The Wii U version of Smash Bros. will be playable with GameCube controllers

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So umm, Y-Cable? I'm gonna have to buy a hub first then.

What the hell are you plugging into your WiiU that you can't free up two of them?

yeah.. that was going through my head as well.
it would allow us to have analog shoulder buttons for gc games. wii u's shoulder buttons (on the pro controller and gamepad) are digital :I

Classic controller has analog shoulder buttons, too. No rumble, though. Of course neither did the Wavebird.

dario14

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It would be cool if GC games released on vc had hires textures. That might almost justify having to repurchase them since the WiiU drive can't read GC discs.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Wow, it must suck so hard to be as neagtive as some of you guys are :(
It's an addon to support a controller loved by loads of fans, from TWO generations back. It's 100% optional to buy, they'll add it as a "supported controller" and not a required one for any games.

What's the... problem?

Some of it seems to be pessimism, historically a fairly good position to take with Nintendo peripherals. Others seem to be curious as to why people are making declarations of unending love for it -- the work is probably a free week project for an electrical engineer (maybe less as they have all the specs and probably most of the tooling) plus the usual few months it takes to work up a project at in a company like this. Going back a bit when Sony did half similar things with PS2 backwards compatibility early on in the PS3 and got odd looks for it. Others were bemoaning the state of the affairs that has seen a game company screw up controller design so hard that they do still have to support 13 year old tech.
Others still were here to laugh at the farce that is smash brothers "competitive".

Personally I was mainly here to laugh at the truly amateurish video used to kick it all off.

None seem entirely unjustifiable.

Reactions: Gahars

Anakir

Project: Melee
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This thread is hilarious. First of all, using any wireless products from Nintendo for the Wii(U) has input lag. Regardless if you consider the SSB series a fighter or not (those that don't are just ignorant), anyone that wants to take any game seriously will not put up with input lag. Just ask any fighting-game community.

For those of you that don't know, Brawl has a random 0 - 4 frames of input lag depending on the controller that you use (whether it is the wiimote+nunchuck, ccpro, etc). So any debate between GC controller vs. any other controller is already a win for GC controllers. There's also the fact that GC's shoulder buttons are analog. Some games require a pressure-sensitive input in order to play. NO other Nintendo controller offers analog inputs (besides the control stick).

I would disagree with the layout of the GC controller though. The button designs always looked awkward to me (and it makes a difference since I play Melee competitively). The spatial relation between each button should be even; so should the button designs. The yellow cstick needs some sort of nub for extra grip because if the GC controller were to be used for any other game, it will not provide the same comfort. Lastly, there shouldn't be hexagons around the control stick and cstick; this hinders the maximum threshold that the controllers are capable of.

The GC adapter isn't for everyone (it was obviously directed to those that cannot part from the GC controller for various reasons); just like how the classic controller or classic controller pro isn't either. You do not need to purchase it. If anything, the adapter actually caused many people that play smash competitively to take the next iteration more seriously. I think this is a good thing for Nintendo since many players actually considered not purchasing Smash4. I know that I didn't wanna purchase Smash4 at all; but now, I have a bit of interest due to their direction.

In regards to the video, I like the selection of players that Nintendo chose. I've met many of them and they're great people. The rules are great too. It gives the viewers a diversity of characters to watch and attends the needs of both casual and competitive players. I'm actually quite excited for this (I'm surprised that I even said that).

Dunno about the US, but any EBgames i've ever gone into still sells gamecube controllers. Not official, but yeah. Not bad either.

Those are absolutely horrible controllers. They're fine if you use them casually but I've had the experience of using them and they're extremely stiff. They also break very easily.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just ask any fighting-game community [about matters of logic and technology].

*flashbacks*

*commences rocking in the corner*

Still
Smash bros as a fighter or not. In it the players use characters to fight therefore fighter it is. The issues seem to be when people try to make it competitive and there you need some semblance of balance (which kind of exists in stock though has never seemed to be a true focus), however the competitive "scene" fails on so many levels from competition design through to the house ruling out of characters (reasons mostly seeming to be "because many people use it therefore unbalanced").

Anakir

Project: Melee
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
*flashbacks*

*commences rocking in the corner*

Still
Smash bros as a fighter or not. In it the players use characters to fight therefore fighter it is. The issues seem to be when people try to make it competitive and there you need some semblance of balance (which kind of exists in stock though has never seemed to be a true focus), however the competitive "scene" fails on so many levels from competition design through to the house ruling out of characters (reasons mostly seeming to be "because many people use it therefore unbalanced").

