each have their own aspects that stand out none of the games feel the same, yet they also do. While the games are different, skills in one game will almost directly translate to skills in another. All 5 are worth playing because each will offer a different side of the same coin.
I dunno about all that, but I'm not the expert here since I only considered buying Dark souls remaster since it said it would be on switch for $40. :P

(Just want more games to play on it.) This seem like the kind of game that could keep me busy too long trying to beat it unless I am actually a skillful player indeed. Besides all that, what i saw others play, the game just didn't seem like something I enjoy. The "Create your character thing" The so many dark places, kinda remind me of castlevania sometimes, combat doesn't look as exciting, looks basic, no magic, or jumping, "super special awesome attacks" (Like in a fighting game or even common rpg) and everything is bigger than you, did I mention I don't already like stamina gauges?

But I mean, already beaten breath of the wild, which kinda seem like dark souls, but less complex in character development. So I guess I can either try it, like or hate it. $40 Is more tempting for me to do so anyway. :ninja:

Stephano

pessimism = Realism
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dunno about all that, but I'm not the expert here since I only considered buying Dark souls remaster since it said it would be on switch for $40. :P

(Just want more games to play on it.) This seem like the kind of game that could keep me busy too long trying to beat it unless I am actually a skillful player indeed. Besides all that, what i saw others play, the game just didn't seem like something I enjoy. The "Create your character thing" The so many dark places, kinda remind me of castlevania sometimes, combat doesn't look as exciting, looks basic, no magic, or jumping, "super special awesome attacks" (Like in a fighting game or even common rpg) and everything is bigger than you, did I mention I don't already like stamina gauges?

But I mean, already beaten breath of the wild, which kinda seem like dark souls, but less complex in character development. So I guess I can either try it, like or hate it. $40 Is more tempting for me to do so anyway. :ninja:
(we are still talking about Dark Souls right? I got confused. lol)
While I cannot convince you to purchase Dark Souls, I'll at least try to clear up some of your assumptions.
There is plenty of magic in Dark Souls! haha There are three kinds (Spells, Pyromancy, Miracles)that are all different in terms of use. :D
There is only like 2 dark places that are tough to see in and that is the point of those to areas. :ph34r:
There is really no reason to jump contently similar to Zelda games prior to Skyward Sword.
you will wear a helmet or look like beef jerky most of the time so don't worry about your appearance. :rofl:

As for everything else, it's very valid. the combat certainly may not be for everyone and stamina gauges can get annoying. But in the end, that is the point. The game is designed to go against conventional ways of playing games. That's why the game is "hard". Most games hold the players hand while Dark Souls doesn't. Most games let to you feel like the true hero while Dark Souls has you earn that title through challenges that seem down right brutal.... but fair. Fairness is when you walk out of a challenge not relieved that it's over, but excited that you did it.
Dark souls may not be for you and that's fine. I would say these games are for people who want a twist on the standard rpg formula and want to get kicked around a bit. For $40 dollars, I would say get it.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Wait...there's a switch port of retroarch? Nice! :D

Drake of the 99 Dragons--a game from the early 2000s that many will probably know for being infamously terrible and glitchy, or by having watched ProJared--has suddenly received a Steam store page, and will be releasing on March 6. Publisher Majesco is behind the PC port, randomly bringing this 15 year old game, one of the worst reviewed original Xbox games, in fact, onto the PC platform.

