Gaming The problem with Pokemon and your approach.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
NahuelDS said:
sorry but this guy really pissed me off
this thread is pointless... he only want to disturb fans
He created a new acount only because he cant say that with his real user (He has only 3 post)

I think that this should be closed...
Now now, this site allows others to have their option and if you don't agree, too bad.
I can see some points could be seen as flaming, but has has a bit of a point started there.

nitrostemp

Trophies
XP
Country
Pliskron said:
I've never played a Pokemon game. This topic make me want to try one. What GBA/DS game do you all recommend for a Pokenube. I was thinking of jumping in with the newest game but I don't know.

leaf green or fire red for gba

Tom133t

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CC/C.Geass said:
Pokemon is a poorly constructed franchise based around an overly simplistic rpg element and poor narrative.

it is successful because of the nostalgia it generates and the feeling that is created y you guys that having this game s vital to knowing anything about gaming. It isn't.

If you like nostalgia so much to sacrifice any acknowledgement of fledgling gamers of better quality then I just hope that no one listens to you. Otherwise the future of hand held gaming is going to stay stuck in its mind set, producing rehashes of massively overrated games such as Mario, Pokemon and (shiver) Sonic...

The mindless fanboy culture that seem to breed in this petri dish forum is honestly disturbing...
I can only hope that some of the inventiveness shown on the iphone and within indie PC games is able to filter through. Otherwise you are going to witness the death of handheld gaming as it is viewed purely as for old school fanboys and for primary school games like the "imagine" series.

Such trash should not be supported look at yourself as you play through pokemon again and ask yourself, "Am I actually enjoying playing this?"
lecture.gif

And I really don't give a damn. I enjoy playing it, and if you don't, then shut up and go play WoW or something.

BobTheJoeBob

The most optimistic person on the temp. :)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Tom133t said:
CC/C.Geass said:
Pokemon is a poorly constructed franchise based around an overly simplistic rpg element and poor narrative.

it is successful because of the nostalgia it generates and the feeling that is created y you guys that having this game s vital to knowing anything about gaming. It isn't.

If you like nostalgia so much to sacrifice any acknowledgement of fledgling gamers of better quality then I just hope that no one listens to you. Otherwise the future of hand held gaming is going to stay stuck in its mind set, producing rehashes of massively overrated games such as Mario, Pokemon and (shiver) Sonic...

The mindless fanboy culture that seem to breed in this petri dish forum is honestly disturbing...
I can only hope that some of the inventiveness shown on the iphone and within indie PC games is able to filter through. Otherwise you are going to witness the death of handheld gaming as it is viewed purely as for old school fanboys and for primary school games like the "imagine" series.

Such trash should not be supported look at yourself as you play through pokemon again and ask yourself, "Am I actually enjoying playing this?"
lecture.gif

And I really don't give a damn. I enjoy playing it, and if you don't, then shut up and go play WoW or something.

Everyone's entitled to an opinion.

Pliskron

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BobTheJoeBob said:
Tom133t said:
CC/C.Geass said:

lecture.gif

everyone's entitled to an opinion
Sure everyone's entitled to an opinion but that doesn't mean that they can't shit for that opinion. We're also entitled not to suffer fools in silence.

Scott-105

Bow to me. Please?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Dude, I agree you are entitled to your opinion, but how can you say Pokemon sucks? I've played every Pokemon game since Red and Blue.

Well anyway, you're only going to get a hand full of people who actually agree with you, and that's pushing it a little.

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
I find the Pokemon franchise a great way to kill time in between shifts or on my days off while I'm waiting for my sweetheart to come home and play something more interesting
wink.gif

While I can agree that a change in the plot would be welcome, the games are still fun to play. Comes to something when doing the same thing I know I've done before, especially in the case of Soul Silver, is a better gaming experience than a good 85% of the market.

Also thought this was gonna be about AP. Was rather hoping someone had come up with a new idea so I can play Soul Silver properly. Oh well, back to my GBA emulator. Might as well make a start on Final Fantasy V and VI.

