The Oculus Quest will soon have official support for playing Rift games

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Sep 25, 2019.

Front-page

The Oculus Quest is the recently-launched virtual reality headset from Oculus, or rather, Facebook. What makes the Quest stand out in comparison to other VR headsets, is the fact that the Quest is wireless, and has internal components to play games, without relying on a gaming PC. Though, due to the lack of raw power from a gaming rig, the Quest wasn't able to fully play content that had previously released for Oculus' prior headset, the Rift. That all changed today, however, at the OC6 event, where Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg revealed a new project, Oculus Link, which would allow Quest headsets to be connected via USB-C to a computer, in order to play games from the Rift's library, essentially giving players the opportunity to use the latest Oculus tech, without worrying that it would be relegated to only playing casual games. The Oculus Link software will release sometime this November.

Also revealed at the public event was hand tracking. Instead of using a controller, the Oculus Quest would use its outer cameras and "deep learning" to allow users to interact in VR with only their hands. This feature will be launching in early 2020. That wasn't all; the mobile Oculus Go apps are also being ported over to the Quest, as the company appears to be investing fully into their new headset.

:arrow: Source

Discussion (19 replies)
  1. Mr. Looigi

Mr. Looigi Waifu material

Aug 8, 2018
    United States
    Rec Center
    I tried the Oculus Quest. Hurt my face like hell for no reason.
    But I’m fine with my Rift CV1
    *cough* play Rec Room *cough*

Baoulettes likes this.
  2. Chary
    OP

Chary Never sleeps.

pip Senior Editor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    Well that makes me feel better at least, cuz I was regretting getting a Rift just a few days before this announcement lol. The OG Rift is just so comfy.

x65943 and Mr. Looigi like this.
  3. Mr. Looigi

Mr. Looigi Waifu material

Aug 8, 2018
    United States
    Rec Center
    Little tip for my VR peeps: Try to avoid buying things from the Oculus store. SteamVR is much more stable
    If you come across something only on the Oculus store though, it's fine
    But you get much better performance with Steam's auto resolution scaling

Xzi likes this.
  4. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo G'nome

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    That's neat I guess, always good to have more hardware options for VR.

But TBH the OG Rift is probably better than the Quest for PC VR since it has a higher refresh rate which is rather important when you're playing any "intense motion" game that'd you'd find on dedicated gaming PC vs whatever mobile hardware the Quest uses. Higher quality screen is nice and all, but that 72hz can be pretty jarring if you're used to 90hz VR.

5. Dimensional

Dimensional GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 7, 2008
    United States
    Texas
    Neat, so with the USB C Cable you can turn your Wireless Oculus Quest into a more expensive version of the Wired Oculus Rift to play Rift games!

Mr. Looigi likes this.
  6. tranceology3

tranceology3 Member

Newcomer
    Oct 13, 2015
    United States
    I guess it really comes down to the user, but I am a pretty avid VR user. Ive had the DK1, DK2, Rift, Vive and now the Quest. In my experience the 72hz is not noticeable when playing in the quest. Going from 60hz (DK1) to 75hz (DK2) was a huge improvement, but going to 90Hz, I didn't really notice much difference.

Anyway, connecting the Oculus Quest to the PC is a pretty big deal, since the Quest has everything built in VS the other systems, and now all you need is one cable. But going from the cable free Quest, to being tethered again is going to be hard to adjust. VR without wires is how it's meant to be played.

7. royvedas

royvedas Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 12, 2007
    They just killed the Rift. Stating otherwise is just trying to defend af purchasing decision that does not need any defence. It was a fair option at the time if you wanted better graphics. Now you are more or less an idiot if you choose the Rift over the Quest.

8. SCOTT0852

SCOTT0852 Some Dude on the Internet

Jan 20, 2018
    United States
    The Rift S costs the same as the 64gb Quest. It also has the same resolution, all that the Rift S has over it is a lighter weight and 90 FPS instead of the Quest's 72 FPS.

9. fvig2001

fvig2001 GBAtemp Regular

Aug 21, 2006
    I have a quest and I am excited about this since the wireless PCVR solution is a big graphical step down. I am just worried that I will end up breaking the fiber optic usb-c cable when I accidentally step on it and it's like $80. Knowing me, I will probably just use it to play console games on the Quest and maybe sit down games. Active games like Drunkn Bar Fight will end with me tripping.

Last edited by fvig2001, Sep 26, 2019
  10. Pipistrele

Pipistrele GBAtemp Regular

Jan 21, 2019
    Russia
    Kinda neat! The price is still ridiculous for anyone but invested niche users though.

Subtle Demise likes this.
  11. Xzi

Xzi All your base are belong to the proletariat

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Not really, considering that $400 gets you a mid-range gaming monitor these days, and a VR headset is a display plus lenses plus a bunch of other built-in hardware. It's a lot of money for console-focused gamers, sure, but that's why PSVR exists.

12. BlastedGuy9905

BlastedGuy9905 where's the updated autopsy report

Apr 13, 2017
    United States
    under your desk
    "You are an idiot if you don't want a screen that induces motion sickness and worse speakers and less control over the stuff you can run on your headset"

13. Dimensional

Dimensional GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 7, 2008
    United States
    Texas
    Cool, so the Link will turn the Quest into an over priced, heavier and slower Rift S then. Of course you could use another program that would stream it wirelessly, which Oculus has forced the developer to remove from their store. I'm talking Virtual Desktop and the developer's Steam Stream feature he had to make as a separate, unofficial app.

14. Pipistrele

Pipistrele GBAtemp Regular

Jan 21, 2019
    Russia
    Depends on definition of "mid-range" - I honestly don't see that many average PC gamers (i.e. the ones who simply prefer playing modern games on PC) buying $400 monitors, and the whole "master race" community that invests in expensive gaming setups is kind of a niche in itself.

Last edited by Pipistrele, Sep 26, 2019
  15. aofelix

aofelix GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 21, 2013
    80FPS.
    2 extra camera for better tracking.
    Direct connection to the GPU.
    Less SDE

The quest will still be streaming the game and not directly attached to the GPU so I'm going to assume the rendered quality is still going to take a hit whether its in streamed video quality due to encoding or less processing power because the computers having to do more.

I'm really excited as the Quest's black levels are the best I've seen on a VR headset.

If this means I can actually downsize to one headset just for neatness, I'll probably sell my Rift S.

16. TerribleTy27

TerribleTy27 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 22, 2017
    United States
    Up Yours
    All these dudes talking about how the quest feels in comparison to the rift while I quietly cry in the corner with my i5 integrated graphics card 4gb RAM laptop.

Mr. Looigi likes this.
  17. Araeden

Araeden Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 1, 2015
    Canada
    Am the only one super excited about this? By far my favourite surprise reveal of the whole event.

Mr. Looigi likes this.
  18. stephrk398

stephrk398 GBAtemp Fan

May 29, 2018
    United States
    Same. I wanted to keep it so badly but it was so front heavy that I got neck pain.

Mr. Looigi likes this.
  19. tranceology3

tranceology3 Member

Newcomer
    Oct 13, 2015
    United States
    Totally agree with this.