• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

The situation in Ukraine...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
As we speak, thousands of Russian military units are deployed near the Ukraine borders. According to Putin, everything's fine and there's nothing to worry about.

But everyone else seems to do exactly that. Ukraine 's political leaders (at least the president and Kiev' s major) ask the international insurances for help, Biden's issuising warnings of sanctions should it come to an invasion and the EU is asking their citizens to at least avoid going to the region. Belgium's sort of pulling out personnel.

It started rather recently (unless we're talking about the crimea, but that's a different discussion), but I'm now starting to worry about an escalation or even a war.

What's your take on this?

Donnie-Burger

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
As we speak, thousands of Russian military units are deployed near the Ukraine borders. According to Putin, everything's fine and there's nothing to worry about.

But everyone else seems to do exactly that. Ukraine 's political leaders (at least the president and Kiev' s major) ask the international insurances for help, Biden's issuising warnings of sanctions should it come to an invasion and the EU is asking their citizens to at least avoid going to the region. Belgium's sort of pulling out personnel.

It started rather recently (unless we're talking about the crimea, but that's a different discussion), but I'm now starting to worry about an escalation or even a war.

What's your take on this?
Looks like Soros cant hide behind the kassarian Mafia anymore. Trump N Putin comin for dat azz. Time to witness the dissmantling of the U.N.

Putin:
To forgive the Terrorists is up to God
But to send them to him is up to me

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Pretty fucked up. Putin's claiming that Russia's aggression is all about Ukraine potentially joining NATO, but they've signaled no real interest in that, least of all when this nutless sack of shit is amassing troops and weapons on their borders. So it's just an excuse. The truth is Putin is yet another pathetic boomer who wants to return to the way things used to be, before the collapse of the USSR.

Looks like Soros cant hide behind the kassarian Mafia anymore. Trump N Putin comin for dat azz. Time to witness the dissmantling of the U.N.

Putin:
To forgive the Terrorists is up to God
But to send them to him is up to me
This is your brain on paint chips. Don't eat paint chips, kids.

Last edited by Xzi,

rantex92

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
meanwhile in moscow .... " ukranian fever has gotten struck him down ukranian fever is spreading all around with the ak in my hand im going to stake out some motherlands land "

• Haha
Reactions: DarknessPlay3r

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Last edited by subcon959,
Reactions: KiiWii

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It does feel like the media is drumming things up for ratings, which doesn't surprise me.

But at the same time, when your neighboring country starts amassing over 100,000 troops on your border, training in tanks, I'd start freaking out too.

If Russia does invade, Ukraine is fucked.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
The whole "war is imminent" narrative is so familiar. I don't see any probable outcome where Putin actually invades. He's playing chess (maybe Kasparov is advising him).

This is an interesting perspective https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/feb/14/the-west-invasion-ukraine-putin-russia
This would be more believable if anybody could actually tell us what he thinks he's going to get out of it. There's nothing to be gained by bluffing in this situation, it has already cost Russia millions, if not hundreds of millions of dollars to amass their forces and resources on the border.

Dr_Faustus

Resident Robot Hoarder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I feel like this is half media overhype and half Putin doing his typical getting a rise out of others through flexing his force shit that he does. If you noticed anything about him he never typically acts within any reach of actually starting shit, but he likes to instigate shit to the point that he hopes someone will throw the first punch, giving him justification to go all out. Its a country to country equivalent of that annoying kid that puts his finger close to your face going "Im not touching you!" over and over again until someone smacks his hand away and they get pissed off enough to start fighting because "they were not the ones who started it". Right now we are just seeing that but with no one (hopefully) feeding into Putin's desire of making the first move which will give him the justification to retaliate.

I would say this is Cold War Pt.2, but honestly if nothing comes from this chances are in a week or two we will forget all about it as the media will and instead we will be back on focusing on something else stupid on the news. The chances of an actual war coming out of this is slim, as Putin just loves to flex and troll to the point that every country is aware of it now.

Blavla

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Pretty fucked up. Putin's claiming that Russia's aggression is all about Ukraine potentially joining NATO, but they've signaled no real interest in that, least of all when this nutless sack of shit is amassing troops and weapons on their borders. So it's just an excuse. The truth is Putin is yet another pathetic boomer who wants to return to the way things used to be, before the collapse of the USSR.

