Gaming The real truth behind EA and others hating the Wii U....

AbyssalMonkey

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The Xbox One doesn't offer anything new, does it? What of the PS4? That doesn't offer anything new. An opinion doesn't or shouldn't be passed off as factual. If Nintendo went out of the console business, there would be just Sony and Microsoft but the competition wouldn't be that great, that's not how it works.

I was pointing at the fact that Nintendo released a console with pretty much no support. Sure the PS4 and XB1 don't have anything new either, but they still have 3rd party support, which does in fact sell systems. Also, as of now the competition isn't great either, the only thing Nintendo managed to do is cause both systems to develop crappy motion controls which barely any games use anyway. The Wii sold because it had the motion controls and managed to put the focus on something new and innovative, something the Wii U doesn't have.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was pointing at the fact that Nintendo released a console with pretty much no support. Sure the PS4 and XB1 don't have anything new either, but they still have 3rd party support, which does in fact sell systems. Also, as of now the competition isn't great either, the only thing Nintendo managed to do is cause both systems to develop crappy motion controls which barely any games use anyway. The Wii sold because it had the motion controls and managed to put the focus on something new and innovative, something the Wii U doesn't have.

The PS4 and Xbox One don't have anything innovative either. And to blindly assume that the Wii U is doomed to never have third party support from here to the next console cycle is foolish. It's also foolish to assume that the Wii U is less innovative than the Xbox One or PS4; there is nothing that they innovate that the Wii U can't. The Kinect? How is that innovative? Blu-ray playback? Why spend $400 on a Blu-ray player when you can get one that for $100?

I hope you don't use that as an advantage over the Wii U. At least the Wii U can play used games, doesn't require online activation, has a camera spying on you, free online and backwards compatible.

Your move.

AbyssalMonkey

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Where did I claim the XB1 and the PS4 were innovative? I didn't. I said what sold the Wii was that it was innovative, and what will sell the XB1 and PS4 is the 3rd and first party support. As of now and until 2014, the Wii U still has neither. Most households will not buy 2 consoles this holiday season, and as a result of what I just said, the Wii U is currently the weakest looking, and therefore will most likely not be picked up over the other two systems which are almost guaranteed to have good games upon launch.

P

pasc

I find that rather weird actually.

I got my Wii U and love it so far.

So much more polished than the Wii.

Heck the first day I watched YouTube Videos on it all day long. Awesome.

About the devs: EA... meh, I don't care what they do. They always do what pleases (their pockets) and them the most.

As long as Capcom, Konami etc. are onboard I'm fine.

t3nk3n

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If look into Nintendo pass track records, they are one of the few companies in the gaming industry that is willing take a lot risky and innovative ideas to change the way gaming is played. When someone say Nintendo doesn't have enough third party support, there could a reason behind it just look quality of 1st/2nd party games most of them are very polished. It's not necessary for Nintendo put DRM to stop used games because they know their games tend retain value most of the time and used games will help make future sales.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Where did I claim the XB1 and the PS4 were innovative? I didn't. I said what sold the Wii was that it was innovative, and what will sell the XB1 and PS4 is the 3rd and first party support. As of now and until 2014, the Wii U still has neither. Most households will not buy 2 consoles this holiday season, and as a result of what I just said, the Wii U is currently the weakest looking, and therefore will most likely not be picked up over the other two systems which are almost guaranteed to have good games upon launch.

Uh, Nintendo has third party support for this year. Also, have you been reading anything on the internet? Nobody wants the Xbox One. Everybody sees passed it's bullshit and is going for either WiiU or PS4 or both. And also, PS3 had absolutely no third party support or any decent games at launch. It took a while. Hell there's a bunch of top 10 lists where some of the best games for the system, was the blu-ray movies. But look what happened it turned around.

You should really look up facts before you just say "Oh pft, weak hardware. No gimmick. Won't sell."

