Gaming The problem with Pokemon and your approach.

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
Does anyone else remember the Pocket Pikachu? Kinda like a precursor to the Pokewalker in many respects. I had one as a kid. Kept it clipped to my belt at all times, even during school. Your basic tamagochi with a pedometer built in to get you 'volts' as I recall, to power up your 'chu. I don't recall what happened to mine. Probably got stolen the same time as my nigh unbeatable card deck.

Quesenek

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like Pokemon for the same reason I always have. The series really has no end. There is always going to be something else for you to do. Whether it is leveling every Pokemon to 100 with the correct stats. Finding all the Pokemon in the game to complete the national dex. Finding Shiny variations of each Pokemon...etc There truly is no end to the games if you look at them that way.
The problem with people now days is the fact that they just look at games real quick and try to judge them in the first 30 min on how much fun they are. with Pokemon you cannot do that. On fire red I have about 400 hours clocked and I'm just now having fun with it.

But, you cannot really expect someone to understand Pokemon unless they have been playing the games from the start. I started with Red and Blue and have bought and beat every handheld Pokemon game since those games. So maybe I have a different view of the games then say someone who has only been playing since the Red and Green remakes.
Blaze163 said:
Does anyone else remember the Pocket Pikachu? Kinda like a precursor to the Pokewalker in many respects. I had one as a kid. Kept it clipped to my belt at all times, even during school. Your basic tamagochi with a pedometer built in to get you 'volts' as I recall, to power up your 'chu. I don't recall what happened to mine. Probably got stolen the same time as my nigh unbeatable card deck.
Lol yeah. Mine also got stolen. If I remember right it was right after I bought it and I was so pissed about it.
Yeah the cards were so LEET back in 1999 lol. I was looking at the decks at the store yesterday and I cannot believe I spent 5 bucks a pack back then and I must have had 500+ cards.

Kaitocain

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I must say, that while the new pokemon games (D,P,Pt) bored me to tears, it makes me smile to see a good game of the series move to the DS.

In the end, it's all the same game. If you've played the older games, you've basically played the new ones.

caster62003

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pokemon really does suck, its starting to become all the shovel ware everybody is now complaining about. From my first time playing yellow, and then one from each edition they did up until something, can't remember which at the time, but it was not this one, but the one before, they all had the same story, and 90% of the time, very similar maps.

Story of a Pokemon game:

Chase a friend down some path.
Meet a professor who gives you your first Pokemon
Tell Mom your leaving
Go on an adventure
Defeat your now ex-friend who wants to kick your a**
Play some group of badies at some big corporation type building
Defeat Elite Four/Five
Rinse and Repeat

Same exact story line time and time again, very very boring, oh, my bad, I forgot to add, they add in some 5 year olds drawing and give it some random name and says that is the newest pokemon, and the reason for the new version.

5%

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
CC/C.Geass said:
it is successful because of the nostalgia

That's pretty much the jist of it. When you're introduced to something at a young age, the feelings surrounding that something, whether it be Pokemon, a console system, or a loved one, may never fade even as you age. The generation of kids who were introduced to Pokemon(Just replace Pokemon with any word you see fit) at a young age will not be phased by the likes of you so keep on moving son, be gone
yay.gif

When it comes down to the business aspect of Pokemon(or any medium for that matter), "Get em while they're young" comes to mind. Don't forget all the Pokemon merchandise Nintendo pushes out for fans to indulge in, and the shows & movies which will keep fans & newcomers to Pokemon satisfied, even if the games suck. World domination through Pokemon must be on Nintendo's to do list.
yaynds.gif

VLinh

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
caster62003 said:
Pokemon really does suck, its starting to become all the shovel ware everybody is now complaining about. From my first time playing yellow, and then one from each edition they did up until something, can't remember which at the time, but it was not this one, but the one before, they all had the same story, and 90% of the time, very similar maps.

Story of a Pokemon game:

Chase a friend down some path.
Meet a professor who gives you your first Pokemon
Tell Mom your leaving
Go on an adventure
Defeat your now ex-friend who wants to kick your a**
Play some group of badies at some big corporation type building
Defeat Elite Four/Five
Rinse and Repeat

Same exact story line time and time again, very very boring, oh, my bad, I forgot to add, they add in some 5 year olds drawing and give it some random name and says that is the newest pokemon, and the reason for the new version.

And its pretty much the same for the anime as well. For once, i wished they do something different to get everyone into a hype and spam the forums everywhere. My guess its gonna be the same thing for the new 5th Gen game coming out.

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dude (original poster) that's a bit harsh and out of control. I get the Pokemon dislike, but to call it the death of hand held gaming and hoping shitty apple products and other phone takeover is just wrong and sick.

The problem with pokemon to a few surely is the nostalgia trip, but there's more, it's that whole thing with the human nature to want to acquire things but also risk/gambling which the game has to it with all those battles and that's addiction. But for me the reason I gave up on it after Yellow is because the design sucks as far as leveling up goes. I think in most recent versions it was fixed(was it?) but the normal pokemon game has only allows you to level up the one creature you're using in a fight, the others do not. While that may be fine if you're talking about leveling up 4-5 things for a party effect, but in a game where you have to catch em all and use many of those 150+ that's too goddamn much and unreasonable. When I played I tried to manage around 8-10 of them and it got so aggravatingly tedious leveling them up I just quit. Red I got about 1/2 into it and stopped, Yellow due to the TV show got me as far as the walk to the final four but then learned I missed a TM or HM and the work to get that was a deal breaker. Since then I've never touched them more than an hour or two here or there on an emulator, and the desire is there but the will due to bad design is not.

Mike Hawk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thread is TL;DR

but I think I got about the gist of the entire discussion. here is my 2 cents.
but first let me put up my flameshield by saying I find the main quest completely boring, tedious, and overall ludicrous with a required suspension of disbelief equal to or higher than a Dr. Seuss book,
but, I absolutely LOVE the multiplayer battles.

lets face it pokemon is a franchise made first and foremost for kids(5-10) and new generations of children should be allowed to experience a pokemon adventure as we of the Red/Blue generation did
when we were kids, we are not the only generation enjoying games and personally I would prefer my kids to start gaming with a pokemon game than say Halo: "insert number here"

the series has made very negligible progressions since Gen 1 and I believe its for the reason stated above, its a childrens game and it should stay so.
honestly if you dont like the quest I suggest you just skip it find a save file and do multiplayer battles with pokesav, it will save you much time. or you could just not play the game and graduate to other titles, seriously when was the last time you picked up "The Little Locomotive that Could"?

edit:
QUOTE said:
producing rehashes of massively overrated games such as Mario

you best be trolling.

Saddamsdevil

Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
And its pretty much the same for the anime as well.

You'd think he'd start growing a beard by now. Ash started out 10, how many years has he been on his great path to enlightenment now? Srsly ash, I'd expect either you or Gary to be pokemon masters by now. Instead, they present it like martial arts where there is always something new to learn.

Also, the 2 new pokemon from generation 5 suck. They are basically a few pokemon combined together and recoloured, as if a kid who was watching dragonball made it up.

Range-TE

Trophies
Website
random-arrow.tumblr.com
XP
Country
Indonesia
CC/C.Geass said:
Pokemon is a poorly constructed franchise based around an overly simplistic rpg element and poor narrative.its not really over simplistic, but its not too complicated either! that's what makes it great, new people can play it and understand it easily (the learning curve is not that big) while the older fans will still enjoy it as well because its a great rpg anyways.

it is successful because of the nostalgia it generates and the feeling that is created y you guys that having this game s vital to knowing anything about gaming. It isn't. i gotta admit the nostalgia factor is huge and it helps sell , ok. but like cat boy said, how would you explain the new fans and the new generations?

If you like nostalgia so much to sacrifice any acknowledgement of fledgling gamers of better quality then I just hope that no one listens to you. Otherwise the future of hand held gaming is going to stay stuck in its mind set, producing rehashes of massively overrated games such as Mario, Pokemon and (shiver) Sonic...don't you be dissin' the hog and the plumba ,boi
mad.gif

The mindless fanboy culture that seem to breed in this petri dish forum is honestly disturbing...
I can only hope that some of the inventiveness shown on the iphone and within indie PC games is able to filter through. Otherwise you are going to witness the death of handheld gaming as it is viewed purely as for old school fanboys and for primary school games like the "imagine" series.i dont really get how this is gonna be the death of hand held gaming, not ALL ds games are remakes or sequels! thats just the current trend, remakes , on every console. and i'm loving it

Such trash should not be supported look at yourself as you play through pokemon again and ask yourself, "Am I actually enjoying playing this?"
lecture.gif
why, yes i am enjoying it. Catching a pokemon and raising it to be a badass lv.50-80 pokemon and beating everyone in the game then competing online against other players from around the world is an Enjoyable pass-time

but hey, to each his/her own right?
but you'd probably answer wrong

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I love pokemon, i do agree it has the same plot over and over again, but...........
What really interests me is what about 5th gen, the gamefreak director said on pokemon sunday show some weeks ago 'It'll make you ask yourself are we really playing pokemon' whatchu think, big changes in 5th gen? hmm

rockstar99

Hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
CC/C.Geass said:
Pokemon is a poorly constructed franchise based around an overly simplistic rpg element and poor narrative.

it is successful because of the nostalgia it generates and the feeling that is created y you guys that having this game s vital to knowing anything about gaming. It isn't.

If you like nostalgia so much to sacrifice any acknowledgement of fledgling gamers of better quality then I just hope that no one listens to you. Otherwise the future of hand held gaming is going to stay stuck in its mind set, producing rehashes of massively overrated games such as Mario, Pokemon and (shiver) Sonic...

The mindless fanboy culture that seem to breed in this petri dish forum is honestly disturbing...
I can only hope that some of the inventiveness shown on the iphone and within indie PC games is able to filter through. Otherwise you are going to witness the death of handheld gaming as it is viewed purely as for old school fanboys and for primary school games like the "imagine" series.

Such trash should not be supported look at yourself as you play through pokemon again and ask yourself, "Am I actually enjoying playing this?"
lecture.gif
Then what are the best games in your book?
HALO?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://imgur.com/gallery/L7XokiY