• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

The media is creating mass hysteria over the Coronavirus.

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 44,861
  • Replies 504
  • Likes 9

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
On average: Six days until first symptoms, another five days until first test, and and additional five days to death (if you die from it). Mean time infected people stayed at hospitals in China was around 10 days.

So the recovered curve shouldnt lag by more than 5 days. Tripple that for good measure. 15 days. If you see the curves diverging in exponentiality for more than that - something else is up. :) (Unequal test distribution,..).
--

Also Poland and the Czech Republic went the nationalistic route and confiscated 700.000 masks that china sent for usage in Italy, as well as thousands of intubation/respirator devices.

May your children live a long and prosper life.

Those where their institutions in action.

edit: This article has confirmation, that in italy currently only people with severe symptoms are tested for the virus ( https://www.derstandard.at/story/2000116034673/italien-erhoeht-den-druck-um-trendumkehr-zu-erreichen ) (German). Means unequal distribution of tests.

Last edited by notimp,

LumInvader

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good points, notimp.

Covid-19's mortality rate is indeed inflated due to the reasons stated (I did make the same point earlier), although I'd argue that the raw data, which includes recovered patients, isn't useless and shows how much stress the healthcare systems are under and the success rate of said healthcare systems within a range of stress factors. This data will prove especially useful during the next wave, which should underscore improvements due to the increased availability of test kits, improved treatments, and improved preparedness of both the hospitals and governments.

I'd also add that this topic originally appeared aimed at downplaying the risk; the raw data serves it's purpose as a counterpoint highlighting the danger of covid-19 to both individuals and society as a whole. It's definitely not another flu -- it's a pandemic and should be treated as such.

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@Boesy it's been about 2 weeks since you created the topic, just wondering if you have changed your opinion and think it's something to take serious now? I'm finding it hard to find too much fault in the media for this one, if anything they are the only ones holding the governments accountable and asking the tough questions (at least from what I've seen in UK/US broadcasts). I'd like to see them push even harder since in my opinion the so called leaders have been caught with their pants down and have a lot to answer for.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
harvey weinstein tests positive and how did he get it ? He was in prison.
It's certainly a weird case, but not an impossible one. He got sentenced the 11th; incubation time is up to 14 days (though it averages at around five). So he might have gotten it just before.

It's more likely that he got it from within the prison, though. Meaning: just exactly whom is tested in that place? :unsure:

Attacker3

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The biggest issue with all of this is that The Fed ran out of ways to deal with the economic impacts really quick. There is nothing the federal reserve can do now to offset the current state of the markets. The reason why a stimulus package is needed now is because interest rates have been set to 0% by the fed. That is how they to manipulate the economy, by lowering interest rates on short term loans. It's at 0%, they can't do anything now.

Tac 21

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The biggest issue with all of this is that The Fed ran out of ways to deal with the economic impacts really quick. There is nothing the federal reserve can do now to offset the current state of the markets. The reason why a stimulus package is needed now is because interest rates have been set to 0% by the fed. That is how they to manipulate the economy, by lowering interest rates on short term loans. It's at 0%, they can't do anything now.

one wonders if this was part of a ploy by the Chinese or an outside force...

and to think, HEALTHCARE was USAs number 1 pressing issue.

well I'd take it seriously, I also think the media isn't helping by reporting only shocking bad news. Media is just eating this shit up when the entire WORLD has NEVER come together like this before via science community to work on understanding Covid and brining a vaccine/anti body we can all use

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Someone asked in here why case numbers in Japan where so low. Turns out they didnt enact harsh measures early, they just very good at mask usage (societally), following rules (social distancing, self isolating - when symptoms show), and not shaking hands.

Also testing there also is mostly done on people with harsh symptoms, so also not equally distributed.

(News article in a local paper.)

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
one wonders if this was part of a ploy by the Chinese or an outside force...

and to think, HEALTHCARE was USAs number 1 pressing issue.

well I'd take it seriously, I also think the media isn't helping by reporting only shocking bad news. Media is just eating this shit up when the entire WORLD has NEVER come together like this before via science community to work on understanding Covid and brining a vaccine/anti body we can all use
If media was only reporting fluffy cloud news mostly you would ignore and not read it. Media bashing is the new "I'm with stupid" tshirt with an arrow pointing at yourself. It basically is you shouting very loud "I dont know how news works, I dont know how to select 'quality' sources, I havent read a newspaper in my life, and I am unable to reduce sensationalism by a flat factor of 30%, so they can attract other users via sensationalism, while still keeping me informed". Also "I have had no higher education, whatsoever."

Its basically you surrendering to yourself, telling everyone - its so hard reading this stuff, I'm so glad the far right gave me an excuse to still be uninformed and only fall for sensationalism, but now hate media and not me for not getting better educated. I'm Billy Bob.

And everyone that tells you you are an idiot, now automatically is a 'political opponent' so you dont have to change behavior or believes.

Its a trap. Its a scam. But because consuming media that isnt TV news to most people sounds like work, so they love to hate on media.

You could bash it all day - if you'd come up with something better. But to only pronounce, they are so bad - make them go away, and thereby hurting your own education and knowledgebase , takes a very special kind of person.

*You are so dumb uttered 20 times in a row.*

Now to address your other questions.

US while having the lousiest health care system for ordinary citizens in any country in the developed world - is not so much worried about epidemic outbreaks because of population density. If you are a very densly populated country you need to afford a better healthcare system for the entire public, the US does not. I'll make sure, that we take a look at the death numbers to overall population at the end of the year, witch should show the US only as minorly affected. As you also can see currently - your statewide measures are 'jack sh*t' because of that very (or at least similar) logic. In big cities in the US - an entire different logic is applied (much harsher measures.).

