Hacking The status of Gateway and A9LH

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To everyone asking. Yes, you can run 11.0 sysNAND with Gateway and A9LH. You just can't update it, otherwise you'll brick.

With 4.0a, yes, because it has no firm protection. But has anyone tried it with 3.7.1? That should work I would think. Maybe once my wires arrive and I get this Aussie N3DS XL hard modded, I'll try it. Actually, I have a third O3SD XL here I was keeping for "home use" so it wouldn't get scratched that I can unbrick too (I just never bothered since I had picked up a Zelda unit a few months later, and also had two N3DS XLs after panicking and ordering an AUS one because I was afraid the US models would be on 9.3+, then quickly picking up a US one when I saw they were not, lol).

Last edited by Kazuma77,

Ryumaru

Creator of themes for 3DS
Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
@CreAtor135
Question 1: If I install A9LH and formated my synand my 3ds he will stop working ?
Question 2: If I install A9LH on Gateway will still be able to access the Synand ?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I think even after the Gateway provide the new CFW will not switch to A9LH mode. It has many complications.

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Easy Install using safeA9LHinstaller

This allows to have three stage 2 inside nand to load them
using button combinations while powering your console on!

This includes only stage 1/2 files and installer!

A hardwaremod is highly recommended - use at own RISK!

Toshiba worked, Samsung NAND problem should be gone!

Before installing this mod, please make a backup of your sysNAND!

You will need your very own private otp.bin and other files.

Details:
Code:
Stage 2                Button    Sector         Offset                            Path   File to load

payload_stage2.bin   = Default = Sector 5C000 = (5C000 * 200 hex) Offset B800000  \      arm9loaderhax.bin
payload_stage2_2.bin = X + Y   = Sector 5A000 = (5A000 * 200 hex) Offset B400000  \      launcher.dat
payload_stage2_3.bin = X + A   = Sector 5A100 = (5A100 * 200 hex) Offset B420000  \a9lh  arm9loaderhax.bin

1. Extract the rar file to your memorycard!
2. Copy the following files to A9LH folder: OTP.BIN (your own!) / firm0.bin / firm1.bin / secret_sector.bin
3. Either use your desired entry point to load Homebrew Launcher and start safeA9LH installer or update with included arm9loaderhax.bin
4. Press select to install/update a9lh

Already using a9lh? Use arm9loaderhax.bin to update!

Tested and works with my own new3DS XL, Columbo2811 tested his Samsung NAND (old3DS)!

Video from Columbo2811's old3DS booting CFW/GW: > CLICK <

Restoring NAND:

Either, use decrypt9/emunand9 and reinstall your backup nand.bin
or use unedited safea9lhinstaller to update the current installation.

Backing up your sysNAND will include all changes you did!

Known Bugs:

All the bugs inside launcher.dat and thats nothing to fix for me.

Example: launcher.dat doesn't detect region properly for nand.bin restore.

Button Combinations:

Want different combos? Please consider using bootctr9 or ctr boot manager!

You can freely change their configuration files and use it as default \arm9loaderhax.bin

I don't suggest to swap launcher.dat's stage 2 to boot by default,
but thats up to you. Currently i'm not taking requests.

Have Fun

I'm lost on how to change the keys -

I want this setup:

Default -> Gateway
Down -> Luma

I think I understand how to install this, however I don't understand how BootCTR9 will allow me to assign a different value?

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here are variations to Stage 1:

payload_stage1-1st-2nd.bin > 1st loads sector 5A000, 2nd sector 5A100

payload_stage2 = default

payload_stage2_2 = 5A000
payload_stage2_3 = 5A100

Take the stage 1 you desire to load it the way you want.

This file contains: A/B/X/Y/START and for non Luma3DS SELECT/START

Wow. I think that should satisfy everyone. Some might need to rename stage 2 payloads if they want a different default, but everyone should find something that works for them in that selection. You've really outdone yourself. I think this is more than worthy of it's own release thread. Thanks again.

