ROM Hack RELEASE The Legend of Heroes: Trails To Azure Kai - Complete English & Partial Japanese patch + QoL patches

xXSoulGeoXx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Nicaragua
1.1.2 Update
  • Fix crashes on the finale of the game (thanks to Zakaria)
  • Fix car color change text overflowing with checkmark icon (using now monospaced space to get correct width)
  • Fix promotion equipment reward text being centered incorrectly to the left causing it to be outside the box
  • Fixed enemy names overflowing by shrinking them horizontally when too long (like chapter 3 description on save menu)
  • Fixed missing exclamation marks on certain parts of the game.
  • Fixed a few typos on the additional dialogue.
Sorry it took so long, I needed a break from this and I was kinda burnt out. Anyways, the game can be finally played from start to end without crashes nor major gameplay/visual issues, so considering that and the fact that this release will eventually be superseeded, this will be the last release. I also noticed that text corrections were submitted last week as well, so I won't be able to forward any corrections for the Kai text anymore (I couldn't find any more errors myself though, the text doesn't seem to have any more errors).

I won't be updating Zero, there's only minimal text stuff left that's not worth updating for.

Download link (also updated main thread):
https://www.mediafire.com/file/bdqb...re_Kai_-_English_Switch_Patch_v1.1.2.zip/file

There a problem with this file
as it seems its broken

could you check if your file is okay and reuopload it?

thanks for the patch by the way, Geofront did a great job and its amazing we get to enjoy their work on the Switch ports as well

masagrator

The patches guy
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I would rather they relax and work on Hajimari that comes out in the next 2 or 3 weeks instead of Cold Steel 1 & 2 re-re-release.
Continuing this topic.
Some group wanted to port overlay English translation to mod for Asia Steam of Hajimari (so replacing files instead of overlay) and they got C&D from NiSA. So you ate risking into legal troubles with touching English translation for Hajimari. :P

https://www.reddit.com/r/Falcom/com..._the/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Last edited by masagrator,

xXSoulGeoXx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Nicaragua
Could you elaborate?
I downloaded the recent update to the patch of this Switch Port
and everytime I try to open it with 7-Zip it tells me the file is corrupt
I still have the previous version backed up so I have no problems
but would love to update it myself to be free of the crashes on the previous patch

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Continuing this topic.
Some group wanted to port overlay English translation to mod for Asia Steam of Hajimari (so replacing files instead of overlay) and they got C&D from NiSA. So you ate risking into legal troubles with touching English translation for Hajimari. :P

https://www.reddit.com/r/Falcom/com..._the/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

it doesn't seem to affect the overlay application from what I know
the problem came from another group that wanted to create a full patch for Hajimari ( or Trails Of Reveire as it is localized by NISA )

the first one has been around before the game was announced to be localized by NIS, while the other project is a patch like the ones Geofront created for Zero and Ao ( which they took down when they announced they were working with NISA on the localization )

English patches could continue to exist, its mostly depends on how they are done in my honest opinion

Kirby567fan

Trophies
XP
Country
Morocco
I downloaded the recent update to the patch of this Switch Port
and everytime I try to open it with 7-Zip it tells me the file is corrupt
I still have the previous version backed up so I have no problems
but would love to update it myself to be free of the crashes on the previous patch

it doesn't seem to affect the overlay application from what I know
the problem came from another group that wanted to create a full patch for Hajimari ( or Trails Of Reveire as it is localized by NISA )

the first one has been around before the game was announced to be localized by NIS, while the other project is a patch like the ones Geofront created for Zero and Ao ( which they took down when they announced they were working with NISA on the localization )

English patches could continue to exist, its mostly depends on how they are done in my honest opinion
I just downloaded the file and it opens and extracts correctly using 7-Zip and WinRAR.
So make sure to redownload the file as it seems like your download was corrupted(probably due to some downloading shenanigans).

xXSoulGeoXx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Nicaragua
I just downloaded the file and it opens and extracts correctly using 7-Zip and WinRAR.
So make sure to redownload the file as it seems like your download was corrupted(probably due to some downloading shenanigans).
gotta try
but its weird
I have a great internet connection myself and the file is not that big to be honest ( download completes in just 4 to 2 minutes for myself )

Edit:
so, I downloaded it again, still can open the file for some reason
and my internet is working well ( currently downloading Starlink from Ubisoft Connect even )