This is your brain on paint chips. Don't eat paint chips, kids.
Ukraine want´s to join the whole time.

djpannda

GBAtemp's Pannda
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nato is a piece of crap. They are responsible for the whole situation. Now there will be no more Ukraine because of nato. Putin is right .
No I am not Russian
YES!!! Who the F#$K Ukraine think they are...... trying to join NATO like an Independence Sovereign Country.
Putin wil not stand for Ukraine.. I mean...... Russia Jr .....joining anyone other then the reabsorption of USSSR

Blavla

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
YES!!! Who the F#$K Ukranine think they are trying to join NATO like an Independence Sovereign Country.
Putin wil not say for Ukranine.. I mean Russia Jr joining anyone other then the reabsorption of USSSR
That deal made Nato with Russia. No more countries around Russia will be able to join Nato. And now they want to break the deal? Russia will wipe the Ukraine and nobody cares

djpannda

GBAtemp's Pannda
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That deal made Nato with Russia. No more countries around Russia will be able to join Nato. And now they want to break the deal? Russia will wipe the Ukraine and nobody cares
lol ok ... wait was that before or after Russia invaded and is occuping Crimea? I would think that would be a "deal " breaker
but in all seriousness can you provide info on the "Deal"
because no-one can actually produce this so call " deal"
https://www.nato.int/cps/en/natohq/115204.htm

Myth 1: NATO promised Russia it would not expand after the Cold War​

Fact: Such an agreement was never made. NATO’s door has been open to new members since it was founded in 1949 – and that has never changed. This “Open Door Policy” is enshrined in Article 10 of NATO’s founding treaty, which says “any other European State in a position to further the principles of this Treaty and to contribute to the security of the North Atlantic” can apply for membership. Decisions on membership are taken by consensus among all Allies. No treaty signed by the United States, Europe and Russia included provisions on NATO membership.

The idea of NATO expansion beyond a united Germany was not on the agenda in 1989, particularly as the Warsaw Pact still existed. This was confirmed by Mikhail Gorbachev in an interview in 2014: "The topic of 'NATO expansion' was not discussed at all, and it wasn't brought up in those years. I say this with full responsibility. Not a single Eastern European country raised the issue, not even after the Warsaw Pact ceased to exist in 1991. Western leaders didn't bring it up, either."

Declassified White House transcripts also reveal that, in 1997, Bill Clinton consistently refused Boris Yeltsin's offer of a 'gentlemen's agreement' that no former Soviet Republics would enter NATO: "I can't make commitments on behalf of NATO, and I'm not going to be in the position myself of vetoing NATO expansion with respect to any country, much less letting you or anyone else do so…NATO operates by consensus."

Myth 3: Ukraine cannot join NATO

Fact: NATO Allies welcome Ukraine’s aspirations to join NATO and they stand by the decision made at the 2008 Bucharest Summit that Ukraine will become a member of the Alliance.

Decisions regarding NATO membership are up to each individual applicant and the 30 NATO Allies. No one else. Russia has no right to intervene and cannot veto this process.

Like every country, Ukraine has the sovereign right to choose its own security arrangements. This is a fundamental principle of European security, one that Russia has also signed up to, including through the Helsinki Final Act (1975), the Charter of Paris (1990), the NATO-Russia Founding Act (1997) and the Charter for European Security (1999).

BitMasterPlus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That damn warmonger Trump is at it again, escalating and dragging us into another useless war after the whole Afghanistan debacle he did. He's the one in office right now, right? Not somebody else?

djpannda

GBAtemp's Pannda
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That damn warmonger Trump is at it again, escalating and dragging us into another useless war after the whole Afghanistan debacle he did. He's the one in office right now, right? Not somebody else?
you miss spelled Putin but hey. after the last 5 year its easy to get them (Putin/trump) confused

djpannda

GBAtemp's Pannda
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh yeah, because it was Putin who made us pull out of Afghanistan in the most disgraceful way possible. How did I forget?
Love how 1 picture complete destroys your point
1644941768447.jpeg

anyway .. this Thread is about the Ukraine Situation .. not the Copefest of the last couple of Closed Threads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol