• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

The Illogicality of Jehovah's Witnesses

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I said the opposite then I would be basically saying that causes and effects could be traced down infinitely no matter how far you go back in time.
  1. This has been a good conversation so far, so please don't be disingenuous by ignoring the other possibilities I already listed. Infinite regress isn't the only option. How did you rule out the universe in the future causing itself in the past? How did you rule out the universe just not having or requiring a cause (by definition, we're talking about the formation of causality itself)?
  2. You're talking about infinite regress "no matter how far you go back in time," but we are potentially talking about the formation of time itself. If causality is a temporal property (it is), then it's ridiculous to talk about causality needing a cause or there being a time before time.
  3. Any reason you can give for why "God" doesn't require a first cause can also be applied to the universe or the natural processes that hypothetically caused the universe.

even then idk if it's utter nonsense haha
It's utter nonsense, and I've shown you how. In summary, the "first cause" argument doesn't demonstrate anything, and it doesn't solve any problems either. It only creates extra questions and extra problems.

Sure there are some reasonable answers against it as there are to any other argument. There it's one out of many. Skeptics could point ou flaws to any argument for that matter, and that's very good actually.
This isn't how logical reasoning works. An argument is either logically sound, or it isn't. An argument is either logically valid, or it isn't. There are plenty of arguments that are logically sound, and there are plenty of arguments that are logically valid. There's no such thing as a "first cause" argument I've heard that is logically sound or even logically valid. If you disagree with me, present a first cause argument that is logically sound.

My approach is evidently different than yours
I agree. My approach is to believe as many true things and as few false things as possible, so I require reason/evidence for my beliefs. Assuming you're a theist (I don't remember if you said you are), you apparently don't care if your beliefs are true, and you've suspended the need for reason/evidence for your beliefs. If you disagree, please provide evidence that a god exists.

as I'm not doing it for the pursuing of empirical evidence at all.
It isn't that you're just lacking empirical evidence for a god's existence. You are also lacking any sound reason to believe a god exists.

After all I think in these religions claims there are personal subjective experiences, these includes rational thoughts as well as feelings and whatnot (not comparable to anything besides a God concept). We can't simply disdain them, in fact everyone should give these issues deep thoughts sometime. I don't think we could get there just by knowledge.
I'm only interested in what's objectively true, not what people subjectively feel like is true in their imaginations.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah, that's like a synonym for hope or will. But there are more definitions of faith and that's what I was pointing out; one of them being the human faith that all of us even atheist put on practice when we learn things from others.
Are you referring to laziness/uncaring/going along with the status quo?

Some people will argue with their boss if they tell them to do something dumb, some people will just do it.

Neither of them may have faith in what their boss told them.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
  1. You're talking about infinite regress "no matter how far you go back in time," but we are potentially talking about the formation of time itself. If causality is a temporal property (it is), then it's ridiculous to talk about causality needing a cause or there being a time before time.
Both theists and atheists have a problem with before the start of time.

Atheists keep looking to science to explain it, but so far there is nothing.

Theists say "god did it" and move on, but it doesn't explain how god can exist outside our universe without time.

So if theists can rely on something (i.e god) outside our knowledge of the universe to create it, then why can't atheists?
We just haven't given it a name yet.

If time is an experience, then before the big bang there may have been some experience of time in a different universe.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Both theists and atheists have a problem with before the start of time.

Atheists keep looking to science to explain it, but so far there is nothing.

Theists say "god did it" and move on, but it doesn't explain how god can exist outside our universe without time.
The difference is skeptics acknowledge what they don't know, and theists make things up and believe claims they have no reason to think are true. I know which position is the intellectually honest and rational one.

So if theists can rely on something (i.e god) outside our knowledge of the universe to create it, then why can't atheists?
We just haven't given it a name yet.
Skeptics don't accept claims to be true without evidence. It would be irrational to do anything else.

If time is an experience, then before the big bang there may have been some experience of time in a different universe.
Maybe. Who knows?

