1. Xzi

Xzi GBAtemp's Resident Plok Expert

United States
    The first one at least seemed to combine two of my most disliked things in gaming, which are that it's a console-exclusive shooter (eww auto-aim), and that much of it involves walking from one cutscene (with zero player interaction) to the next. I've heard that Part 2 is more interactive, but that just shifts more of the focus on to shooty bits with a controller, so either way it probably wasn't going to win me over.

As for inclusiveness, I have no issue there as long as characters are well-written and not one-dimensional. Which should always be the case for all characters in heavily story-driven games anyway.

2. shaunj66

shaunj66 GBAtemp Administrator
    Administrator

United Kingdom
    That's fair enough. I actually meant in regards to the review-bombing and hate campaign this game has against it rather than just general dislike. I'd agree that if you don't like console shooters and linear games with a lot of walking from one place to the next, this probably isn't the game for you.

Xzi likes this.
  3. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...
    Global Moderator

Poland
    People have big problems with the DMCA campaign, the apparently appalling work conditions, the pandering and Neil Druckmann himself, but I like to disassociate the artist from the art myself. Apparently Druckmann is a genuinely unpleasant person, and judging by his public statements I tend to agree, so I can see why people would be combative towards him and his products. There's also a strictly story-related reason why they are review bombing the game, they treat it as a slap to the face and a rejection of what the original game represented in the pursuit of a moral lesson that doesn't quite hold. It's a multifaceted issue, but I'm sure everything will balance out in time. It's just a video game, people will get over it and jump on something else to brigade against. I myself have some issues with the game, but as I've said previously, I can't deny that the game is good - it is, and I'm enjoying it a lot.

Silent_Gunner and ChaosEternal like this.
  4. Xzi

United States
    Yeah, that's based on nothing but pure idiocy. What these people don't realize is that, by suggesting the inclusion of LGBTQ+ characters somehow makes things "political," they're suggesting all straight white males included in games also make things political. You choose your political affiliation. You don't choose your sexual orientation or the gender you most identify with. Acknowledging that a group of people exists and has the right to exist has fuck all to do with politics, it's basic human decency. Some peoples' mamas just didn't raise 'em right.

Last edited by Xzi, Jun 28, 2020
    IncredulousP and shaunj66 like this.
  5. ZoNtendo

ZoNtendo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

imagine the sales if the game was good

IncredulousP likes this.
  6. leon315

leon315 POWERLIFTER

Italy
    I give gameplay 8/10
    Plot and screenscript 0/10

Plus me and other rage people would Offer Neil Dickmann and Anita Sarkeesian to SATAN in exchange of Joel's life.
    :nayps3: :gun::gun::gun:

Last edited by shaunj66, Jun 28, 2020 - Reason: Unmarked spoilers
    SolidMario7 likes this.
  7. ChaosEternal

ChaosEternal GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Besides the very questionable review embargo practices, I've read that the game is ridiculously brutal and not necessarily in a good way. More like in a Hatred way, if anyone remembers that game. I don't really have any thoughts on it myself as I don't tend to play games released within the last 5-10 years, but those are some of the concerns I've seen.

8. Goku1992A

Goku1992A GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Game sold 4 million copies yes however it got poor reviews. The main thing people have complained about was the story... I pretty much figured this game was going to have bad reviews. 2.5 User Review is really bad but this is a great thing for me because I will be buying the game when it is $20 (LGBT) had alot to do with alot of guys not liking it and some guys aren't really interested in Ellie love story. I personally feel if it wasn't LGBT this game would have gotten higher reviews but due to some guys being anti LBGT this game will always have a poor user review.

9. ChaosEternal

ChaosEternal GBAtemp Fan

United States
    If it makes you feel any better, the critic reviews are probably a bit higher because of it, so it kind of balances out.

10. scroeffie1984

scroeffie1984 GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    played the first 1 4 times ! this second one was mehh dont care fun gameplay shooting sucks nothing more
    the gay love stuff dont care iam not anty gay but it does not work !

Last edited by Joe88, Jun 28, 2020 - Reason: Lets leave the spoilers out
  11. bbert

bbert Member
    Newcomer

Philippines
    I love the gameplay. looking forward how speedrunner will obliterate the game.

12. sawao_yama
    This message by sawao_yama has been removed from public view by DinohScene, Jun 28, 2020, Reason: Bickering.
    Jun 28, 2020 Show
  13. AaronUzumaki
    This message by AaronUzumaki has been removed from public view by Foxi4, Jun 28, 2020, Reason: Minor spoilers/explicit descriptions - tone it down a little.
    Jun 28, 2020 Show
  14. sawao_yama

sawao_yama Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Proof? Actual proof, not bs spouted from rumours.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

So you are anti-gay. Killed joe for gay gameplay, really? No wonder I avoid gbatemp like the plague, it is as bad as VGChartz.

Love these “conspiracy theories” keep coming up with them guys. Makes you guys look like Einstein here.

Didn’t have auto aim and didn’t realize this game was on rails. Last I checked my character didn’t move unless I you know, moved the buttons around. Geez, such idiocy to bring down a critically acclaimed game eh?

Anita didn’t work on this game, again stop spouting fake crap.

phil87 likes this.
  15. ita54

ita54 Member
    Newcomer

Gambia, The
    One retail copy ist my :)

16. SG854

SG854 If It Bleeds, We Can Kill It

Comoros
    But if you experience it first hand that just makes people claim that you see nay sayers Last of Us 2 still sold millions despite all the complaining, in the end they still win. It gives them the ok to keep making something like this.

The only way to prevent it being sold and them claiming they still made millions is to not experience it. To listen to reviews that complain so you won't support this game.

You can watch videos online and see the story and still say its bad. The leaks and full game story has been out for 2 months to watch a video of. So you can write a bad review within hours of the game releasing.

Last Jedi did well the first week but went down hill in sales after the first week after word of mouth went out.

Its a very hated trilogy. And goes against what people like about star wars. The fact that they shrunk the picture of Finn a black guy for the Chinese posters, then after claim they support black lives matter and fight for racial justice, makes them hypocritical. Did him a huge disservice by giving him a smaller role in the films when they could've done much more with him.

The fact that they screwed up the films and have to badly patch up all the bad choices they made, then claim that the movies turned out bad because they had no source material to base it off. Which is ridiculous! There's video games, books, comic books, so much decades of star wars lore to base the new trilogy off of.

Last edited by SG854, Jun 28, 2020
  17. eriol33

eriol33 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Indonesia
    wow, good thing squenix released FF7 remake before TLOU2, I could see the potential of the sales being disrupted because of TLOU2 release.

DarthDub and 64bitmodels like this.
  18. SG854

Comoros
    I've seen many videos explaining why the story is bad. The majority say the gameplay and graphics are good. What they complain about is the story.

The story just seems rushed, mismatched out of order mess. They kill a character then hours later give you a flash back on why you should care about the character, after you already forgotten about them, so when they died at the moment they did there is no weight to there deaths, just like any other npc you kill, and you are already past that hours later when they decide to give some stuff to make you care about them.

The second half when you control abby is just a bunch of stuff thrown together with no direction. Its a flash back within a flash back within a flashback, like its out of order. They give little development to the main characters, not side characters but main ones like Jessie, and Abby friends. Who the fuck is Manny? He's in the game for quit a bit. But the only thing you know about him is that he loves his dog and says Pendejo alot. When main characters die they completely forget about them, they are not bothered by their deaths, and never talk about them again like they never existed. Only a very few have development, like 2 characters.

SolidMario7 and CrossOut like this.
  19. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein There's hope for a Xenosaga port.

Germany
    Not sure what you mean.
    But TBH FF7 remake also disappointed me in the end, to me it's more like FF7 remake the interactive movie with bad writing akin to kingdom hearts... And I was so much wanting to love it, I feel as disappointed as with FFXV, no wait... I think I was too harsh with FFXV in comparison... argh, but FF7 remake sold a lot of copies, I don't know why there's success in games that disappoint me, perhaps I am the problem.

Last edited by sarkwalvein, Jun 28, 2020
  20. SG854

Comoros
    @shaunj66 And remember this is a game that was supposedly designed to make you care about the characters you kill, make you feel bad about killing them. Even just regular NPCs all have their own names and have short diologue about their families and friends to make you feel the weight of just a normal NPC. And the fact that main characters get little development, the ones that are suppose to get the most development, are hardly mentioned like their deaths meant nothing, main characters forget about them like they were wiped out of existence from the game itself after they get killed, its just bad writing.

21. Xzi

United States
    Just because you don't notice it doesn't mean auto-aim isn't present, console shooters would be nigh unplayable without it. And I never said it was on rails, I said what little freedom you do have is wasted walking from one cinematic to the next. Same issue I have with Quantic Dream games. At least give the player some meaningful choices to make during dialogue, like Persona games do.

These are simply my opinions, they aren't meant to "bring the game down." It's just not my jam, there's no need to get offended over that. It's not like I'm going around the internet writing 1/10 reviews for a game I've never played and likely don't intend to play. I'm perfectly fine with its success.

Last edited by Xzi, Jul 1, 2020
    IncredulousP and scroeffie1984 like this.
  22. leon315

leon315 POWERLIFTER

Italy
    oh yeah, are you sure about that? this will change ur idea. Our Neil Dickmann is deeply poisoned by Anita's. the Part 1 is a Masterpiece, a perfect balance between GREAT PLOT and GAMEPLAY, the Part II is a MadDog forcefully have you to eat their dogshit

Last edited by leon315, Jun 28, 2020
    SolidMario7, CrossOut and Justinde75 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - million, sells,