The most pretentious games you've ever played

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
Motherfucking this!

Seriously, that notch guy has to be taken down a peg (yeah I know, could have used his name too). Seriously, that guy is the most arrogant dickhole I've ever seen in the game industry. They made one game (Minecraft) and he comes off as he's the god of Indie Gaming or something like that. He spouts bullshit opinions and just comes off as a guy who I'd want to punch in the face if given the chance.
To be fair he pretty much is the "god of Indie gaming". He certainly has the most successful indie game out there and I'd say that Minecraft had a lot to do with the rise on indie gaming. As Minecraft grew more popular and people became aware it was made by one man (to begin with) this undeniably helped the indie community massively. (I'd say HIB also played a big role, also came after Minecraft though).

Also, his game is waaay more successful than most big AAA releases and has made many millions of $ doing so. All from a game starting from just one man. If that isn't reason to brag a bit I don't see what is. (Yes OK maybe he could take it down a bit but tbh I'm sure anyone would be the same in his situation. You're being given the attention, why not take it?).

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
To be fair he pretty much is the "god of Indie gaming". He certainly has the most successful indie game out there and I'd say that Minecraft had a lot to do with the rise on indie gaming. As Minecraft grew more popular and people became aware it was made by one man (to begin with) this undeniably helped the indie community massively. (I'd say HIB also played a big role, also came after Minecraft though).

Also, his game is waaay more successful than most big AAA releases and has made many millions of $ doing so. All from a game starting from just one man. If that isn't reason to brag a bit I don't see what is. (Yes OK maybe he could take it down a bit but tbh I'm sure anyone would be the same in his situation. You're being given the attention, why not take it?).
The guy who made Cave Story did it on his own, and it's a far better game.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
Because bragging makes you come across as an arrogant, obnoxious douche?
You appear to have quoted the section of my post that answered your question. ;)
Yes he may have gone a little over the top but he should be allowed to after having a success like that. How is it affecting anyone else?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Quick question.

Is anybody here actually talking about Notch bragging (as in, articles written by him, words written by him, etc.), or are they still confusing "stuff I'm tired of seeing people talk about" with... Idunno', 50 other subjects? Like all the articles and shit other people are writing.

Reactions: Wizerzak

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This thread is no longer about pretentious games as is the fate of every thread ever to become off topic.
Can see your argument, but such is the case with messageboards since 1990-plonk - I'm assuming you've made your contribution to the original topic so why not sit back, chill out and go with the flow??

My 2 cents on the skewed topic: which eejit tried to compare Cave story with Minecraft on a popularity basis? Gawd haha... Notch does come off as a bit of an arrogant prick from what I've read, but he's got nothing on Molyneux, and his game's probably out-sold all of that bald yeded owd tosser's games combined - he deserves to bark off a bit if you ask me!

hhs

You will not like the outcome of this encounter
Trophies
XP
Country
The World Ends With You.
I know it's popular on forums like this but it's so ham handedly desperate to sound smart. Every convo with that older guy is such forced "that's deep man."

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
What the hell even is a pretentious game anyways? One thats good?
Pretentious [prɪˈtɛnʃəs] adj. Making claim to distinction or importance, esp undeservedly.

Like Molyneux always claim that his games will change how people play, interact for ever. Or how stories are presented forever. He himself claims that his games are god's gift to mankind. That's pretentious. Especially since it's undeservedly claimed.
Compare this to minecraft which wasn't claimed to be anything other than a fun little blocky sandbox. Alpha released as well, where users could follow the development and even comment on the developers experimentations. Sure Notch may be an obnoxious dude due to the success of minecraft, and he himself might be considered a pretentious person. However, minecraft isn't.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Pretentious [prɪˈtɛnʃəs] adj. Making claim to distinction or importance, esp undeservedly.

Like Molyneux always claim that his games will change how people play, interact for ever. Or how stories are presented forever. He himself claims that his games are god's gift to mankind. That's pretentious. Especially since it's undeservedly claimed.
Compare this to minecraft which wasn't claimed to be anything other than a fun little blocky sandbox. Alpha released as well, where users could follow the development and even comment on the developers experimentations. Sure Notch may be an obnoxious dude due to the success of minecraft, and he himself might be considered a pretentious person. However, minecraft isn't.

So Molyneux is pretentious, not the games.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
So Molyneux is pretentious, not the games.

Molyneux claims that his GAMES are groundbreaking, will change the world forever etc. while they're not.
Notch did not claim that his game is something like that.

Notch acts like he himself is important. He's not. He's pretentious.
Molyneux, I don't know? He claim his games are. they're pretentious.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
Molyneux claims that his GAMES are groundbreaking, will change the world forever etc. while they're not.
Notch did not claim that his game is something like that.

Notch acts like he himself is important. He's not. He's pretentious.
Molyneux, I don't know? He claim his games are. they're pretentious.
Yes this. And I think Molyneux is as good of an example as you're going to get. You can't really get a pretentious game as such. More about the way it's publicised and what it has been pumped up to be.

Reactions: Issac

mechadylan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Blazing Dragons. The cartoon series that it was based on was apparently too raunchy for American television at the time and chock full o' British humour. Terry Jones provided voices and ideas for the game so it was inevitable that you couldn't find a review of the game that didn't mention Monty Python and all things related. There was so much "campy" hype for this game that I think I convinced myself that it was funny because it was so un-funny. In the end, you had an overly-simplistic "point-and-clicker" riddled with horrible one-liners being spat out by pompous comedians trying to cash in "one last time." Years later in an interview, Harry Shearer even said that the game wasn't very good at all, but explained that they never really took the project very serious.

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why do people hate on Notch so much? He developed one half-finished game and made fucking millions off of it in less then 7 years.

Shit, he deserves to be pretentious.

The World Ends With You.
I know it's popular on forums like this but it's so ham handedly desperate to sound smart. Every convo with that older guy is such forced "that's deep man."

Who the fuck says TWEWY is deep? Its called fucking mood and theme. Hell if you ask me the story was alright, but what did it for me was the way it was told, not to mention the game had legitimately fun gameplay.

lakota64

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The problem with forum threads like these is people seem to take other people's opinions that are the opposite of their own like an insult to themselves.
Everyone has an opinion, Not everybody will agree with it.
For instance: I strongly disagree with a lot of people who think the indie game the movie guys are pretentious. What people see is only what is on the movie, and what is on the internet.
You can't truly call someone pretentious if you don't know them in person.
My personal experiences with The guys from indie game the movie have been great, and they definitely do not seem pretentious about what they make.
But then again, that's my personal experience and opinion so it does not even matter since this is the internet.

I think everyone (Including me) needs to stop taking everything personal and remember that this is the internet, and there is nothing wrong with a good argument.

Anyway, back to the topic.

I would have to say Mass Effect 2 even though i had a great time playing it.

Reactions: UltraHurricane

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill