PS1/2 There's a disturbing lack of info on using 2TB drives with PS2.

ChiefReginod

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've searched high and low and still have no idea whether it's possible to transfer games to a PS2 formatted 2TB hard drive from PC.

Everyone recommends HDLBatch, but it says right in the app blurb that 2TB drives aren't compatible. I believe the confusion stems from the "up to 2TB" language in some of the PC-side apps, which is true, but apparently this doesn't include actual 2TB drives, just anything up to it.

MY SETUP:
Phat PS2
Modchip (unknown type)
FMCB memory card (FHDB isn't compatible with this setup, as far as I've read. Not a problem since FMCB loads a bit faster)
Gamester SATA adapter
2TB WD hard drive

I can successfully format the drive with the latest version of wLaunchelf. I can also create the +OPL partition and transfer files to it no problem. What are my options from here? Network transfer? Some other app?

I'm just about ready to give up, so any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

alt_Human

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, no idea about transferring from PC. I haven't followed the PS2 scene in nearly 15 years. I do want to state though, that the Gamester SATA adapter will most likely cause you a lot of problems. They are known to have a lot of incompatibility issues like freezing games, etc.

ChiefReginod

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, no idea about transferring from PC. I haven't followed the PS2 scene in nearly 15 years. I do want to state though, that the Gamester SATA adapter will most likely cause you a lot of problems. They are known to have a lot of incompatibility issues like freezing games, etc.
I know about the issues with this particular adapter. But other people with SATA-converted official PS2 network adapters with 2TB hard drives could use the info as well. This is something that will need to be figured out at some point.

alt_Human

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know about the issues with this particular adapter. But other people with SATA-converted official PS2 network adapters with 2TB hard drives could use the info as well. This is something that will need to be figured out at some point.

True the first portion, but I don't feel like it's something that needs to be figured out at any point. While it may be "cool" to have 200-300 PS2 games on a single drive, I very highly doubt half of them would ever be played by a person. That and emulators makes it a bit pointless. For me anyway. Of course we have different wants and needs. :)

Edit: I take part of that back. I have recently dug my Wii and WIi U out from the bottom boxes in storage just to mess around with newer developments since the last time I messed around with them & I didn't even plan on using them afterwards. Not playing half of the games on a 2 TB drive is irrelivant. Sometimes it's a lot of fun just seeing of you can get shit to work. Hope it works out for you. :)

Last edited by alt_Human,
Reactions: ChiefReginod

Snomannen_kalle

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
In the HDLBatch thread several people are using the tool with 2TB drives. They don't specify whether they fill it up though. If you're referring to this sentence from the old thread:
  • WINHIIP had been my go-to installer for a long time because of its speed. By connecting the PS2 HDD drive to a PC, one could batch install games very quickly (up to a limit of 255). However, it has a number of additional limitations: some games do not install properly, the partition naming scheme does not conform to specs outlined in the official SDK, it cannot handle 2TB drives, and as previously mentioned is limited to 255 games.
Then this is referencing winHIIP and not HDL Batch. Though it doesn't state what drives it supports in either of the threads, at least that I can see (I've never used this tool before myself, and even if I did, my PS2 only has a 450GB drive installed).

A similar tool was recently created that specifies 2TB drive support that you also could check out (GBAtemp thread here)

rantex92

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
i can vouch for hdlbatch it works with 2tb perfectly never had any issues tho i have only about 1,2tb in ps2 games all others are ps1 vcd games to transfer the ps1 games you can just use a usb without using any kind of program or tool but they have to be in vcd format to work (not bin/cue or iso)

ChiefReginod

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, guys. It turns out I was just being a brainlet. :lol:

HDLBatch works with the 2TB drive. I just didn't know that you have to put the PS2 ISOs in the same folder as the EXE and BAT files. If you don't have them in the same folder, HDLBatch will detect the drive but will just close when you select it.

Transfer speeds are fantastic. I'm just hoping it will be as smooth a process installing CD-based BIN/CUE images.

EDIT: I just confirmed that BIN/CUE CD images transfer fine, too. You just have to make sure they're all in the same folder as HDLBatch (ie, not in subfolders).

Last edited by ChiefReginod,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/ZQhiwti-pK0?si=LTqU_S8Xm2fYnlQg