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
CC/C.Geass said:

lecture.gif

Grand Fail, just like how some people think Pokemon is shovelware.

gpalline

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree with the first post. I am playing HeartGold/SoulSilver completely for nostalgia. Red and Crystal were the first games I played as a kid. I didn't like Ruby and Sapphire but enjoyed Leaf Green. Didn't like Diamond or Pearl but am loving HeartGold.

BobTheJoeBob

The most optimistic person on the temp. :)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Pliskron said:
BobTheJoeBob said:
Tom133t said:
CC/C.Geass said:

lecture.gif

everyone's entitled to an opinion
Sure everyone's entitled to an opinion but that doesn't mean that they can't shit for that opinion. We're also entitled not to suffer fools in silence.
I myself don't think Pokemon sucks, I've played every game in the series. (Although the number of Pokemon is getting out of hand), I just don't approve of the way some people would just say "Shut up Pokemon's awesome" without giving a valid reason.

Hidoshi

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
The Pink Cat Boy said:
Hmmm
CC/C.Geass said:
Pokemon is a poorly constructed franchise based around an overly simplistic rpg element and poor narrative. Really now? I am interesting on seeing you back this statement up?

What he says is partially true though. It has a horrible narrative (in every pokemon game there is some excuse for the professor to give you a pokemon, you have a rival and team rocket and you're supposed to earn 8 badges and defeat the elite 4. IN EVERY POKEMON GAME. They only make small differences in every game. Simplistic rpg element: press attack, press 1 of 4 skills, wait for the enemy, repeat. When low health use potion or switch pokemon. Also rock/paper/scissors come in effect in this game (fire beats grass, grass beats rock etc.). So that isn't complex either.

This is actually a huge factor for sales. People who played gold and silver in the past want to play it again with all the changes that they've made (graphics/new game elements) and it always feels good to pick up a golden oldy (wow choice of words). Pink cat boy made quite a good point with new generations and new fans, but new fans play pokemon because it has been hyped by the old generation (and marketing).

The future is actually stuck because of publishers, not because of game developers. Please learn something about the game development industry before stating something like this. It's hard to get a publisher for an experimental game, since they can't get a good estimating of the sales.

Wow..inventiveness on the iphone? Tower defence, Tower defence etc,Castle defence, Castle defence etc, Line draw games (such as flight control),Line draw games,Line draw games etc. Really, there's not much inventiveness on the iphone tbh. Out of the 22000+ games that are released on the iphone, about 100-200 are original with good mechanics. The rest is just a clone.

You should try it sometime
smile.gif

Conclusion, your post was useless and unnecessary. Stop demotivating people for no reason. Saying that indie games are good and motivating people to buy those games is a better way than this (saying that a non-indie game sucks).

The End

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Offtopic and spamming, as well as flaming stops now!

Can't we have one decent discussion about Pokemon without flaming and spamming all the time?!

Author voiced his opinion, and he's welcome to do so as long as he's not braking any rules.
Timing might be somewhat off, because of the recent releases, but still, there is no reason to flame and insult!

I like Pokemons, I don't love them..my first GB game was Pokemon Red, and since then I've played Pokemon Crystal..I tried Pokemon Perl and almost finished the game, but never actually got into it, because of too many Pokemons..

I personally think that it's really a great game, well developed and there is a lot to do in it, so spending hours is no pain at all!
They could have bring more changes in all these new games, and new versions of old games, but on the other hand, I think that this Pokewalk is quite a neat feature
tongue.gif

Now, please, continue your talk in civil manner, or thread will be closed and troublemakers suspended!

EyeZ

Trophies
XP
I played Pokemon for the first time about a year ago (Diamond), and i thoroughly enjoyed it.

So when these versions came out, i thought it would be a good time to re-visit and yes, i am enjoying it all over again.

To come here and state what you have said, i can't understand what you are trying to accomplish, apart from everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but surely you must of guessed you was gonna get a load of flak.