Attachments

• dsgsddsgsgs.PNG
    dsgsddsgsgs.PNG
    378.2 KB · Views: 117
Last edited by xXSoulGeoXx,

Kirby567fan

Trophies
XP
Country
Morocco
gotta try
but its weird
I have a great internet connection myself and the file is not that big to be honest ( download completes in just 4 to 2 minutes for myself )

Edit:
so, I downloaded it again, still can open the file for some reason
and my internet is working well ( currently downloading Starlink from Ubisoft Connect even )
Can you try to open it using something else(f.e WinRAR)?

xXSoulGeoXx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Nicaragua
Can you try to open it using something else(f.e WinRAR)?
it should open though
the previous version opened fine with 7-Zip, and I downloaded an English Patch for Yokai Watch 1 for Switch here as well ( which opened fine )
also checked the zip folder for Zero No Kiseki and it opens for me

its just this newest upload that says its corrupt

So.....I think I solved it by opening the file within 7-Zip
though its weird it doesnt open when I double-click on it though
its the first time it happens to me

Reactions: Kirby567fan

Crashdummyy

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hey there.
Is this Patch still working?

Im on 13.1.0 with AMS 1.2.4
The Game used to Work but now I immediately get some crash upon booting the Game

wluigi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hey there.
Is this Patch still working?

Im on 13.1.0 with AMS 1.2.4
The Game used to Work but now I immediately get some crash upon booting the Game
It also crashed for me. I deleted the game and the patch and uninstalled everything and it worked.

masagrator

The patches guy
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It also crashed for me. I deleted the game and the patch and uninstalled everything and it worked.
Possible race condition issues with newer Atmosphere versions. I was thinking that Atmosphere changed code to bring back old timing for race condition, but maybe it's not enough and plugin needs tweaks.

Crashdummyy

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Huh tried that and it still panics.
I tried on all my SDs.
Youre on 13.1 with 1.2.4, too ?
I use Eidzon-SE for 60fps cheats, maybe that causes an issue as well ( the author mentioned something about he had to do some hacky stuff to subscribe/attach to dmnt )

Possible race condition issues with newer Atmosphere versions. I was thinking that Atmosphere changed code to bring back old timing for race condition, but maybe it's not enough and plugin needs tweaks.
RaceConditions seems very likely... They really love me ( Bye test parallelization )

Crashdummyy

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Okay the Problem was tue edizon overlay.
Or to be more precise the process of loading the Cheats.
Edition cant attach to dmnt with this Patch applied ( Tom can Tell you why ).

I guess it is a Race condition in which edizon ist faster which in consequence prevents the Patch Form hijacking dmnt

aofelix

Trophies
XP
Country

This patch adds in English support (provided by The Geofront's release of their PC mod) and partial Japanese support to CLE's release of Ao no Kiseki Kai for the Nintendo Switch.
You need a modded switch with custom firmware (preferably Atmosphere).

Largely based on the work in Zero, this comes with the same quality of life features and other patches, some specifically for Azure, to implement proper, complete English support.
  • Dialog boxes scale correctly where they do on PC
  • Complete translation of Executable strings
  • Cuprum font with proper variable width font support
  • Various text alignment/size fixes across the executable
  • Various patches to correct icon positions, backstory and notebook items to properly match English text.
  • PNG/WebP texture support, for loading the Geofront's assets
  • Localized map assets
It also features a few quality of life patches:
  • Dynamic GPU clock feature, made by Zakaria, allowing the game to maintain 60FPS most of the time in cases where it usually lagged by slightly boosting the GPU clock when needed, the average gain being around 10FPS. This uses the same functionality that some retail games use (eg. Doom Eternal), so it's completely safe (Note that this only affects portable mode and that it doesn't guarantee a locked 60FPS at all time since the vanilla game dropped to even 40FPS in some cases).
  • Better map textures from the Joyoland PC version

The game will now also load in Japanese (present but unused in the game) if your console is set to Japanese, but it's only partially supported, mostly for reference purposes, as some files are missing in japanese and may fall back to chinese assets (eg. op/ed video) or not load at all.

