The original Resident Evil 2 (1998) gets an official release date of August 27th for its GOG re-release

Back in June of this year, GOG announced that they would be re-released the original classic trilogy of Resident Evil titles that made the franchise what it is today, with the original Resident Evil (1996) being the first one to be released on the same day of the announcement, while Resident Evil 2 (1998) and Resident Evil 3 (1999) would be coming later on 2024.

Today, GOG announced the official release date for Resident Evil 2 (1998), with the final date being August 27th, 2024, just a mere week away. As with the re-release of the original Resident Evil, this new re-release of RE2 promises a bunch of quality of life improvements and other optimizations to the original PC release to bring the game to modern standards.

Some of the changes made for this new re-release are:
  • Full compatibility with Windows 10 and Windows 11.
  • 6 localizations of the game included (English, German, French, Italian, Spanish, Japanese).
  • Improved DirectX game renderer.
  • New rendering options (Windowed Mode, Vertical Synchronization Control, Gamma Correction, Integer Scaling and more).
  • Improved audio volume and panning.
  • Improved cutscenes and subtitles.
  • Improved savegame manager.
  • Improved game video player.
  • Issue-less game exit.
  • Improved game registry settings.
  • Improved key-binding settings and audio settings screens.
  • Improved end credits in the German version.
  • Fixed issues with Rooms 114 and 115 (missing text), Room 210 (invisible diary), and Room 409 (looping sound).
  • Full support for modern controllers (Sony DualSense, Sony DualShock4, Microsoft Xbox Series, Microsoft Xbox One, Microsoft Xbox 360, Nintendo Switch, Logitech F series and many more) with optimal button binding regardless of the hardware and wireless mode.
  • 4th Survivor and Tofu modes enabled from the very beginning.
The original Resident Evil re-release for PC was compatible (through some slight tweaks) with the fanmade "Classic Rebirth" patch by Gemini, which features a lot of further improvements to make the PC version the definitive experience for RE1. This was made possible due to the re-release of RE1 being based off the MediaKite version of RE1. However, it remains to be seen if this RE2 re-release will be based on the SourceNext PC release, to make it compatible with Gemini's Resident Evil 2 Classic Rebirth patch as well.

:arrow: Source
:arrow: Resident Evil Bundle on GOG
:arrow: Resident Evil 2 (1998) on GOG

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
Mozambique
Meh. have played the first few games enough times to last a lifetime. Zero desire to replay any of the originals. But cool, I guess, for those who haven't ever played them or haven't played them much.

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it's amusing how the OG Resident Evil is 10 dollars on GOG, and RE Remake is less than 4 dollars on Cdkey sites, and goes on sale on Steam all the time. Also, the RE Remake PC port is pretty bad.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I think it's amusing how the OG Resident Evil is 10 dollars on GOG, and RE Remake is less than 4 dollars on Cdkey sites, and goes on sale on Steam all the time. Also, the RE Remake PC port is pretty bad.
What do you mean the RE Remake PC port is bad?
I'd like to hear reasons behind that, as someone that owns almost every original release of it and the most recent version too

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Well, for one thing, the "widescreen mode" isn't actually widescreen, the game is just zoomed in.
That's prettu much expected since all the original backgrounds are 4:3.
The panning effect was a good way to deal with the backgrounds in a 16:9 remaster.
Code Veronica introduced camera planning, although that one had full 3D stages.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Seems weird to me that they don't recompress the original CGI cutscenes from the raw rendering data so they look crisp and are truly RENDERED in HD from the get-go. Upscaling the same rehashed low-res compressed MEPG-1 video trash from the 90's isn't aging well at all.

urbanman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seems weird to me that they don't recompress the original CGI cutscenes from the raw rendering data so they look crisp and are truly RENDERED in HD from the get-go. Upscaling the same rehashed low-res compressed MEPG-1 video trash from the 90's isn't aging well at all.
More than likely this iteration of the game will be a rehash of the Windows version, "Resident Evil 2 Platinum Edition," that runs from a launcher. Same old game from back in the day (all the way in 1999).

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
That's prettu much expected since all the original backgrounds are 4:3.
The panning effect was a good way to deal with the backgrounds in a 16:9 remaster.
Code Veronica introduced camera planning, although that one had full 3D stages.
They should open the 3D Studio Max/Maya (Not sure what they used back then, but those two were top-tier at the time) scene files from the 90's and re-render them all in full HD, but still as flat static backgrounds to stay compatible with the engine.
Post automatically merged:

More than likely this iteration of the game will be a rehash of the Windows version, "Resident Evil 2 Platinum Edition," that runs from a launcher. Same old game from back in the day (all the way in 1999).
I'm aware... I just hate when people half-ass a remaster. Go back to the original source files and re-render that shit.

urbanman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm aware... I just hate when people half-ass a remaster. Go back to the original source files and re-render that shit.
I understand your sentiment, but this iteration of RE2 was never meant to be remaster though, just a re-release based on GOG's original press release in conjunction w/ Capcom a month or 2 ago. It's nothing fundamentally different from the original version. Capcom just released the RE2 remake not too long ago so if revamped visuals tickles your fancy then I would implore that you refer to that iteration of the game.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I understand your sentiment, but this iteration of RE2 was never meant to be remaster though, just a re-release based on GOG's original press release in conjunction w/ Capcom a month or 2 ago. It's nothing fundamentally different from the original version. Capcom just released the RE2 remake not too long ago so if revamped visuals tickles your fancy then I would implore that you refer to that iteration of the game.
So basically just compatibility patches to keep it working for the foreseeable future. I get it... The remake was vastly different from the source material, and it sucks that RE2 never got a proper remaster anywhere between the original release or the remake.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamala_(wrestler)