Review The Incredible Fake GBA from DealExtreme!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dekuleon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hey guys!

I bought this thing for my cousin, my uncle wanted a cheap portable console then I remembered of this bad boy from DealExtreme. Check this product on DealExtreme by clicking here!
Many people praise this device, they say it is very good, good quality and finish quality.

So I decided to buy one. For my surprise, it's very cool, very very cool!
It's exactly like one real GBA, but with Backlight Screen, rechargeable battery and Internal 2GB memory for ROMs.

It comes with one cable which you connect in the EXT port, that one used for Link Cable, and it connects to your PC by USB. The cable is proprietary, it could be an mini-usb port instead of this adaptor.

This console comes with an box wich is a clone of the real GBA box! It even says it uses 2x AA batteryes!

It comes with 498 built-in games, which ~100 games are GBA ROMs and the rest are NES games running by PocketNES emulator. It also comes with the Pokémon 2000 movie, which is so cool! LOL!

The screen aspect ratio is off, but just a little bit!

You can use GoombaColor to play GBC games, but you cant play real GBC game paks.

It isn't an GBA EMULATOR. It is one GBA clone in fact! Seems the chineses did reverse engineering on this!

The specs:

- 2GB internal memory for ROMs. Drag and Drop.
- Internal Battery for 3 Hours of gameplay.
- Screen with Backlight.
- Directly saves intro the internal memory.
- You can set the time in the GBA menu.
- Plays original GBA Game Paks too!

Copyed from the box:

1- A new generation high definition screen, colourful and clear image.
2- Improve control system, smooth and durable.
3- Built in direct save technology.
4- Built in clock supported for the seam convergence of clock games.
5- Built in real time save system.
6- Built in real time game guide.
7- Built in soft reset.
8- Built in multi languages.
9- Built in 2gb - 8gb FLASH.
10- Built in multimedia playback system.

Pros:

- Cool and nostalgic.
- Drag and Drop ROMs.
- Very loud and clear sound.
- Baterry.
- The screen is better than the screen of the NDS PHAT.
- Never miss gamesaves.
- It have a bank with screenshot of every GBA game, when you put a ROM inside it's memory, seems it'll check the ROM header and show the proper screenshot in the select game menu!

Thanks to the user thaddius:

- If you're using a real cart it won't save to the cart, just to the onboard memory, so there's no real point in the slot.
- It doesn't play GB\GBC games. (But you can emulate GB/GBC using GoombaColor.)
- It can't connect to other GBAs, other clone GBAs or a Gamecube\Wii.

Cons:

- The cable. If you damage it, you're lose.
- Very fragile USB cable.
- A lot of games don't run very good. But it's only the bad games...
- 3 Hours of battery? I doubt.
- The Link port doesn't work like it should work on a Real GBA!
- Mine came with virus inside the 2GB memory! Then I setted my PC to show hidden files so I could remove the virus inside the Mass Storage. It's a common virus which propagates by Mass Storage devices. It's wasn't the purpose of the chineses.
- Hard buttons. Clicking feel, not pressing feel like the Real GBA.
- Screen aspect raio is a little off.

Tips:

- Press Select + R to open the Save State and Soft Reset Menu.
- Press Select + Start when turning it on to acess the Formatting menu.
- You tryed to format from your PC and now you've got white screen? Try reformatting from GBA's Menu!
- If you have formatted your Console and losed the IMAGES folder (it wipes itself when you format by GBA's menu!) you can download a copy here, I uploaded the entire System Files: http://www.mediafire.com/?6p467o9kvlyo7rr

So guys, check out the pictures that I took. Click to enlarge!
Bye!

Also, check the review from the user Sterl500: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=212...t=0&start=0
and the super review from the user gibberish: http://obscurehandhelds.wordpress.com/2010...-advance-clone/

Reactions: SylverReZ

Delta517

Its okay...Im a ninja ;)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
Thats kinda awesome!
biggrin.gif

Not every fake thing is sh*t.
tongue.gif

Reactions: Anon10W1z

JohanX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's up with the "498 built in games" that DealExtreme says is included with the device? Are they pre-loaded ROMS or what?

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
TBH, I'm quite shocked that a company as (half-)respectable as DealExtreme are selling a device which comes with ~300 warez games on it. And I dunno, but I'm gonna guess that at least something in this device is illegal too, considering it can play original GBA game paks. Finally, you can probably find an ACTUAL GBA on ebay or the like for much less that that, and get a flash card and memory card, and get the same (or better) end effect for a fair bit less.

BTW, apparently they all have that virus thing on them. Just out of curiosity, can it dump the GBA game inserted or anything? I wonder if it'd be possible for homebrew to be written to use the internal memory of that thing...

