Gaming The problem with Pokemon and your approach.

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Arkansaw said:
I just realize I still don't understand why pokemon is RPG, other than the leveling and stats, where is the roleplaying element?? Unless you mean roleplaying as a slave driver and animal abuser...
laugh.gif

But it is a typical RPG game. Where do you DON'T see roleplaying element in the game?

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah its every as much of a RPG as Final Fantasy. Down to the menu battles, levelling of characters and stats.

I always see the games as you playing a party of characters rather than just one.

Arkansaw

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
Hadriano said:
Yeah its every as much of a RPG as Final Fantasy. Down to the menu battles, levelling of characters and stats.

I always see the games as you playing a party of characters rather than just one.
Yeah, I get that part. I guess my attitude towards pokemon gameplay has become so mechanical, the roleplaying is now lost on me. It is always controlling one dude so that he can control a whole bunch of pokemon to do his bidding

Ritsuki

ORAORAORAORA
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
That's because Japanese vision of RPG s not the same than the "western" one. I saw on some magazine that they consider Tomb Raider as a RPG.

zaanco

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CC/C.Geass said:
Pokemon is a poorly constructed franchise based around an overly simplistic rpg element and poor narrative.

it is successful because of the nostalgia it generates and the feeling that is created y you guys that having this game s vital to knowing anything about gaming. It isn't.

If you like nostalgia so much to sacrifice any acknowledgement of fledgling gamers of better quality then I just hope that no one listens to you. Otherwise the future of hand held gaming is going to stay stuck in its mind set, producing rehashes of massively overrated games such as Mario, Pokemon and (shiver) Sonic...

The mindless fanboy culture that seem to breed in this petri dish forum is honestly disturbing...
I can only hope that some of the inventiveness shown on the iphone and within indie PC games is able to filter through. Otherwise you are going to witness the death of handheld gaming as it is viewed purely as for old school fanboys and for primary school games like the "imagine" series.

Such trash should not be supported look at yourself as you play through pokemon again and ask yourself, "Am I actually enjoying playing this?"
lecture.gif

Pokemon is a poorly constructed franchise based around an overly simplistic rpg element and poor narrative.
So some where in the millions in revenue it generates annually lies a poorly constructed framework of how a franchise shouldn't be run? Don't get me wrong, I understand where your coming from in that they basically just slapped a shiny new coat of glossy paint on the old silver and gold.

it is successful because of the nostalgia it generates and the feeling that is created
LOL oh ok, yeah your right. If that's whats holding up this franchise it could fall into a pile of rubble any second, but where is your proof?

"If you like nostalgia so much to sacrifice any acknowledgment of fledgling gamers of better quality then I just hope that no one listens to you. Otherwise the future of hand held gaming is going to stay stuck in its mind set, producing rehashes of massively overrated games such as Mario, Pokemon and (shiver) Sonic..."
Ok Mr. Conspiracy theorist I get what your saying. I don't know what a good game really is and I am just attracted to the shiny new Mario, Pokemon, Sonic, etc. like a pigeon right. What I don't think you realize is that these are very good archetypes for games. Its why they were good then and now. While you may feel the only thing that these games offer is nostalgia other recognized other aspects of them which are appealing. However, I wouldn't doubt nostalgia isn't a reason some are drawn to these games. I myself grew up playing gold and silver and nostalgia is most likely what drew me to them in the first place, but the base element of the game I found and still find most appealing is the collection of the various Pokemon. I am one of many millions who have enjoyed the Pokemon video games if you can .............. **** I'm bored. I am going to play Bad Company 2 see ya.

Curse my add!

gameguy95

Needs More Furries!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Excellentnuke said:
DeMoN said:
What about all the little kids who play Pokemon now? Some weren't even born when the Pokemon craze first began.
And yes I do enjoy playing the games.