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Skeptics don't accept claims to be true without evidence. It would be irrational to do anything else.
I'm not sure it's rational to validate every piece of evidence for everything you believe, you'd not get anything done. Considering where time came from has no benefit for the majority of people & there are no consequences for believing whatever you want.

Scientists also have to have some confidence that their theory might be true to spend years looking for evidence to support it.

But in either case, I'm not sure how much benefit there is to argue where time came from either. Unless you're trying to get funding, or are conducting research.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure it's rational to validate every piece of evidence for everything you believe, you'd not get anything done.
It's irrational to accept anything as true if you don't have sound reason or evidence to believe it's true, regardless of whether or not you've personally validated it.

& there are no consequences for believing whatever you want.
This is completely untrue. Even if a particular belief is inconsequential (theism isn't one that's inconsequential), allowing oneself to believe in something for bad reasons means you can believe anything for bad reasons, including consequential things.

People generally care if their beliefs are true, even if they don't admit it. People generally care, for example, if their belief about oncoming traffic is true before crossing the street. By making the criteria for belief "whatever you want to believe," you're contradicting the actual goal to believe true things and not false things.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
People generally care, for example, if their belief about oncoming traffic is true before crossing the street. By making the criteria for belief "whatever you want to believe," you're contradicting the actual goal to believe true things and not false things.
People believe things like "it will rain tomorrow" with no proof.

The consequence of that might be they cancel plans, but if those plans would involve a financial outlay with no financial reward then re-arranging based on your belief can be rational.

I don't see what consequence there is from believing that god created the universe.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People believe things like "it will rain tomorrow" with no proof.
People accept claims of weather probability with ample evidence, regardless of whether or not it actually rains.

I don't see what consequence there is from believing that god created the universe.
There can be plenty. As I and others have said in this thread, religion is one of the few things, if anything, that can make otherwise good people do bad things. For example, an otherwise good person might vote against LGBT rights because their church says "God said so." Wars have been fought over religion. Belief in an afterlife can cause people to treat people in ways they shouldn't or to not fix relationships with people because there's "always time to do that in the afterlife."

And, most importantly, irrational belief in anything (e.g. God) means you can believe anything irrationally.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
People accept claims of weather probability with ample evidence, regardless of whether or not it actually rains.
No, I mean people literally decide for themselves what they think the weather will be tomorrow. Not based on weather reports etc.

There are all manner of cognitive biases that affect this (like you are more likely to remember when you get it right and the weather reports get it wrong).

It's not harmful to them though, if anything being obsessed about planning every detail based on evidence is more likely to cause you mental health problems.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, I mean people literally decide for themselves what they think the weather will be tomorrow. Not based on weather reports etc.

There are all manner of cognitive biases that affect this (like you are more likely to remember when you get it right and the weather reports get it wrong).

It's not harmful to them though, if anything being obsessed about planning every detail based on evidence is more likely to cause you mental health problems.
It's irrational to accept any claim about the weather (or anything else) without evidence. Most people look at things like the weather forecast and make informed predictions.

If a person makes predictions about the weather without evidence, they are potentially inconveniencing themselves. In addition, if a person can believe something for bad reason, they can believe anything for bad reason.

Reactions: Xzi

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's irrational to accept any claim about the weather (or anything else) without evidence. Most people look at things like the weather forecast and make informed predictions.

If a person makes predictions about the weather without evidence, they are potentially inconveniencing themselves. In addition, if a person can believe something for bad reason, they can believe anything for bad reason.
It's irrational to listen to the weather report if you have a strong feeling that it's wrong.

What do you do when the two forecasts disagree?

A friend cancelled their party because one forecast said there would be a thunderstorm, but the other said it would be sunny. They now don't trust the weather forecasts & I think that is reasonably rational..

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: Xzi

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Look at the evidence.
There is literally no evidence to go on. One weather report says one thing, one says another. You don't have time to investigate whether one weather forecaster is better than the other & that wouldn't help you anyway as they can both be wrong.

