CitraVR emulator port for Meta Quest headsets launched

citravr.jpg

VR developer Amanda Watson has launched a new emulator for Meta Quest VR headsets: CitraVR. It is a Quest-native (no third-party game engine) port of the Citra 3DS emulator that allows you to play homebrew and backup games on a VR headset in 3D.

The emulator, currently in Beta stage, is compatible with the Meta Quest 2, Quest Pro and Quest 3 headsets and has the following features:
  • Stereoscopic rendering
  • Broad controller support
  • Large, moveable/resizeable screen
  • Playable in mixed reality
  • Low-overhead port
  • Fully GPL-licensed, 100% independent of the Meta SDK
The developer has provided an installation guide over on the GitHub release as well as a WIP games compatibility list. CitraVR is also available via SideQuest as of today.

:arrow: SOURCE
:download: CitraVR GitHub Page

TheStonedModder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it sucks on the quest 2, just sucks.
I suspect you need a quest 3 to run it reasonably.
I used the normal citra app on my quest 2 for months, and didn't have any issues. It actually ran better than my AMD "gaming laptop"

Unless they changed something huge, I don't see why their normal Citra APK would run great on a quest 2 but a dedicated quest version runs worse

Even with Multi tasking I was getting full FPS
image0.jpg

Thejax

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used the normal citra app on my quest 2 for months, and didn't have any issues. It actually ran better than my AMD "gaming laptop"

Unless they changed something huge, I don't see why their normal Citra APK would run great on a quest 2 but a dedicated quest version runs worse

I don’t know yet as I can’t unzip files on my quest directly and couldn’t grab my laptop ether but.

This isn’t Citra’s project, a third party did it

TheStonedModder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don’t know yet as I can’t unzip files on my quest directly and couldn’t grab my laptop ether but.

This isn’t Citra’s project, a third party did it
AFAIK it got retweeted by the official citra team. So while it might be third party it seems at least partially supported

But I even tried both the official and unofficial citra apps on my Quest 2 with full multi tasking mode enabled and had no issues

GengarsGhostlyGiggles

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh

image0.jpg
have you tried citra vr ?
also what are your settings ?
I'll try it again later today.

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
works decent! im on the quest 2 still. its not perfect, but i tested mario 3d world, mario kart 7 and nsmb2. very cool application and im excited to see if it improves over time!!

HiradeGirl

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

image0.jpg
I could be wrong, but my take from the post is that this (Citra VR) could render the top screen in stereoscopic mode? (As in, 3D), while playing with the normal Citra in a screen doesn't allow that?

xbmcuser

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Citra mainly works at full speef on a Switch under Android or Linux. not under Hos

the quest2 is more powerful that the Switch so should run fine especially with Vulkan and MMJ jits

Reactions: osaka35

Nincompoopdo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I run Citra on my computer and use Bigscreen to stream it to my Quest 2. Games run flawlessly and have nice 3d Stereoscopic effect. Running it natively in the headset will be more convenient though.

Edit: The original Citra has built-in 3d output, you need to enable it in the setting.

Reactions: DoctorBagPhD

TheStonedModder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hopefully Yuzu gets this same treatment soon. I’d love to play “new” pokemon snap in VR. That would be the most relaxing game ever

TheNerdWIzard

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They should work on getting the emulator at playable speeds on Android before even thinking about adding VR support. Backward-ass priorities right there.
The person who made the VR port isn't part of the Citra team. It's open source, anyone can modify it and make their own version.

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
So does Citra's demise mean this project is dead in the water too?
Doesn't seem like the same devs, so that probably depends on whether or not the CitraVR developer wants to continue with it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto