• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

The U.S. is more dangerously divided than any other wealthy democracy. Is there a way back from the brink? (Yascha Mounk)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you think those states should be allowed to prevent people from getting married? That is, after all, government intervention.
You must live a very privileged life to only care about marriage. There are people currently unable to make ends meet. They are having a hard time buying gas and food and here you are arguing about marriage.

If anybody wants to see why we are so divided, here is a prime example. People are suffering from inflation and Laina here is arguing about culture war crap.

LainaGabranth

Objectively the most infuriating woman ever
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You must live a very privileged life to only care about marriage. There are people currently unable to make ends meet. They are having a hard time buying gas and food and here you are arguing about marriage.

If anybody wants to see why we are so divided, here is a prime example. People are suffering from inflation and Laina here is arguing about culture war crap.
I'm not enough of a pseudo intellectual to care which fallacy it is but it is definitely fallacious to argue that because I ask you a question on one issue, it must mean I hold zero stances whatsoever on any other issue.

Like, hello?? You're talking to the girl who wants to eliminate currency in general. Inflation means nothing to me, because it's just a symptom of what I see as a greater plague on humanity.

MadonnaProject

Trophies
XP
Country
No, america is in its death throes. There will always be an america just not the country it once was.

Too many freedoms, too much entitlement, no propensity to learn or consider one's self wrong, too much mingling with lesser nations and embattled people from those nations.

One always wondered what would be the saturation point for a cultural melting pot. I guess we see it now. The UK is much the same. Just go to London. The cultural melting pot is spilling over.

Good riddance though.

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not enough of a pseudo intellectual to care which fallacy it is but it is definitely fallacious to argue that because I ask you a question on one issue, it must mean I hold zero stances whatsoever on any other issue.

Like, hello?? You're talking to the girl who wants to eliminate currency in general. Inflation means nothing to me, because it's just a symptom of what I see as a greater plague on humanity.
You must be super privileged if inflation means nothing to you, because the working poor and middle class are getting pounded right now. And they will vote accordingly come November.

LainaGabranth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You must be super privileged if inflation means nothing to you, because the working poor and middle class are getting pounded right now. And they will vote accordingly come November.
I would like you to demonstrate that I hold no opinion on inflation.

Here's a protip though: A statement not being made prior does not mean I hold no opinion on it.
Let's hear it, dingus.

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would like you to demonstrate that I hold no opinion on inflation.

Here's a protip though: A statement not being made prior does not mean I hold no opinion on it.
Let's hear it, dingus.
You just made the comment less than 2 hours ago and I quoted you verbatim. I can understand you not remembering something you said a month ago, but 2 hours ago? Really?

LainaGabranth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You just made the comment less than 2 hours ago and I quoted you verbatim. I can understand you not remembering something you said a month ago, but 2 hours ago? Really?
Well it's just kind of weird that, y'know, reading my post history, I've never once said inflation isn't an issue or that I hold no opinion on it conceptually. Why are you arguing against the Laina in your head?

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well it's just kind of weird that, y'know, reading my post history, I've never once said inflation isn't an issue or that I hold no opinion on it conceptually. Why are you arguing against the Laina in your head?
Once again, is this you? It sure seems like it's you. And it's from this thread only six comments above this one. What is wrong with you?
Laina.JPG

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I want you to read what comes after "me" in that sentence out loud and try telling us what you think it means ;)
Yet you defend who is purposefully causing this inflation which means you really don't care about humanity at all. The left only cares about control and power. Just because you see it a certain way does not mean it's not hurting people here in the real world. People who can't afford to buy gas or food don't care how you see inflation. You lack empathy.

LainaGabranth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yet you defend who is purposefully causing this inflation which means you really don't care about humanity at all. The left only cares about control and power. Just because you see it a certain way does not mean it's not hurting people here in the real world. People who can't afford to buy gas or food don't care how you see inflation. You lack empathy.
Sooooooooo, I noticed that wasn't explaining how I "don't care about inflation."

Reactions: Dakitten

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
You do know that there are alternatives from religious weddings, right?
Yes, now you've circled back to agreeing with me. All I said was "religion does not have to be a part of marriage, but many people choose to include it anyway."

Why spend all that money going after rich people when all they have to do is send one letter to a poor person and they'll relent instantly?
Because not all of them will relent instantly, and it takes a lot more resources to go after a million poor people than it does to go after one billionaire. And again, it's written into the bill that the IRS must start pursuing more wealthy tax dodgers. Failure to do so would provide solid grounds for a lawsuit, class action or otherwise.

A better question would be, why are the poor being taxed anyway? Eliminating income taxes for them would help them immensely.
Sure, that'd be great. We already have tax brackets for that reason, and so it would help a lot more if we mandated a much higher minimum wage and better working conditions, but nevertheless.

Reactions: LainaGabranth

mituzora

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The left only cares about control and power.
I think you're projecting there bud.

the practical left only cares about their rights not being infringed upon because of some old fucks who can't let go of the past and adapt to the ever changing world around them.

Federal rights protect shit that would otherwise, be removed at the state's discretion. and giving access to gay couples to legally get married is one of those rights. otherwise, they wouldn't be able to legally get married and get all of the benefits of being a married couple in many states.

also inb4 move away; moving is expensive, neigh impossible for many people, especially the people that would be affected by the repeal of federal amendments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Triple screen!!!