Being autistic doesn't help you in this circumstance. You have to make a decision.
It's rational to guess.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
It's irrational to listen to the weather report if you have a strong feeling that it's wrong.

What do you do when the two forecasts disagree?

A friend cancelled their party because one forecast said there would be a thunderstorm, but the other said it would be sunny. They now don't trust the weather forecasts & I think that is reasonably rational..
Lol I think this thread about JW has probably run its course if people are now arguing about "doing their own meteorology."

Reactions: Lacius

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Lol I think this thread about JW has probably run its course if people are now arguing about "doing their own meteorology."
It was just an example of things people do without evidence.

The majority of decisions that people make every day, are not based on strong evidence.

Religions are pretty benign, it's the people that are the problem. They would be a problem without the religion.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is literally no evidence to go on.
That sucks then. It doesn't mean making a weather prediction, without any evidence, is rational.

You have to make a decision.
It's rational to guess.
No, you don't have to make a decision, and it's often irrational to do so. If I flip a coin but hide the result, there is no situation in which you would be rational believing the coin landed on tails. It's fine to make a guess, and it's fine to acknowledge the 50-50 odds, but it's irrational to actually believe it's tails.

The majority of decisions that people make every day, are not based on strong evidence.
The vast majority of people's beliefs are evidence-based. In my case, and in the case of other skeptics, they're all evidence-based. There's a word for people who hold beliefs despite lack of evidence: irrational.

Religions are pretty benign, it's the people that are the problem.
For religion to exist, there have to be religious people. Gee, thanks.

They would be a problem without the religion.
I've cited numerous reasons why this often isn't the case. Religions are one of the few things, if any, to cause otherwise good people to do bad things. Rejecting skepticism also absolutely results in bad decision-making and other bad beliefs.

If a person has one belief with no evidence, then what's stopping them from accepting other beliefs like prejudicial beliefs, etc. with no evidence?

Last edited by Lacius,

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I thought that apostoles made that symbol most significant before. (1st Kor 1,22-23) "Jews demand signs and Greeks look for wisdom, but we preach Christ crucified: a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles." But sure you can still ask why resurected Jesus King standing on a throne is not main symbol of Catholicism. Maybe because hard truth is more valuable than the soft one and speaks more about a reason. And what leaders are you trying to refer? Maybe they not belong to church anymore even if they have proper documents. Any respect for those who tried to bring something good inside... like St. Thomas the Aquinas. St. or charity organisations.
Preaching about Jesus being crucified is a lesson where the symbol becomes a form of an idol. The latter didn't start to be observed untill two hundred years after Jesus was crucified, well into Rome's endeavor to take over the narrative. I am not saying that good people cannot exist within an institution, but that the institution is based on corruption.

september796

Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
  1. This has been a good conversation so far, so please don't be disingenuous by ignoring the other possibilities I already listed. Infinite regress isn't the only option. How did you rule out the universe in the future causing itself in the past? How did you rule out the universe just not having or requiring a cause (by definition, we're talking about the formation of causality itself)?
  2. You're talking about infinite regress "no matter how far you go back in time," but we are potentially talking about the formation of time itself. If causality is a temporal property (it is), then it's ridiculous to talk about causality needing a cause or there being a time before time.
Particulary, infinite regress is one that sounds to me like it could be easily ruled out for sure. We'll find out soon I guess. Now, I don't think I have ruled out the one you mentioned about the universe in the future causing itself in the past. Sounds interesting but a priori I don't see how is that a logical possibility. Could you elaborate?
And about the universe not having a cause could mean either the infinite regress thing again or that it created itself or simply poofing out of nothing, which are all unlikely and Im afraid there's not really a sound answer for that. I don't know... I should first need to assume a very illogical idea that time began later on and along with its causality these came to be after the beginning of the universe, which is already a mess since there is no before nor after without time, but only then we could reason that matter as we know it (corruptible, subject to change, subject to time...) may have existed without a cause at the very beginning [?].
Any reason you can give for why "God" doesn't require a first cause can also be applied to the universe or the natural processes that hypothetically caused the universe.
You mean a reason like God being immaterial and timeless, thus not being corruptable, mutable, etc, that is allegedly outside the laws that rule this dimension? I dont see how the same reason could be applied to the universe or anything that materially exists and is subject to previously established laws.
Are you even inclined to the possibility that the universe is eternal or has created itself?