P.S. Was I the only one who thought this topic was going to be a suggestion on how to bypass the Anti-piracy?
I thought it would've been about the anti-piracy too haha
XD so i'm not the only one

Sh!fT_23

Trophies
XP
Country
I honestly don't think the OP knows Pokemon that well, becuase it is most definently not simplistic. perhaps it is lacking in story but everyting that went into each of the Pokemon games is in fact quite complex and well thought out. The battle system alone has an extreme amount of thought gone into it and that's why battling is so fun. The mechanics are vast and yet still logical and it's easy to learn the basics but behind it there is so much intricacy. This is what leads to people coming up with incredible strategies that utilise all the weaknesses of both their and their opponent's pokemon.
And it's not just the battle system either, and I am vastly surprised by your comment saying that it is "based around an overly simplistic rpg element." Seriously I'd like to see you make a better game buddy.
Your completely entitled to your oppinion and to say that 'this game sux' but that is simply what you think, and in this cas I'd say it's pretty much not agreed with.

~Tiny~

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It doesn't matter how old the Pokemon franchise gets, it'll at least always have the newcomers and long-time fanboys.

Rabbits_Galore

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ever since I was little and Silver had just come out in Japan, I had my mom buy me one and we (my sister and I)played it like crazy. when the crystal came out, I played that too. I played Sapphire, Emerald, then the.... third one from diamond and Pearl. I've also played yellow and the leaf green, etc. I played soul silver a few months back.

I played the Silver, Crystal and yellow because I was seriously O: face when I saw them come out. I gotta admit my interest started to fade at Emerald and Pearl. (but I didn't pay for the games anyways)

I played soul silver and fire red for nostalgic purposes. Never got far in soul silver though.

DarkFocus

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Don't state your opinion as fact OP it's not
glare.gif
you's be trollin dawg
angry.gif

Oh and your calling pokemon bad but saying the games on the Iphone are good, Whats wrong with you?
wtf.gif

although I have to admit I don't like the art design of anything past the 3rd gen at all, the gameplay is still good.

SamAsh07

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
@ TC, oh you are so damn right, in every single way - NOT;
You're forgetting that not only kids, but grown-ups (50+) and adults alike, play Pokemon.
You are just bored of Pokemon's gfx and storyline, thats your whole point nothing else, rest of your message in the post is all crap.

By the way, you know, people who complain about a games' series are ACTUALLY in REALITY the biggest fans of that franchise who are just trying to lure attention and seek those that DO NOT support Pokemon.

P.S. I presume that the title of this topic was meant to be "The problem with Pokemon and my approach"

esoterica

Trophies
Website
www.myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
Bleh, I briefly skimmed the entire thread. Can't be bothered to read every response.

I am 24 now and I remember when Pokemon first came out. I think I got into it a bit later, but I did have Pokemon Red and I remember my friends on the school bus and I would always trade and talk about it and play on our Gameboys EVERY moment we could. I adored the game. I think that was when there were only 150 Pokemon?

I had Yellow and Pokemon Stadium and Pokemon Snap for N64, and I think that is as far it took me, as I got over it after that. All the ones that came out after that.... I just never really got into it. There were too many Pokemon to keep up with and it seems like they keep adding new ones and watering the game out and pumping out new ones that don't seem all that different to me. But I may be biased, I haven't really tried them or had any desire to.

I hope kids these days can enjoy the new Pokemons as much or even more than we did when it was fresh, but I don't see myself ever getting really into it. I might have if they made one where it was just the original 150 with something new... maybe like if you could physically move your pokemon around and had more than 4 spells and they had cooldowns and could play it in real time or something? That would be kind of cool.

Pokemon will always hold a place in my heart. But I don't think I will get back into it.

dysan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Greece
wtf is up with all you people asking proof to back up the thread starter's opinions?
been playing phoenix wright too much?lol

THIS ISN'T A COURTROOM PEOPLE,WE DON'T NEED "DECISIVE EVIDENCE"

it's just 1 man's opinion vs what seems like a zillion other people's opinions...

he was speaking his mind....you don't have to flame the crap out of him just because he doesn't agree with you.

JEEEEEEEEEEEEEZ!
closedeyes.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Don't know how I missed this https://youtu.be/OgLD1yhxNik?si=I94vWUB9-LcKc5jR