• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

The situation in Ukraine...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
That's another site which regularly lies, so I'm not putting my trust or stock in them either.
Is there any site that doesn't regularly lie?
I mean, I don't trust any particular news site anymore, I weave something I hope may be close to a "reality" by reading multiple sources, knowing their biases, and trying to find what a "reality" may look like as a center point from all these different narratives while trying to compensate for the bias I expect each of those narratives have.

I don't think you may disagree with this, but I just wanted to say all sources have a certain bias, full trust into any source is not possible for me. That is the current state of journalism. Best thing to do IMHO is to read many sources, opposing sources, even sources you completely disagree with as to also compensate for your own internal bias, and try to find what is likely true in between.

PS: but for this a lack of censorship is needed, something that in the west was certainly the case until not so long ago... but the west has disappointed me in this effect in the last months or so; censorship is bad, how can you talk about democracy if you underestimate the people, how can you say some elite is above people and can decide for them what they can read, if you don't let people exercise their own reading comprehension and analytic capabilities then you really are not letting people to decide for themselves, and that is not a democracy.

PS2: and just in case it is not clear, and to get even more people annoyed with me: I am not defending the style of Russia or China, e.g., I believe the way they handle information is garbage, is dictatorial, full censorship bullshit that is not compatible with democracy, but that is not new... anyway the west goes more and more in this same direction every day, closer to that style, full 1984.

Last edited by sarkwalvein,

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
how can you talk about democracy if you underestimate the people, how can you say some elite is above people and can decide for them what they can read, if you don't let people exercise their own reading comprehension and analytic capabilities then you really are not letting people to decide for themselves, and that is not a democracy.
For the same reason we don't legalize crack cocaine but allow alcohol.

There are certain ways to frame things that will always brainwash people who are susceptible. In the time between WW2 and Trump we had decided not to indulge in such practices, since then it's gone to shit.

Of course some people felt that first rush of Trump and then just wanted more and more, in the same way drug addicts keep chasing that greater high. Blaming foreigners for your problems is as satisfying to Trump supporters as drug addicts first ever hit.

And I don't think you need to be an elite to say it's wrong to vilify Mike Pence so much that a crowd march up to his place of work and threaten to hang him. https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/nov/12/trump-capitol-attack-rioters-mike-pence

Society has a responsibility to protect people from harm. Otherwise why de we even have laws?

Last edited by smf,

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Society has a responsibility to protect people from harm. Otherwise why de we even have laws?
Then who is society but people itself, how does society decide what society shouldn't read without reading it? Or is this "society" a selected elite from the people? Are people then not society? Where is the demos in democracy? Who is then deciding what should be thought and what should be done and how society should move forward in this "demo"cracy?

PS: and in the end how is this any different to what China or Russia do, aren't they "protecting" people form "reading" or "communicating" "false" information too? In their own way? /s

JoeBloggs777

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

The story of an elite Russian unit's war in Ukraine - BBC Newsnight

considered the best of the best, it's not looking good for them, 100+ dead ?

UnderJinx

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
Ukrainan drone targeting is pretty smart now they dont waste any ammo
unlike the Russians that bombs in blind

BitMasterPlus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GDP predicted to shrink 10%-15% this year:O
Of who? Russia? You just made a sentence fragment so it's hard to understand exactly if that's what you mean.

Lies, is this really from the Constitution of the Russian Federation ? , freedoms of ideas and speech, censorship shall be banned, cant be , not from the lies Putin tells :O

http://www.constitution.ru/en/10003000-03.htm
Again, this seems like another fragmented response to my post and I'm confused as to what to make of it, how to interpret it. Apologies, but can you be more clear?

Is there any site that doesn't regularly lie?
I mean, I don't trust any particular news site anymore, I weave something I hope may be close to a "reality" by reading multiple sources, knowing their biases, and trying to find what a "reality" may look like as a center point from all these different narratives while trying to compensate for the bias I expect each of those narratives have.