Reactions: Ray Lewis

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Its just my opinion, relax. Wii U offers nothing new, and they were selling it at a loss. It was in my opinion a bad idea for them to release it as it was with no first or third party support to even sell it, and now the PS4 and X1 are coming out so they will sell even less consoles than they would have. The only market that they don't have any major competition for the same style of games is the handheld. The 3DS focuses on "real" games (for lack of a better term), while smart phones, the 3DS's largest competitor, mostly focus on casual games. Also, how can an opinion be wrong? Its not like I'm stating it as a fact that Nintendo would make more money as a 3rd party dev, I'm just saying that I think that it would be better business if they did.
Okay...

* they offer a second screen on console. An ability that is already being copied by PS4 (ability to connect the vita with it) and one (smartglass).
* at the time they launched, the PS4 and one weren't revealed or even announced. It's only after that that some third parties (EA) dropped out. And it always had first party support. They just can't release quality titles as fast as all the third parties combined can.
* I honestly don't think the releases of those consoles will impact the sales of the wiiu. Unfortunately enough, I might add...because it'll be because the games will be different.
* true...opinions can't be wrong. They can be ignorant, though. If a company makes profits for decades and then has a loss for the very first time, it's a bit early to say they should just abandon their business. Come back in five or ten years (assuming they STILL make losses then) and then we'll talk. In the mean time: don't pretend you know better than them. Those sorts of decisions depend on financial information...not on your personal preferences.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
* I honestly don't think the releases of those consoles will impact the sales of the wiiu.
Wii U sales skyrocketed after the announcement of the X1. I think it will continue to be good. I imagine a lot of people didn't want to upgrade to the next generation until they saw all three consoles in action.

Right now the Wii U is the cheapest (albeit not by much), is the only one to support all TV's, is the only one with backwards compatibility, and is the only one to have no DRM. It certainly falls short in areas such as support, but it's not like there is no benefit to having a Wii U over a PS4/X1.

AbyssalMonkey

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Okay...

* they offer a second screen on console. An ability that is already being copied by PS4 (ability to connect the vita with it) and one (smartglass).
* at the time they launched, the PS4 and one weren't revealed or even announced. It's only after that that some third parties (EA) dropped out. And it always had first party support. They just can't release quality titles as fast as all the third parties combined can.
* I honestly don't think the releases of those consoles will impact the sales of the wiiu. Unfortunately enough, I might add...because it'll be because the games will be different.
* true...opinions can't be wrong. They can be ignorant, though. If a company makes profits for decades and then has a loss for the very first time, it's a bit early to say they should just abandon their business. Come back in five or ten years (assuming they STILL make losses then) and then we'll talk. In the mean time: don't pretend you know better than them. Those sorts of decisions depend on financial information...not on your personal preferences.

* You mean an idea Microsoft had before Wii U called smartglass? Yeah, Nintendo definitely pushed that.
* It doesn't matter when they launched or if they were announced, what matters is NOW. Nintendo wasted their year ahead by releasing pretty much nothing.
* Families/Houses will probably only buy 1 console this holiday season, and I hate to say it, but XB1 and PS4 are guarunteed to have games and a lot more of them than the Wii U. All the average person wants is to play games, and XB1 and PS4 offer that currently, Wii U doesn't.
*I think Nintendo would sell a whole lot more games on the PS4/XB1 and even with the licensing fees they would make more of a profit. But that's just me, if you want to do the complicated math and marketing algorithms to prove me wrong, feel free. I'll change my opinion when solid evidence suggests otherwise.

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
* Families/Houses will probably only buy 1 console this holiday season, and I hate to say it, but XB1 and PS4 are guarunteed to have games and a lot more of them than the Wii U. All the average person wants is to play games, and XB1 and PS4 offer that currently, Wii U doesn't..
Not for awhile. There is a very short list of titles that will actually be available at launch, and the others come out in 2014 at the same times as all of Nintendo's new games.

My count shows 13 launch titles each for the X1/PS4, and over 30 titles (I lost track when I scrolled, but I think it was 33-34) for the Wii U. More Wii U games will be available by the X1/PS4 launch too.

Tigran

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why is it okay for everyone to want Nintendo Exclusives on everything in the mother trucking world.... But heaven forbid Nintendo gets an exclusive *Hey there Boynetta fans!*

Or hell... People say KH 3 -should- be on the PS4... But why? Nintendo has had as many KH games as Sony has...

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wii U sales skyrocketed after the announcement of the X1. I think it will continue to be good. I imagine a lot of people didn't want to upgrade to the next generation until they saw all three consoles in action.

Right now the Wii U is the cheapest (albeit not by much), is the only one to support all TV's, is the only one with backwards compatibility, and is the only one to have no DRM. It certainly falls short in areas such as support, but it's not like there is no benefit to having a Wii U over a PS4/X1.

...PS4 has no DRM.

AbyssalMonkey

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Not for awhile. There is a very short list of titles that will actually be available at launch, and the others come out in 2014 at the same times as all of Nintendo's new games.

My count shows 13 launch titles each for the X1/PS4, and over 30 titles (I lost track when I scrolled, but I think it was 33-34) for the Wii U. More Wii U games will be available by the X1/PS4 launch too.

While true, most of these games aren't heavily advertised like the ones on PS4/XB1 so most people will not know about them. When was the last time you heard of a heavily advertised Wii game? Most of the advertising I see on TV is for PS3/360 games. Reason stands that the same will be true for Wii U.

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Online passes. That's it. It's not really that constricting, and the only ones that actually enable this, is E..oh yeah, now they don't. I don't think Ubisoft does either.
Regardless, the fact that Nintendo won't ever allow it on their console is something that should be kept in mind.

Besides, it's not necessarily just online passes. Developers can do whatever they want to restrict access on the PS4, it's just not built into the console.

Excelsiior

Trophies
Website
www.nanolx.org
XP
Country
Germany
Why worry about Ubisoft? They are NOT abandoning Wii U, they just put efforts down for the moment, as hardware does not sell as expected (well, actually after xbones pr it raised 6% the first weeks and in first week of june it again raised 8% worldwide). They have Just Dance 2014, Watch Dogs, AC IV, Rayman Legends ... coming for Wii U, Rabbids Land, The Cave, AC III and more already released. Well, actually Ubisoft is Wii U's #1 3rd-party. Now they just take a break and people go nuts. Once 1st-party games increase the sales (more) Ubisoft will re-increase their Wii U-efforts that's just "financial marketing" for the investors.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium

I know (although I admit I forgot about that when writing that post). But I think this'll be a temporary surge. At the moment, microsoft is being the scapegoat, but I doubt it'll stay that way. Either things won't turn out to be as bad as the fanboys/sony make it out to be, or MS changes some policies they currently have. In any case, I doubt they're just going to sit back when their console isn't selling for shit.

* You mean an idea Microsoft had before Wii U called smartglass? Yeah, Nintendo definitely pushed that.
* It doesn't matter when they launched or if they were announced, what matters is NOW. Nintendo wasted their year ahead by releasing pretty much nothing.
* Families/Houses will probably only buy 1 console this holiday season, and I hate to say it, but XB1 and PS4 are guarunteed to have games and a lot more of them than the Wii U. All the average person wants is to play games, and XB1 and PS4 offer that currently, Wii U doesn't.
*I think Nintendo would sell a whole lot more games on the PS4/XB1 and even with the licensing fees they would make more of a profit. But that's just me, if you want to do the complicated math and marketing algorithms to prove me wrong, feel free. I'll change my opinion when solid evidence suggests otherwise.
* yeah, and I could call out the game & watch to prove that nintendo did it EVEN MORE FIRST!...but that wasn't the point. When the wii was released, sony and MS laughed at that motion control thing. Now they have it as well. And you can bet the same thing will happen with the vita/smartglass thing: once it turns out to be something that actually adds something to the game, they will follow.
* the only thing nintendo wasted is the chance to get some decent third party support. And it's only "wasted" considering how you look at it (see also: the OP's link and the original topic).
* what Joostinonline said.
* if there wasn't a wiiu and nintendo would release those games for PS4/microsoft...then yes, I imagine the sales would be better. But with the licensing fees and additional costs, I doubt they'll make more profit. But yeah...we'll just disagree on this one. And get back to this once this actually happens. :P

Reactions: JoostinOnline

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv6vlP2qSyo