This isn't how logical reasoning works. An argument is either logically sound, or it isn't. An argument is either logically valid, or it isn't. There are plenty of arguments that are logically sound, and there are plenty of arguments that are logically valid. There's no such thing as a "first cause" argument I've heard that is logically sound or even logically valid. If you disagree with me, present a first cause argument that is logically sound.
I dont think there is just one way of logical reasoning. Here there are more possibilities than you're seeing. The first cause argument is logical even though its premises are probable, thus making its conclusion also just probable. But I dare to say that there isn't such a way of a perfect reasoning and you could find flaws to any argument that tries to explain something that is not ridiculously simple even if they turn out to be true. Language itself is a limited tool when trying to portrait abstract thoughts; whenever it is done, the message leads to numerous conclusions.

I agree. My approach is to believe as many true things and as few false things as possible, so I require reason/evidence for my beliefs. Assuming you're a theist (I don't remember if you said you are), you apparently don't care if your beliefs are true, and you've suspended the need for reason/evidence for your beliefs. If you disagree, please provide evidence that a god exists.
First, I've said already that no one can say look that's god right there or something. Second, I'm not sure about those categories, but what I can say as of now is that I lean towards the possibility of one superior being/thing/mind/whatever. Certainly I'm not religious nor my family background is, I just happen to like the christian lore so I'm just a bible reader if you will, because it makes a lot of sense to me... morally at least. When it comes to things that are demonstrable I'm not crazy about finding and experimenting first hand that everything I believe in is true. Yes, not gonna lie, I rely a lot on human faith but not completely blind. I like to question things with a widest perspective. So I can't ignore that where there is technique there is intelligence behind it, where there is organization there is intelligence behind it and so on. Naturally that leads to a lot of questions when you observe what has been given to us. Things don't become real when we understand them. It can take a lifetime to make all the necessary observations.

Are you referring to laziness/uncaring/going along with the status quo?

Some people will argue with their boss if they tell them to do something dumb, some people will just do it.

Neither of them may have faith in what their boss told them.
I mean when we trust/believe by our own will in what someone is telling/teaching us just because we respect them or because they have some authority over the subject they are talking about.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Particulary, infinite regress is one that sounds to me like it could be easily ruled out for sure.
You appear to be arguing for a god that existed infinitely long in the past, which has the same problems as infinite regress, lol. Whether or not you think infinite regress is a problem, a god doesn't solve it.

Now, I don't think I have ruled out the one you mentioned about the universe in the future causing itself in the past. Sounds interesting but a priori I don't see how is that a logical possibility. Could you elaborate?
There is nothing that excludes the possibility of the expansion from the universe from a small point beginning with a point in spacetime in our own universe's future. Hypothetically, perhaps a supernova that resulted in a black hole is our own universe's big bang. For clarity, imagine a picture of a tree where one of its limbs loops down and grows into the trunk of the tree in place of a root system.

I'm not arguing this is the case. My point is you haven't excluded it. And, even if you did, that wouldn't be evidence of the need for a first cause, let alone a god.

And about the universe not having a cause could mean either the infinite regress thing again
The universe not having or requiring a cause is not infinite regress.

either the infinite regress thing again or that it created itself or simply poofing out of nothing, which are all unlikely and Im afraid there's not really a sound answer for that.
Demonstrate this. How did you exclude infinite regress? (Any answer you have for this excludes an infinite god). How did you exclude merely having no cause? A mistake you're making is applying laws of causality to the formation of causality itself.