I don't think you may disagree with this, but I just wanted to say all sources have a certain bias, full trust into any source is not possible for me. That is the current state of journalism. Best thing to do IMHO is to read many sources, opposing sources, even sources you completely disagree with as to also compensate for your own internal bias, and try to find what is likely true in between.

PS: but for this a lack of censorship is needed, something that in the west was certainly the case until not so long ago... but the west has disappointed me in this effect in the last months or so; censorship is bad, how can you talk about democracy if you underestimate the people, how can you say some elite is above people and can decide for them what they can read, if you don't let people exercise their own reading comprehension and analytic capabilities then you really are not letting people to decide for themselves, and that is not a democracy.

PS2: and just in case it is not clear, and to get even more people annoyed with me: I am not defending the style of Russia or China, e.g., I believe the way they handle information is garbage, is dictatorial, full censorship bullshit that is not compatible with democracy, but that is not new... anyway the west goes more and more in this same direction every day, closer to that style, full 1984.
Well, you are right on that. Most places do have bias, but a lot of those places let their bias get in the way of the facts and they either make up or omit details to fit their narrative. You can never really be unbiased as some claim, as people will always have a little bias to a topic one way or another, but you can still be biased and tell the truth and share the facts. If you have an opinion on a certain matter, then tell it after you report what's actually happening instead of twisting it to fit a narrative.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
OMG that was a good one
For more war protesters
Im almost regretting i wrote that
I was referring to their actual housing, which has been rather prison-like in its drab grey uniformity ever since the USSR was still around. I shouldn't make light of it, but at some point it does start to feel like anybody choosing to stay in Russia must have Stockholm syndrome to some degree.

Reactions: UnderJinx

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I was referring to their actual housing, which has been rather prison-like in its drab grey uniformity ever since the USSR was still around. I shouldn't make light of it, but at some point it does start to feel like anybody choosing to stay in Russia must have Stockholm syndrome to some degree.
I dunno about in the US, but the UK is full of such drab housing for lower income people.

Reactions: Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I dunno about in the US, but the UK is full of such drab housing for lower income people.
Oh we have large low-income apartment complexes in the US, but they aren't nearly as bad as the Russian buildings I'm referring to. They've typically got at least some color to them, even if the paint is peeling, and some character to them. So much Russian architecture looks like it's constructed solely from iron and concrete.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Then who is society but people itself, how does society decide what society shouldn't read without reading it? Or is this "society" a selected elite from the people? Are people then not society? Where is the demos in democracy? Who is then deciding what should be thought and what should be done and how society should move forward in this "demo"cracy?

PS: and in the end how is this any different to what China or Russia do, aren't they "protecting" people form "reading" or "communicating" "false" information too? In their own way? /s
I find your argument disingenuous at best, do you really not understand?

Davycrockof

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

UnderJinx

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
Sometime i hope France will launce a nuclear attack on putin and his henchmen
in their bunker before they can respond. The closer to the scource the faster the impact
But maybe it will come to that

• Haha
Reactions: Davycrockof

UnderJinx

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
If Usa shoul decide to attack russia with nuclear bombs
putin will have time to wipe out the most of the planet but the closer the less time he have to respond

UnderJinx

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
They can carpet bomb the country and be done with this whole conflict but there out there shooting people on sight? Maybe because all the men are forced to stay and are armed?
More because they are cowards that are shooting and raping innocent people
And most of all because of their withdrawal from the kyiv region and because they have to live in shame because of it.

Last edited by UnderJinx,

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I find your argument disingenuous at best, do you really not understand?
No, I don't understand. Please explain.

PS: Just in case this reply could be misunderstood I write this PS; I really don't understand why do you find the argument disingenuous, and I ask you to please explain to me why do you think it is, if that' fine with you, because there is no intent for the argument to be disingenuous at all, it is a trend in behavior (regarding censorship) that I believe I am seeing in western society that is sincerely worrying me... I believe this behavior is similar to what I have seen in China and Russia for decades and that worries me, I don't like that.

Last edited by sarkwalvein,
Reactions: tabzer
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: They'll see hey cod is on Gamepass and go that route