The problem with Pokemon and your approach.

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by CC/C.Geass, Mar 14, 2010.

Mar 14, 2010
  1. CC/C.Geass
    OP

Newcomer CC/C.Geass Member

South Africa
    Pokemon is a poorly constructed franchise based around an overly simplistic rpg element and poor narrative.

it is successful because of the nostalgia it generates and the feeling that is created y you guys that having this game s vital to knowing anything about gaming. It isn't.

If you like nostalgia so much to sacrifice any acknowledgement of fledgling gamers of better quality then I just hope that no one listens to you. Otherwise the future of hand held gaming is going to stay stuck in its mind set, producing rehashes of massively overrated games such as Mario, Pokemon and (shiver) Sonic...

The mindless fanboy culture that seem to breed in this petri dish forum is honestly disturbing...
    I can only hope that some of the inventiveness shown on the iphone and within indie PC games is able to filter through. Otherwise you are going to witness the death of handheld gaming as it is viewed purely as for old school fanboys and for primary school games like the "imagine" series.

Such trash should not be supported look at yourself as you play through pokemon again and ask yourself, "Am I actually enjoying playing this?"
    [​IMG]

2. Leo Cantus

Member Leo Cantus So zeta slow!

United Kingdom
    I enjoy playing it, and the reason I think it's good because there is so much to do, on no other DS game have I put 100hrs+

3. Paulieo

Newcomer Paulieo Advanced Member

Australia
    I just did what you suggested and I came back with "Yes I am actually enjoying playing this." I'm not a fanboy the only pokemon game I have ever played is Pearl, but I do find these games useful for passing time before I have a uni lecture.

4. Excellentnuke

Member Excellentnuke GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Believe it or not, some people, myself included like playing Pokemon. There's even a whole competitive battling community. This competitive battling is helping keep the game's success.

5. yez

Newcomer yez Member

United States
    Hahahahaha!
    Man, how old are you? Also pokemon is a timeless classic. You may look at it and find nothing that you like, but when i actually started to play it again i was amazed by how complex the game was.
    What is a ds game that you think is much better or the best?

6. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    What about all the little kids who play Pokemon now? Some weren't even born when the Pokemon craze first began.
    And yes I do enjoy playing the games.

P.S. Was I the only one who thought this topic was going to be a suggestion on how to bypass the Anti-piracy?

7. Crystal the Glaceon

Member Crystal the Glaceon GBAtemp Inkling™ Squishies~

Antarctica
    Hmmm

8. Excellentnuke

Member Excellentnuke GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I thought it would've been about the anti-piracy too haha

9. Crystal the Glaceon

Antarctica
    I was just about to hit the report button when I saw it. lol

10. CC/C.Geass
    OP

Newcomer CC/C.Geass Member

South Africa
    Part of my point was that the current games (the remakes) are in fact no more fun than the originals.
    The battling community, I take your point, but really doesn't it become kinda the same, my friends and I had quickly worked out the combinations that would win and which pokemon where worth having. I played through pokemon blue 4 times, (red+yellow once each as well) . In all honesty I disliked silver and gold, mainly because I felt they were a let down, but I realise almost all would disagree with me.

As for playing before uni lectures, fine, but I prefer other games, I have no problem with people playing them, what upsets me is the seemingly blind and gulible mobs of people that surround some of the older games ( In all honesty I think mario is the worst, (not inc. galaxy)) for this. I mean I would draw parallels between Mario fanboys and Mac fan boys (who are unbelievable) .

11. Nah3DS

Member Nah3DS Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!

Argentina
    YES

sorry for the flaming post... but I think that you deserve it

12. Ryukouki

Member Ryukouki See you later, guys.

United States
    No flaming on the forum. Pokemon is an amazing franchise dude. Please tell me someone forced you to write this.

13. Pliskron

Banned Pliskron Banned

United States
    You know what they say, Opinions are like assholes...everyone has one ... I've got something to add to that some people are one. Get my drift?

14. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    What's that? You say other people have a different opinion than you?

Holy shit! That must mean something is wrong with them!

15. nitrostemp

Member nitrostemp GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    i remember watching the first episode in english *cringe* when i was 9 and now that the origanal japanese version is being subbing im watching that too. I got pokemon cards when they came out and got a shiny charizard in my first pack.
    i started playing pokemon yellow and went straight to crystal and from then on i've gotten every pokemon game released

16. Crystal the Glaceon

Antarctica
    @NahuelDS
    Don't flame, Mmmmmk?

17. Azoth2090

Member Azoth2090 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    .... What.... What... WHAT???

18. BobTheJoeBob

Member BobTheJoeBob The most optimistic person on the temp. :)

United Kingdom
    Although the actual pokemon anime is becoming a piece of crap, the games are a great enjoyment and you can get a lot of fun out of them. I'd say that they're overdoing it with the amount of pokemon however the games are still incredibly fun and passes the time quite well.

19. Nah3DS

Member Nah3DS Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!

Argentina
    sorry but this guy really pissed me off
    this thread is pointless... he only want to disturb fans
    He created a new acount only because he cant say that with his real user (He has only 3 post)

I think that this should be closed...

20. Pliskron

Banned Pliskron Banned

United States
    I've never played a Pokemon game. This topic make me want to try one. What GBA/DS game do you all recommend for a Pokenube. I was thinking of jumping in with the newest game but I don't know.