The US are basically in an almost unique position to be able to afford lousy healthcare - even with ongoing pandemics, because - ha ha, they dont spread so fast there. Otherwise you'd already have a better health care system. (How do you think, that this came to be historically?)

Also following your logic, of everyone that tells me to read is my enemy and in the wrong political party, you can be very proud, because mostly regions with an inbuilt strong democratic base (large cities) are most effected. Billy Bob in the backswamps doesnt get nearly as high odds of getting it fast. (Measures are employed so people get it slower).

So I have to conclude, if you are evil genius that wants to f*ck over the US by virus outbreak, because its too nationalistic, please start releasing the virus in the US next time (currently its one of the countries thats affected last, which should also help because of summer slowing down virus progression (more people outdoors), thereby also affected least).

As far as "the world never having come together like this" in developing a cure goes - thats entirely bullshit. The science community always was international, there hasnt been one additional international large scale project being founded short term because of this, and vaccine development goes on in many disperate places around the world, with everyone just sharing basic data (as science does). For all you care, china only shared RNA sequencing. You dont want their masks, you dont want their incubators, you dont even want the WHO tests, you developed those yourself (cost saving measures).

So maybe, in a future life - stop being such a dumbbell. Maybe try picking up media you pay for first - before complaining about what shows up in your facebook feeds and try to better that by extinguishing media entirely.

Idiot.

Of course it is entirely impossible to tell you something like this on facebook, the tik tok, or insta - because a post like this has now staying power there. In three hours its gone. As where in a forum (of a smaller size), we can all marvel for days about people like you self harming, putting crude theories on display (I'd have to lie if I'd say that I havent thought about this on my own before - because knowing 'the enemy' gives humans such a great sense of understanding (having mastery over) the world they live in ("Daddy, why does god exist?")), and then not wanting to be confronted with it a week down the road.

So this is your friendly reminder, that on forums - we can have public noticeboards with 'Billy Bob is a moron' stories on it, that last for weeks. (If people like morvorvan dont come a long an make this place a living nightmare, by so much compacted idiocy trolling, that self correction measures collaps, because no one wants to deal with it anymore.).

edit: To your defense. There is a way for you to still be 'somewhat correct'. If - at the end of all of this (lets say by summer of next year), death toll has still not exceeded lets say 200.000 people. News coverage would have been 'way out of proportion', and 'psychologic effects' would maybe have been what you could pronounce the 'most impactful outcome'. What may result because of them, you might not like politically. I dont know, speculation. Which also means, there is no 'obvious' direct path to any projected political outcome, because of this.

This logic has another problem. We might have gotten to that point, by employing behavior changes (curfews, self isolation, washing hands...) so to get there, we would have needed media sensationalism so people would start to learn about it.

Thats of course if you don't think the entire thing is a hoax. Which - newsflash - it isnt. (Or the virus would have an in built expiration date, which if I would design such a thing as an evil genius.. ;) )

Btw by all expert opinions that I have heard, this thing really crossed over from a bat (you can see that in its RNA (think DNA) structure). Bats being such an ideal place for viruses to mutate and become 'stronger' because they have an almost uniquely strong immune system.
(see: https://www.sciencenews.org/article/bats-immune-system-viruses-ebola-marburg-people )

Conspiracy theory is more fun though.

Last edited by notimp,

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Exactly. ;)

I put in a part at the end, where you could still be somewhat correct. ;)

Just to prevent that response.. ;) (Learn something for once in your life, for Joshs (what?) sake.).

edit:

May have misrepresented one set of figures in here before.

Hospitalization rate is at around 13%.
Critical case rate (need for intensive care) is at around 5 %.

I think I might have conflated those two in here before.

Last edited by notimp,

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
New Paradigm.

This stuff will change in the future (according to a center right german economics talking piece.. ;) )

- more money will be invested to get strategically important pharma industry nationalized
- everyone will earn less (lower working hours work arrangements, so more people can be kept in work) for a while, so current middle class will pay for it, in the US this is harder to implement (state is basically guaranteeing job security by making payments to industry - is paying social security, but people are not 'officially' out of work, money for that comes from the middle classes/future generations (credit)) More home office in industries that can use it (*blahba*).

For our climate change friends:
- international personal travel (not wares) will be heavily reduced/minimized ("this is what spread it so fast!")
- Most concepts that banked on 'mass transport infrastructures' might be downranked in importance (future of mobility)

- PR is needed to tell people, that rural is beautiful, and we'd like to move our citizens back to farms again, and have them plant subsidized trees for living.

Hate almost all of that. But - oh well...

edit: Industries least (edit: negatively) affected by the corona outbreak are interesting as well:
- Property and real estate
- Energy, water, sewage and garbage/recycling
- Pharma
- Woodcraft, ceramics, plastics
- Information & Communication

Welcome to your future world. ;)

edit: Also interestingly the public sector might become less important (less tax income to use on the sector for a while).

Last edited by notimp,

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Actually, sewage is complaining of blockages due to people flushing more wet wipes with toilet paper shortage.
Yeah, we dont have that problem in germany.. ;)

(Also - great, more work (need) for them. You wont give up sewage as a result, wont you? ;) )

Last edited by notimp,

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's certainly a weird case, but not an impossible one. He got sentenced the 11th; incubation time is up to 14 days (though it averages at around five). So he might have gotten it just before.

It's more likely that he got it from within the prison, though. Meaning: just exactly whom is tested in that place? :unsure:

That's likely possible.

Yeah, good question. :wacko::unsure:

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wUlTJMq.jpg

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Veho @ Veho: https://imgur.com/gallery/QQkYnQu