Thorough list of patches (technical)
ENGLISH SUPPORT:
  • Hook game language settings to force Japanese/"English" mode.
  • Redirect asset loading to data_en and data folders on English mode
  • Replace executable string array with english text.
  • Hook some other functions that pass on unlocalized strings to replace them (done by Zakaria).
  • Elemental efficiency bar in Combat notebook hooked so it looks like The Geofront's PC version.
  • Fix percentage sign rendering on Camp Menu
  • Fix X/Y offsets of battle tutorial icons
  • Adjust X/Y offsets of detective report screen texts.
  • Align Recipes owned and Species Caught on Recipe/Fishing books

TEXT RENDERING PATCHES
  • Variable width font patches across multiple parts of the game. The Geofront patch is made with Cuprum in mind, this font is provided with the patch as well.
  • Dynamic dialog box size is now calculated correctly.
  • Fixed width windows are now horizontaly-scaled similarly to the PC version, to fit the english text with these in mind.
  • Fix book text rendering.
  • Fix the right column's horizontal offset of the extra mode unlock/points section to prevent text from overflowing.
  • Align save descriptions on the save menu to the right edge of the box to prevent them from overflowing. If that's not enough (eg. Chapter 2), the patch will shrink the font to make it fit.
  • Set offsets of some notebook texts correctly to account for english texts.
  • Push Support Request names to the right to prevent overflow
  • Fix centering and window sizes on Backstory menu
  • Fix "Change View" text going outside of the screen on Orbment menu.
  • Change "Not for sale" text X offset when trying to sell unsellable items (eg. event items, etc.).
  • Change X offset of request status on detective notebook to prevent overlapping with request names.

IMAGE LOADER
  • Implement WebP/PNG texture loader. Due to slow SD read speeds, WebP is slightly faster as it loads the encoded webp image into memory faster and decoding the rest is faster than reading a decoded image.
  • Activate CPU boost on certain functions to improve decoding of such textures.
  • Because of limitations (texture creation subroutines being aggresively inlined/optimized, preventing me from either hooking a single function or reimplementing it trivially), a dummy ITP with the same resolution of the inserted textures must be provided. These are included with the patch.
  • Game's file memory cache system is used to always try to maintain the dummy ITPs on memory.

OTHER PATCHES
  • Activate CPU boost on some loading screens for slight load time improvements.
  • Dynamic GPU clock when FPS falls below 60fps.
  • Replaced JP/TC/KR built-in save opcode pointer fix with proper offsets for English scenario files to fix the infamous black save chapters bug.

SCENARIO
  • Rebuilt using proper semi-automated text re-insertion and rebuilding through EDDecompiler.
  • Crossbell Library's script ported (again) instead from PC instead of reinserted due to significant amount of changes.

Downloads:
Patch: Link

Source code (only for developers that want to take a look at the code, not needed for playing with the patch):
https://github.com/AGraber/ed7hook_switch

Info:
Only the 1.0.1 version of the game is supported.

Installation instructions for the patch are available in the README file inside the zip file.
While this patch may work for other custom firmwares, only Atmosphere is officially supported.

As with the previous patch, a lot of work was put to making this the best version of Azure for the Switch out there. The bugs around this time were less interesting (since most of them were Zero stuff or things that I already got the hang of) and more tiresome to patch, but here it is nonetheless. This time I don't have much to say except that I'm grateful for all the bug reporting and feedback I got with the previous patch. I hope you guys enjoy it.

Special thanks to:
  • Zakaria for providing additional programming and graphics editing for the Switch patch, and testing the patch thoroughly, and providing some finishing touches to the title screen.
  • jess.exe for making the new title screen with Marco Ruggiero's logo.
  • @Shenrai for additional testing and bug reporting
  • TommyB (@tombly) for additional testing of the patch and some advice.
  • The Skyline Project for their code patching framework, and Shadów for initially assisting me with it.
  • The Geofront for their amazing localization of the game.
  • devkitPro for their Switch toolchain and portlibs, specifically libwebp

Can I import my save file from PC to this version of the game? Please say yes and how.

masagrator

The patches guy
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I was a tester for both patches of the Crossbell arc and I'll be heading the efforts to create an English patch for the new Cold Steel 1 port this time around. In theory, it should be easier to do since the game has actually been officially localized and the English script files aren't based off of a completely different variant of the game.

I've used a mix of files from the PS4 and PC versions and currently have the entire scenario and most non-scenario implemented. There's still some kinks to iron out, though. Texture replacements completely crash the game. As a result, battle UI graphics are entirely in Japanese and can't currently be replaced with English assets. There's also some spacing issues with various UI strings. English voice acting is also another issue entirely. Due to these issues, I'm not quite ready to toss up a topic or a release just yet. I'll do so when I'm confident in a release that's as stable as I can reasonably make it. :)

Here's two early pics in the meantime.

2021.07.08_062704.jpg

2021.07.08_064157.jpg
This project is still active? Since I have currently nothing to do (i will have in 3 weeks and after completing it rest of 2022 is free), I want to help with finishing this project. DM me on Discord if you are interested.

masagrator

The patches guy
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
So for people interested in Cold Steel 1 and 2 translation.
Starting with Cold Steel 1:
Took the main job of porting translation.
- Files from PC are not fully compatible with Switch version.

- Scripts and tbl files from PC and Switch are now fully decompiled and I am able to compile them back with my scripts based on SenScriptsDecompiler and Decompiler2 from Ouroboros (none of them are fully compatible with Switch scripts).
Ported whole translation to decompiled Switch scripts and compiled them back. Few japanese lines needs clarification since they were slightly changed comparing to PC Japanese files. tbl files needs additional work since PC version doesn't have text lines related to Achievements (aka "RECORD" menu) and High Speed mode.

- Wrote my own script for unpacking and packing pack dds.phyre + png.phyre textures. Switch textures have higher resolution than Steam release and they store slightly more data in atlases, so I will be using PS4 textures.

- Skyline plugin will be used to fix some text concatenation + everything else that will come out through tests

And as I said before, I am not interested in porting English dub. If you will figure out how to convert into *.dspadpcm.bfstm files, adding new voice files is relatively easy.
Each voice opcode has id like "23334". It's stored in script as uint32.
Voice file for this is stored in romfs/sound/stream as "e8v23334.dspadpcm.bfstm". You don't need to add any additional information, file name is created and loaded by executable. Additional voice files that don't exist in Japan language have ID >60000
Of course you need to edit scripts to add info about voice files back.

I am not planning to release anything publicly until I will know that you can finish game without any crash.

I can accept one tester when everything will be ready for tests, but it must be someone who has time and will finish it in around 1-2 months, and is not a total random for me. Tests will start not before beginning of March.

Last edited by masagrator,

dpozzolo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
So for people interested in Cold Steel 1 and 2 translation.
Took the main job of porting translation.
- Files from PC are not fully compatible with Switch version.

- Scripts and tbl files from PC and Switch are now fully decompiled and I am able to compile them back with my scripts based on SenScriptsDecompiler and Decompiler2 from Ouroboros (none of them are fully compatible with Switch scripts).
Ported whole translation to decompiled Switch scripts and compiled them back. Few japanese lines needs clarification since they were slightly changed comparing to PC Japanese files. tbl files needs additional work since PC version doesn't have text lines related to Achievements (aka "RECORD" menu) and High Speed mode.

- Wrote my own script for unpacking and packing pack dds.phyre + png.phyre textures. Switch textures have higher resolution than Steam release and they store slightly more data in atlases, so I will be using PS4 textures.

- Skyline plugin will be used to fix some text concatenation + everything else that will come out through tests

And as I said before, I am not interested in porting English dub. If you will figure out how to convert into *.dspadpcm.bfstm files, adding new voice files is relatively easy.
Each voice opcode has id like "23334". It's stored in script as uint32.
Voice file for this is stored in romfs/sound/stream as "e8v23334.dspadpcm.bfstm". You don't need to add any additional information, file name is created and loaded by executable. Additional voice files that don't exist in Japan language have ID >60000
Of course you need to edit scripts to add info about voice files back.

I am not planning to release anything publicly until I will know that you can finish game without any crash.

I can accept one tester when everything will be ready for tests, but it must be someone who has time and will finish it in around 1-2 months, and is not a total random for me. Tests will start not before beginning of March.
Wow!

I almost lost hope, tks!

Uufortunely I don't think iIm qualified for testing, I'm not with much time availeble lately, but I'm hoping everything goes well. Thanks again, I'm looking forward to it.

wluigi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Awesome! I have the time but I'm not sure I could be considered known but it's fine. I'll wait, just glad to have this

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Sup