Forstride

The rudder moves when I turn the wheel
Trophies
Website
forstride.stormbit.net
XP
Country
United States
bik75 said:
I enjoy playing it, and the reason I think it's good because there is so much to do, on no other DS game have I put 100hrs+
This...I have over 200 hours on my Diamond save.

I mean, it's not the best series ever, but then again, that's an opinion. I know your post (This is directed at the original poster) was an opinion too, but if you don't like Pokemon, fine, just don't flame other people that do like it.

fizzi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It's my 23rd birthday today, but I am actually getting excited about SoulSilver, and yes a good amount of that is the nostalgia of when I was younger and at school, My mates and I queued up to get our copies of silver and gold (I was a pokemon blue/silver kid) and then thoroughly enjoying playing them.

Pokemon SS/HG has the added appeal of a "tamagotchi" styled pokemon walker, which again triggers massive amounts of nostalgia for me as I was one of the young'uns who queued up outside Toys'R'Us for a clear blue tamagotchi. (I left it in the rain and it died so I buried it in the garden
biggrin.gif
)

However, the whole reason it triggers this insane amount of nostalgia is because they are genuinely fun games to play!

If you don't enjoy them, then that is fine, but telling people they are wrong to be excited about it is fairly rediculous. There are hundreds of very good RPGs etc on the DS, you really don't need to feel like the games industry is at risk because of pokemon.

ShirubaSoul

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you don't like it don't play it.
No need to make such a pointless thread.
It's a nice game to me and over a million people who play it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    There is zero instacart delivery to here. No door dash. No Uber. Notta. Its a small farming community
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    eagerly awaiting 4x 8TB HDDs to get delivered today
    So I drive the 30 miles there, spend $100-$150 on groceries, and drive back home. Still saved $$$ after gas over shopping locally.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You'd think you could make deals with local farmers
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :unsure::unsure::unsure: I could make a killing there doing instcart there :D @RedColoredStars
    It makes the trip even more worth it if I'm out of my medication and need to stop by the medical dispensary. I try to line the two up to avoid extra trips.
    +1
    @AncientBoi, Except the town is pretty MAGA infested. People still flying TRUMP 2016 flags all over. They didnt get the memo the year changed since then. lol.
    +1
    They passed a city ordinance last month. No smoking cannabis in public. Not even eating gummies. $300 fine and misdemeanor charge if caught. People can walk down the street smoking cigs and tossing the butts all over, but God forbit someone take a couple puffs of their medication.
    +1
    First off, it's recreationally legal here. Secondly, I have a prescription from my doctor and approved by the state. But still a fucking criminal.
    +1
    Like at bars. Cant sit outside even in the smoking section and take a few puffs. Yet I have to breath the cig smoke from 20 people chain smoking all night in every direction around me.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Honestly I feel like Trump is going to crush Biden just because of the trial
    They cite
    public health and safety concerns" LMAO!!! Yet they do nothing about the poison drinking water quality.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The look at how they treated me card is powerful within dumb voters
    A Trump win is certainly a possibility. If he's reelected, 4 more years then no one has to worry about him being president ever again. I survived last time, I'll survive it if there's a next time. Don't know how anyone could vote for the guy, but I'm also not anyone else but me.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Honestly things were cheaper with Trump but that's tounge and cheek could be exactly the same outcome if he won reelection
    All of the fake "Christians" vote for him even though he's broken like 8 of the 10 commandments... that we know of. Maybe all 10. LOL
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A president is just a public figure within America
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    South park put it will there's always a bite between a turd sandwhich or a giant douce
    +1
    I like when he says stuff like "They are preventing me from talking!!!" Wait. What? You mean the person that is literally talking right now.. is being prevented from talking? LOL! Gag order also does not apply to taking the stand. He's free to say whatever he'd like. lolol
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    holy fuck this discsussion sucks, where are my sisters
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Well if it sucks stop blowing turd sandwhich
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @NinStar, convince your parents to make a sister for you
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    parents? what parents?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    People who screwed each other to make you