The most pretentious games you've ever played

Kwartel

The fairest in all the land
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I liked ME3, but everything after that little elevator at the end is the line in the sand that separated the game from itself and total horse shit.
Also, not really sure it fits the definition of pretentious though.
I found it pretentious in the way they were all: "Choices are important for the game." And were all cocky about it and than in ME3, it didn't matter what choices you made throughout the trilogy.

Reactions: Sterling

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Hmm...nope. Can't get much more pretentious than Blizzard these days. Really, they have their own conventions... I don't see any THQcon or Valvecon...who do they think they are?
They think they are a company whose games (and accompanying content) are strong and popular enough -or simply have a devoted enough audience - to carry an entire convention, with excellent attendance, something a lot of intellectual properties couldn't on their own. And why don't we see a Valvecon? It could be fun.

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
My definition of 'pretentious' is seeing a stunning looking lass on a night out gliding across the dancefloor knowing full well how gorgeous she is... As a result there's one game that nails this definition for me: Journey!
Beautiful, gorgeous, perfectly sized game, but boy does it fukkin know it is......

TemplarGR

Gaming expert
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
One of the most pretentious games i ever played is The Witcher 2 (and in a somewhat lesser way the original too)...

It tries so hard to be an "adult" game, with lots of sex, nudity, violence and a macho protagonist, but it truly is targeted to teens at best... It is totally unrealistic for true adults, and i don't mean the fantasy setting...

And it is not only the fake matureness of the game, it also tries to present a false picture of gameplay depth, but it is a truly shallow game. Quite boring battles, NPCs that don't really matter, lore that doesn't really matter, nothing to do except going forward the plot...

And don't let me start on its laughable plot...

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
ITT: People who confuse "pretentious" with "stuff I'm sick of hearing about".

The. Entire. Thread.
Roflol. I was actually about to post exactly the same thing. And I mean nearly word for word. :rofl2:

People here have a funny definition of pretentious. Most of games that are being noted here are brilliant games, it's just you guys for some reason are sub-concious hipsters and don't llike the game simply because it's become too popular (often due to being something different).

It's a bit like watching a brilliant actor then saying "oh I can tell he's just acting" there's nothing THAT good about it.
As someone said earlier in the thread, Minecraft was liked by everyone who played it in early alpha. Now I'm sure half those people don't like it just because it has so many kids playing and posting shit on YouTube. Like a game for what it is, not who plays it or what a douche bag the dev is (I'm looking at you Team Meat).

Reactions: UltraHurricane

DiabloStorm

Anti-Semantic Bastard
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Nah, as far as my example goes, Diablo 3 was a puffed up, overhyped scam that sold itself on it's namesake. When old school diablo vets played through the game they realized it was horse shit. It fits the definition.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/pretentious

As an example, the game bragged about being difficult, and then they nerfed it to casual the first month. I made an entire thread noting how pretentious the game was on blizz's forums but I'm not gonna retype all that lol

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
How can a thread about pretentious games go to four pages without any Peter Molyneux projects being mentioned?

This game will change the way you play games forever.

This game will change the way you interact with characters forever.

This game will change the way narrative in games develops forever.

*Insert twenty more statements about how his next project will change things forever*

*Give game 7/10 upon release*

Oh my poor temp, learn to look at a dictionary once in a while. :gun:

Reactions: Gahars

TemplarGR

Gaming expert
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I think the point is to mention pretentious games, not overhyped ones...

Molyneux's games themselves don't pretent to be something more than they are: Light hearted "God Emulators" or RPGS... The problem with those games is that more is promised before release than is delivered...

Let me agree with others and add Mass effect 3 to the list. It is an example of a pretentious game.

Why?

Because from the start it tries hard to involve the player in a "Save the Galaxy" fight. It tries to be sad, urgent, melodramatic, larger than life... Remember its begining with tha piano music as the Normady escapes...

And then it fails to be all those things. Never again you feel the threat. You don't fear the Reapers ( pun not intended) at all. You don't feel what is at stake. Citadel is business as usual. NPS'c are truly unaffected by the Armaggedon... It becomes yet another by the numbers RPG in typical Bioware fashion, but without a soul. Character relations are forced, quests are unimportant and lame, and you never really understand your enemy or how you can defeat them. Therefore you remain unattached to the situation as a player.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If we can broaden the topic a little bit and include developers, pretty much the cast of Indie Game: The Movie. You can throw in Notch while we're at it.

Motherfucking this!

Seriously, that notch guy has to be taken down a peg (yeah I know, could have used his name too). Seriously, that guy is the most arrogant dickhole I've ever seen in the game industry. They made one game (Minecraft) and he comes off as he's the god of Indie Gaming or something like that. He spouts bullshit opinions and just comes off as a guy who I'd want to punch in the face if given the chance.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Motherfucking this!

Seriously, that notch guy has to be taken down a peg (yeah I know, could have used his name too). Seriously, that guy is the most arrogant dickhole I've ever seen in the game industry. They made one game (Minecraft) and he comes off as he's the god of Indie Gaming or something like that. He spouts bullshit opinions and just comes off as a guy who I'd want to punch in the face if given the chance.
Woah, really?

Wasn't aware that Notch was released already. Did they really bring Notch to the PS3 this time?

Seraph

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Woah, really?

Wasn't aware that Notch was released already. Did they really bring Notch to the PS3 this time?
Not sure if serious...although I don't really agree with ShadowSoldier. Or most of the people in the thread...I mean why buy something like Minecraft when with so much press, you should know what you are getting into? I'd say you can call the developers pretentious, but not the games as most that get any press are decent.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well it's probably the one youtube link I posted +1