Hacking The status of Gateway and A9LH

CreAtor135

GBATemp's #1 Nothing
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So uh.. decent news? Gateway has released a public Private Beta of their 4.0 build! This is the second round, and everyone can test! (Although I wouldn't advise that you try this before we know more about the beta in question.) According to the Gateway Team,
GATEWAY 4.0 BETA CHANGELOG (20160601)
  • Time Machine compatibility and stability fixes
  • GATEWAY Menu compatibility and stability fixes
  • Rename ‘Nintendo 3DS’ folder to 3DS_BAK (N3DS)
  • Add warning/nag screen when A9LH user tries to boot into sysNAND (to prevent accidentical sysNAND updates)
  • Time Machine won’t allow 9.x to 2.x downgrade on O3DS (Must upgrade to 10.x first, then go down to 2.x)
  • OTP.bin is now detected when entering A9LH install and offers a way to re-install A9LH (without the nand restore step)
  • Forced restore of emuNAND for N3DS and sysNAND for O3DS+N3DS prior to A9 install finalization.

Some things to clear up:
-3DS CAN be powered on without GW Card, but it boots the GW menu.
-If you're experiencing a black screen using Luma's chainloader, you'll have to reformat with emuNAND9 using the Format SD (no emuNAND) option.
-Gateway's implementation does NOT exactly lock you to their cart. Every tool you have access to from the Gateway menu is free and accessible to all with or without a cart.

What we know/can assume:
-Updating sysNAND after GW A9LH will either brick the 3DS, or remove A9LH from the system.
-It's possible to have 11.0 on Gateway sysNAND while still maintaining A9LH, it requires you flash an 11.0 NAND.bin during the A9LH install process, or updating to 11.0 sysNAND with a different CFW that supports FIRM protection.
-The downgrader is extremely unstable, but it's possible the GW Team has stabilized it. (we won't know until testers confirm.)
-A reddit user has confirmed that they were able to install A9LH using only Gateway's tools on their N3DS, so i guess they're doing something right for once :)
-No GBA support, although someone states that they can run GBA in sysNAND.
-DS Games and Flashcards may or may not work in emuNAND, there are mixed reports of this.
-N3DS users on 8.1J now have a solution for their consoles, they can use Gateway in sysNAND mode on 4.0a/b to update to a full 9.2 build with profi200's sysUpdater
-n3DS can't upgrade to 10.3 while o3DS can.
-o3DS will be upgraded to 10.3 before downgrading to 2.1 for OTP.bin, due to an error with direct downgrading from 9.2.

So far, not much is known about this new beta aside from what the GW team has told us. If you can test, please report your tests so I can update this thread with any new information that rolls by!

-The Gateway Team has released an arm9loaderhax.bin file on their website. It is confirmed to be working with current A9 payloads.

There's an ok chance that Gateway will fix their problems, as this is a beta test however,
it is much too early to make any final judgments about this whole release.

Please inform me of what I'm missing. Will update post. (pls no memes b0ss)

P.S. No one cares about what you like/dislike, what you think is worth it or not, or even why you want to use one CFW over the other. This thread has one purpose, and that's to document the status of GW's A9LH implementation as well as help those who are going through with it. I asked for a civil thread, so please don't bring your CFW vs. GW replies here.

Last edited by CreAtor135,

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
I'll stay out of this for now, but

-There's a good chance that Gateway will fix their problems, as this is a beta test.
-It is much to early to make any final judgments about this whole release.

are both entirely subjective and shouldn't be in the OP. You have no way of knowing either.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I really hope they see this thread and the other thread. I made my grumps there, but really do hope that with another delay, they can actually fix the problems with their cart.
I know another delay would suck, but at this point, it's for the best.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lDRjqI-fBVI&pp=ygUPVml0Z2luIG1hZ2ljaWFu