The Wii U version of Smash Bros. will be playable with GameCube controllers

D

Deleted User

I've never stopped using my Gamecube controllers. The sticks are responsive and don't slip. I love the button layout that more naturally conforms to your thumb and the focus of a main button. The analog triggers move smoothly with little applied force and, again, your fingers don't slip off. Gimme a Gamecube controller any day.
What? The analog triggers are spring loaded pressure sensitive junk, and the joysticks are slippery and are not precise, and the d-pad is horrid. And the buttons are clunky and require more force to push down. The classic controller pro is better in ever aspect bar weight, the one thing gamecube controllers do well is weight.

If I'm playing a fighting game (or any game for that matter), I want my buttons to be quick and precise.

Mariko

Trophies
XP
Country
Called it. Nintendo will show off Gamecube VC titles at E3.

I'd be really happy if they added simple backwards compatibility (I know they won't, though). The only reason I still have my Wii connected to the TV is the GC backwards compatibility. Ironically, I play Wii games on the Wii U (better video output), so I'd welcome a all-in-one solution with open arms. As for the adapters, I'll wait for the knock-offs to appear at half the price, or less.

CosmoCortney

i snack raw pasta and chew lollipops
Trophies
Website
follow-the-white-rabbit.wtf
XP
Country
Germany
Something tells me that the adapter will serve a later purpose for Gamecube VC titles. Imagine if they re-released SSBM.

yeah.. that was going through my head as well.
it would allow us to have analog shoulder buttons for gc games. wii u's shoulder buttons (on the pro controller and gamepad) are digital :I

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
I can buy a Wii U and use my existing two GC controllers to play on it? Awesome. Question is: How much will it cost me? Chances are it'll be priced stupidly. It's also possible Nintendo will do whatever check stops one of my 3rd party GC controllers from working in Wii games again (seriously I can't figure out why that would happen).

The WiiU Pro controller looks like it would be a mess to play with. I have no idea what possessed Nintendo to put both analogue sticks at the top of the controller when the 2nd analogue stick is barely used in most of their games.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone else think there's more to this than just using it for Super Smash? Methinks they're gonna reveal Gamecube VC games; surely, releasing a peripheral for one game is trivial.

Because Nintendo has never released peripherals that were barely used, right guys?

...Right guys?

Elliander

Trophies
Website
elliander.etherealspheres.com
XP
Country
United States
I actually liked the Classic Controller Pro, but I never really get a chance to use it. The first player in almost all of my games requires me to use that stupid game pad with the giant screen. Seriously, it can't be that difficult for Nintendo to create a menu option which would allow people to override the internal game requirements.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'd be really happy if they added simple backwards compatibility (I know they won't, though). The only reason I still have my Wii connected to the TV is the GC backwards compatibility. Ironically, I play Wii games on the Wii U (better video output), so I'd welcome a all-in-one solution with open arms. As for the adapters, I'll wait for the knock-offs to appear at half the price, or less.

Then you should get some proper Component cables.
Or a tv that can properly scale the image.
There should be no difference in picture quality.
As a mtter of fact I hate the WiiU's Upcaling, it's full of artifacting and "shimmer".
My tv upscales the good old Wii signal ( 480p ) perfectly to 1080p.

I actually liked the Classic Controller Pro, but I never really get a chance to use it. The first player in almost all of my games requires me to use that stupid game pad with the giant screen. Seriously, it can't be that difficult for Nintendo to create a menu option which would allow people to override the internal game requirements.

Do you own a lot of games?
I probably own all titles, and most of them support the Pro Controller.

yeah.. that was going through my head as well.
it would allow us to have analog shoulder buttons for gc games. wii u's shoulder buttons (on the pro controller and gamepad) are digital :I

Yup, Mario Sunshine, Waverace, FzeroGX, Need for speed etc.

Black-Ice

Founder of the Church of Renamon
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The black Wii pro controller is better.
B002TLTBN0.01.lg.jpg

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Enjoy playing SSB with a nunchuck. Gamecube controllers are the only way to play Smash.

WiiU Pro controller seems just fine for Smash

Actually this removes the (only?) reason why the WiiU doesn't have gamecube compatibility natively: the lack of original ports. Now if original GC games worked without the software restriction on the Wii U..

I think it could work just fine with WiiU Pro Controller.
If there is a reason for not having GC VC is because Nintendo still haven't managed to develop a GC emulator for WiiU.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I think it could work just fine with WiiU Pro Controller.
If there is a reason for not having GC VC is because Nintendo still haven't managed to develop a GC emulator for WiiU.
The hardware is mostly there already, but this is already off topic. But you get my point, GC games on the WiiU could be done and probably will be, too :)

pesaroso

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Wow, it must suck so hard to be as neagtive as some of you guys are :(
It's an addon to support a controller loved by loads of fans, from TWO generations back. It's 100% optional to buy, they'll add it as a "supported controller" and not a required one for any games.

What's the... problem?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Metoroid0 @ Metoroid0: im more interested in metroid prime 4