I'm assuming that you're talking about Smash and not fighting games in general? The smash scene is split - melee and brawl (and then you also have project m) - so I'm not sure which one you're referring to. It's a common consensus that Melee did quite well in terms of balance although that was more of an accident. In fact, just look at Evo2k13 top 13 results. We had 11 different characters (or 14 different characters if you look at top 25 - and that's out of 700 entrants). Because of the nature of smash games where the player gets to modify how they want to play, it's hard to come to an agreement of a rule where it's fair for everyone. I believe what the Melee scene developed, in terms of the rules, demonstrates skills and diversity quite well - you have enough stocks for a good game of interaction between players and a wide variety of stages and characters to choose from to counter with. Even low-tier characters can be hard counters for some of the most-used, top-tier characters.

Brawl on the other hand, I have no idea what the scene is up to. I don't hate the game; but it's definitely not my cup of tea.

This is useless! You CAN already use GC controllers on wii U.

Actullay, I'm playing Melee on Wii U with Nintendont and GC controller with this:http://www.play-asia.com/gc-controller-adapter-for-pc-usb-paOS-13-49-fr-70-4sqd.html
and SSBB on Wii U with GC controller: http://www.mayflash.com/Products/NINTENDOWiiU/W007.html and I will use the same adaptor to play SSB4 with GC controller

That adapter has input lag and doesn't work at an ratio to the controller's inputs.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Much of the fighting game competitive scene is filled with cretins but that is a different matter entirely. Smash seems to be slightly less cretins but slightly more people that would do well to pick up a book on competition design, game theory and general logic and I am not entirely sure that is a net positive. I was thinking more the metaknight stuff where most would then have seen it as a fad* at best, however "no, overpowered" it was and then people kept trying to justify it. At some level it might be worth a sort of rules freezeout while people "develop"** counters if you are more concerned with spectacle, the closest I get there is motorsport and what usually happens is people that figure out how to get more from the same setup win more..... so actually basically the opposite.

*that might have been overly harsh, you speak of counters and yeah it just seemed people had not yet developed counters for things.

**I dislike the "but they are still coming up with new strategies therefore awesome" set even more.

Perhaps surprisingly though I have no problems with the people playing their lesser game/lesser characters in order to protect strategies for later/greater competitions, history has many such examples of things like that. If it was true that they actually planned to split a pot or something then I might have to raise an eyebrow, and possibly later a glass in appreciation -- finding out ways to abuse systems is something I can get behind and computer game types seem to lacking here/corruption is a sorely under-appreciated art form.

shadow1w2

Still here.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, didn't expect Nintendo to do this.
Should appease fans.
Though also the homebrew scene if it works in vWii mode xD

Would be nice to see VC gamecube games pop up that would use this.
Though I kinda would have liked to see a Gamecube style Pro controller, at the very least with some analog triggers.
I always loved the analog triggers with buttons inside as odd as they are. :3
Though that would be kinda dumb for tournament goers who have their trusty lucky Gamecube pads.

Still find it odd Nintendo would actually be that thoughtful about it.
So confusing one second they seem to be listening the next second they seem stuck in another universe.
Hopefully good sales will give the Wii U a comeback and Nintendo might take it seriously again.
F-zero GX port with online mode, or for all that is Falcon Punch we need that so bad.
Maybe its just me heh. Loved that game so much.

Edit: Also would be interesting if they sold a Smash Bros anthology pack.
All four games on a buncha discs for use on the Wii U.
Would be a smart move.
Also N64 controller adapter!... naaaah lol

AngryGeek416

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
If Nintendo doesn't produce Gamecube controllers again themselves you can expect prices to go up on Ebay and such...so get you're controllers now.

Jiehfeng

The One
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
what the hell do you have all that shit plugged in for?

Everything sounds essential, except for the capture card, which I use to capture awesome moments. :D
But all the other things are important,

HDD: Store big eshop games
HDMI2AV: HD signals converted to AV signals for my old TV

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Playing Mario 3D World with the NGC controller will be a joy (guessing it'll be compatible).

I can't wait for this to come out!

I suppose we can expect NGC VC for future eShop games.

Mariko

Trophies
XP
Country
Then you should get some proper Component cables. Or a tv that can properly scale the image.

Right. Watch me go and buy a new TV because yours is better. I own a separate upscaler, but I don't use it for the Wii, since I'm happy with my Wii U setup. GameCube support would only mean I that could put away the Wii and use Wii U for most of my Nintendo gaming.

I probably own all titles

Hey everyone, make room for Richie Rich and his collection of all games ever.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's a shame some people's cake always resort to the same taste