JohanX said:
What's up with the "498 built in games" that DealExtreme says is included with the device? Are they pre-loaded ROMS or what?

Yup, they're warez. Apparently there are about 100 GBA games, and the rest are NES games, packaged into GBA ROMs with some GBA NES emulator.

dekuleon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
JohanX said:

Yes it comes, but only ~100 are GBA games, the rest are NES games emulated using pocketnes
tongue.gif

I removed everygame and puted mine games.

dekuleon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
SifJar said:
TBH, I'm quite shocked that a company as (half-)respectable as DealExtreme are selling a device which comes with ~300 warez games on it. And I dunno, but I'm gonna guess that at least something in this device is illegal too, considering it can play original GBA game paks. Finally, you can probably find an ACTUAL GBA on ebay or the like for much less that that, and get a flash card and memory card, and get the same (or better) end effect for a fair bit less.

BTW, apparently they all have that virus thing on them. Just out of curiosity, can it dump the GBA game inserted or anything? I wonder if it'd be possible for homebrew to be written to use the internal memory of that thing...

JohanX said:

Yup, they're warez. Apparently there are about 100 GBA games, and the rest are NES games, packaged into GBA ROMs with some GBA NES emulator.

Yeah man, every sticker, even the box is identicall to the real GBA!! The case quality too!

They reverse engineered the Hardware, which also is illegal.

But DX have a lot of other illegal things. It's a shame that they removed flashcards from the store, but now we can buy from http://www.volumerate.com and http://www.volumerates.com these sites are from DealExtreme. They're crazy!

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Out of interest, does anyone know anywhere its possible to buy a GBA flash card, preferably one which doesn't protrude out of the device, for example, the SuperCard Mini?

dekuleon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
SifJar said:
Out of interest, does anyone know anywhere its possible to buy a GBA flash card, preferably one which doesn't protrude out of the device, for example, the SuperCard Mini?

Heey I bought one SuperCard Mini-SD, that purple one which saves directly in the Mini-SD. It has the size of an GBA Game and I use it on my Nintendo DS Phat.
I bought from http://www.volumerates.com/ Link of the product here: http://www.volumerates.com/product/super-c...nsparent-purple

I bought mine about 1 month ago!! Works perfectly with Pokémon LeafGreen and Emerald. And many other ROMs.

In my opinion this is the best GBA/Slot-2 Flashcard, cuz you don't have to worry about the internal battery, since it saves directly to the Mini-SD like I sayd! You only need to patch the ROMs with the proper software which you can download on SuperCard's site, but this is very easy!

thaddius

Charmander is not pleased.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Umm... these are rather old.

Sterl500 made a thread about it back in March.

They are great though. I bought two.

How'd you get the battery cover off? They seem to use the same batteries as the GBA SP and I'm swimming in spares.

EDIT: To add to your cons though: if you're using a real cart it won't save to the cart, just to the onboard memory, so there's no real point in the slot; It doesn't play GB\C games; And It can't connect to other GBAs, other clone GBAs or a Gamecube\Wii.

dekuleon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
thaddius said:
How'd you get the battery cover off? They seem to use the same batteries as the GBA SP and I'm swimming in spares.

Just remove the sticker and under it you'll find one screw, just use one philips screwdriver to remove it.

Yes the battery is the same that GBA SP uses.

Well I didn't knew that someone has allready posted about this clone...
mellow.gif

amptor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Nice idea, but these cons outweigh it for me:

price
no GB/GBC compatibility (this is a big one for me)
limited to proprietary cable, can't just grab any old usb cable laying around.. shoddy construction of the cable itself
limited colors available. would be cool if they did that midnight transparent blue toys r us limited edition

Would be more cool for me if they offered the back light separate so I could build it into my GBA.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
amptor said:
Nice idea, but these cons outweigh it for me:

price
no GB/GBC compatibility (this is a big one for me)
limited to proprietary cable, can't just grab any old usb cable laying around.. shoddy construction of the cable itself
limited colors available. would be cool if they did that midnight transparent blue toys r us limited edition

Would be more cool for me if they offered the back light separate so I could build it into my GBA.
For what its worth, you can play GB/GBC games by using Goomba (Colour) to pack them into a GBA ROM. But I agree completely about the price. I did a little research, and a GBA on eBay costs ~£5, and a Supercard costs ~$15, which is ~£10, so for around £15 in total, you can get pretty much the same effect, minus the backlight. (BTW, in USD, that'd be around $24 at the current exchange rate IIRC), which is a fair bit less than the fake GBA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.