Last edited by Kazuma77,
Reactions: satelman

Nirmonculus

Trophies
XP
Country
So I can follow Plailect's guide until Part 4 and then proceed with the installation with what liomajor provided?
Yeah, I think default boot with nl button presses to GW will be better for me and have Luma with B or X + Y.
:B

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I can follow Plailect's guide until Part 4 and then proceed with the installation with what liomajor provided?
Yeah, I think default boot with nl button presses to GW will be better for me and have Luma with B or X + Y.
:B

Actually, you can follow it through part 5, just use this in place of the Safe A9LH Installer files provided by the guide. And in your case, swap the names of Stage 2 and 2_2 (just don't forget to still copy over all 3). And if you still want a hotkey chain loader, setup BootCTR9 with a 3 or 4 second delay (3000 or 4000).

Last edited by Kazuma77,
Reactions: Nirmonculus

ElYubiYubi

GBATemp Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
I know Gateway were the first on the 3DS Scene. But who really buy Gateway at this point? Sky3DS is a totally different option tho.

IMO Gateway is dead

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know Gateway were the first on the 3DS Scene. But who really buy Gateway at this point? Sky3DS is a totally different option tho.

IMO Gateway is dead

There are uses for ROM emulation. That said, Sky is on their second card. And they'll probably be on their third by January of next year. And I'll probably buy it again anyway, because yes, overall, it's not that much money. I'm a tech and a gadget freak though. Those cards do cost an extra $20. You can't seriously expect casual flash cart users that have had their GW card for 2 or 3 years, which still offers better ROM selection and cheat options, to just go out and buy a $90 card that's likely to be dead by the end of the year (again). Especially if they don't perform downgrades and A9LH installs for others like I do (that's where being able to emulate exploitable carts and ones with specific FW versions really shines).

Last edited by Kazuma77,

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
nice liomajor, button combinations! thank you

why not both? the best of a9lh and the best of gw? that's the whole point of this thread
tumblr_lt9zainYwB1qglqe6.jpg

url

Last edited by Quantumcat,
Reactions: driverdis and Garro

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
There are uses for ROM emulation. That said, Sky is on their second card. And they'll probably be on their third by January of next year. And those cards do cost an extra $20. You can't seriously expect people that have had their GW card for 2.5 years, which still offers better ROM selection and cheat options, to just go out and buy a $90 card that's likely to be dead by the end of the year (again).
I highly doubt the Sky3DS will have a new revision. The main problem with the original was that its firmare couldn't be updated, which isn't the case on the Sky3DS+.

ElYubiYubi

GBATemp Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
There are uses for ROM emulation. That said, Sky is on their second card. And they'll probably be on their third by January of next year. And those cards do cost an extra $20. You can't seriously expect people that have had their GW card for 2.5 years, which still offers better ROM selection and cheat options, to just go out and buy a $90 card that's likely to be dead by the end of the year (again).
I didnt say that cuz Sky3DS vs Gateway3DS thing but cuz all the CFW and hax we have now for Free which make Gateway useless now. On the other hand we have Sky3DS which works completely different.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I didnt say that cuz Sky3DS vs Gateway3DS thing but cuz all the CFW and hax we have now for Free which make Gateway useless now. On the other hand we have Sky3DS which works completely different.
Free CFW still cannot load .3ds games or cheat easily. These are the advantages of still using your Gateway and not throwing it in the bin.

Kazuma77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Gateway's CFW has only ever been a bonus. The main feature is running ROMs and utilizing the extra storage of the card slot. As a flash cart, it remains viable, even if it's CFW is no longer leading the other CFWs around by the nose like it was a year ago. We have boot managers making it possible to run multiple things. There's no need to choose just one. You're running Luma, that's great, so am I (and Cakes, ReiNAND, SaltFW, Salt Lite, and Mizuki 1.1 for that matter, missed 1.2 before it was taken down -- I've figured out you can chain multiple copies of CBM9 to create pseudo menus, so even if Retroarch wants to go A9LH payload, more power to it ;) ). If I can add GW, why not?

Last edited by Kazuma77,

Nirmonculus

Trophies
XP
Country

You wouldn't understand because you don't have one. The convenience it provides and extra features are too hard to give up on. We've had these conversations with other people in the past pages but since you didn't bother to read through and just toss what you have in your mind, you are just polluting this thread. The point is we all have our Gateways already for 2 to 3 years and we are not giving up on it no matter how many idiots post their opinions in this thread.

That goes to everyone who would say the same.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1