Erm...I just checked and steam gets about 7 to 10 new games per day. Should this really be considered in the news bag? I mean...I get that some games get so incredibly bad (shaq fu, ET, superman 64) that they become news on itself, but...is it THAT bad? :unsure:

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is really no reason to jump contently similar to Zelda games prior to Skyward Sword.
Is just me but is hard for me to feel like i'm playing a action game when i can't jump. Yes if you can't tell, I do like my platformers, and even most games not of the genre do have it. I just find it more exciting to literally jump into battle and do jumping actions and even aerial combat, or even add some platforming elements.

you will wear a helmet or look like beef jerky most of the time so don't worry about your appearance. :rofl:
Is not more of how my character looks. But what you said brings up a good point. You make a avatar why? If your character is just gonna wear clunky armor like a knight of a castle, why have that creation process in this game? It's not that i don't like that stuff, is just sometimes they make them too refined and maybe even complex that i could spend hours on rather than playing the actual game. It's good that it has engaging things about it cause I know people like that stuff, I spent like 2.5 hours making 1 character on Black desert and that was just to start the game. But if dark souls is just as you said where you wear helmet and look like beef jerky most of the time, what good is making your character then?:unsure:

As for everything else, it's very valid. the combat certainly may not be for everyone and stamina gauges can get annoying. But in the end, that is the point. The game is designed to go against conventional ways of playing games. That's why the game is "hard". Most games hold the players hand while Dark Souls doesn't. Most games let to you feel like the true hero while Dark Souls has you earn that title through challenges that seem down right brutal.... but fair. Fairness is when you walk out of a challenge not relieved that it's over, but excited that you did it.
Dark souls may not be for you and that's fine. I would say these games are for people who want a twist on the standard rpg formula and want to get kicked around a bit. For $40 dollars, I would say get it.

I'm not asking for the game to "Hold my hand" I'm asking if the game is exciting. As a spectator of some gameplay, it doesn't look that way, playing is another side of the experience. I just need to know if the game is fair or exciting, and I mean as in cool stuff happening, not that "feeling good about yourself cause you accomplished a challenge."

Stephano

pessimism = Realism
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is just me but is hard for me to feel like i'm playing a action game when i can't jump. Yes if you can't tell, I do like my platformers, and even most games not of the genre do have it. I just find it more exciting to literally jump into battle and do jumping actions and even aerial combat, or even add some platforming elements.
Hey, believe me, i'm a platform person at heart as well. It's my favorite genera believe it or not. This is simply not a platform game and their is nothing wrong with that. :)
Although to be fair, these games do have...... questionable platforming....

Is not more of how my character looks. But what you said brings up a good point. You make a avatar why? If your character is just gonna wear clunky armor like a knight of a castle, why have that creation process in this game? It's not that i don't like that stuff, is just sometimes they make them too refined and maybe even complex that i could spend hours on rather than playing the actual game. It's good that it has engaging things about it cause I know people like that stuff, I spent like 2.5 hours making 1 character on Black desert and that was just to start the game. But if dark souls is just as you said where you wear helmet and look like beef jerky most of the time, what good is making your character then?:unsure:
Why design a character in Skyrim when the game is in First person most of the time? Its all about giving options to the player. :) In DS, you choose what you wear because the armor in this game wasn't designed to give players better stats or be more protected, armor is designed mainly so the player can be whatever they want or look like whatever they want. There is a phrase that gets thrown around in the community called "Fashion Souls." You want to run around and beat the game with no clothes on, you can. Heck, there are benefits to running around with no armor and same goes to running around with armor. You can wear a helmet or not, you can wear armor or not. The reason why I said you will have a helmet and look like beef jerky is because most who first start the game, that is the rout the typically choose. In most of my playthroughs i do now, I almost always have my face showing because I do want to see my character. When i first started, I wore armor that covered me up. In the end, its about the Fashion.

I'm not asking for the game to "Hold my hand" I'm asking if the game is exciting. As a spectator of some gameplay, it doesn't look that way, playing is another side of the experience. I just need to know if the game is fair or exciting, and I mean as in cool stuff happening, not that "feeling good about yourself cause you accomplished a challenge."
I would say the game is very exciting. The anticipation of the fighting the next boss, not knowing what they look like or how the perform attacks keeps new players on edge. In addition to that, there are several thrilling boss fights that players look forward to fighting because its a heart pounding battle. :D If you would like an example, look up the Artorias of the Abyss boss fight

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
A Way Out is where it's all at :'D Still, I feel like we're getting out of the drought that is january and february.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-