I should first need to assume a very illogical idea that time began later on and along with its causality these came to be after the beginning of the universe, which is already a mess since there is no before nor after without time, but only then we could reason that matter as we know it (corruptible, subject to change, subject to time...) may have existed without a cause at the very beginning [?].
This paragraph was a bit of a mess, but it's important to note that when we talk about the formation of the universe (if it even had a beginning), we are potentially talking about the beginning of time and causality. That throws any need for a cause or a "before the universe" out the window. Arguably, it's impossible for there to be a cause to causality or a time before time.

You mean a reason like God being immaterial and timeless, thus not being corruptable, mutable, etc, that is allegedly outside the laws that rule this dimension? I dont see how the same reason could be applied to the universe or anything that materially exists and is subject to previously established laws.
Describing god as "immaterial" or "timeless" doesn't change anything. The universe itself might be eternal. A hypothetical natural cause to the universe may be eternal. God doesn't solve any problems or answer any questions, and there's definitely no reason to think a god exists.

Are you even inclined to the possibility that the universe is eternal or has created itself?
The universe, cosmos, or whatever we are talking about might be eternal. It might have began to exist without a cause. No evidence has been provided that debunks these options. Even if you were to disprove these options (you can't), that wouldn't demonstrate a god's existence.

The first cause argument is logical even though its premises are probable, thus making its conclusion also just probable.
The premises of the first cause argument have not been demonstrated to be "probable," and anyone who wants to be reasonable has a duty to reject those premises. The first cause arguments are also illogical because the conclusions don't follow the premises. It's an absurdly bad argument all around, and since I've explained all this to you, you should stop defending it unless you have something new and significant to add.

But I dare to say that there isn't such a way of a perfect reasoning and you could find flaws to any argument that tries to explain something that is not ridiculously simple even if they turn out to be true. Language itself is a limited tool when trying to portrait abstract thoughts; whenever it is done, the message leads to numerous conclusions.
Logical soundness is a definable thing. If the premises of an argument are demonstrably true, and if the conclusions necessarily follow the premises, it's a valid and sound argument. If not, then it's not. Whether or not an argument is sound is objective, not subjective.

but what I can say as of now is that I lean towards the possibility of one superior being/thing/mind/whatever.
In the absence of sound reason and evidence, you're being absurdly irrational. If you care if your beliefs are true, you can't accept that a god exists or likely exists.

If you care more about believing in God than whether or not it's true, then fine, but let's not pretend that would be anything other than moronic.

I just happen to like the christian lore so I'm just a bible reader if you will
I like Star Trek and Zelda lore. That doesn't mean I should believe they're true.

so I'm just a bible reader if you will, because it makes a lot of sense to me... morally at least.
The Bible definitively rejects reason and skepticism, and it pretends that doing so is virtuous. This is the #1 worst thing about religions. The Bible also condones slavery, it's been used to oppress and marginalize various minority groups (LGBT, etc.), and it doesn't condemn some of the most basic immoralities. The idea that the Bible is any sort of humanistic morality is, pardon me, the fucking stupidest thing you've said in this entire thread.

When it comes to things that are demonstrable I'm not crazy about finding and experimenting first hand that everything I believe in is true.
You don't have to do your own science experiments to have reasonable justification for your beliefs, but you do require good evidence.

Yes, not gonna lie, I rely a lot on human faith but not completely blind.
Faith is blind and irrational by definition. As I've said numerous times, it's the excuse a person gives when they don't have good reasons or evidence.

I like to question things with a widest perspective.
Questioning is good. Accepting claims as true without reason or evidence is bad.

So I can't ignore that where there is technique there is intelligence behind it, where there is organization there is intelligence behind it and so on. Naturally that leads to a lot of questions when you observe what has been given to us. Things don't become real when we understand them. It can take a lifetime to make all the necessary observations.
There is no evidence that an intelligence is necessarily behind things that are organized. This sounds like an argument from complexity, which is another unsound argument for the existence of a god. By definition, a god would have to be insanely organized or complex, and yet the arguments omit him from the need for an intelligent creator, lol.

I mean when we trust/believe by our own will in what someone is telling/teaching us just because we respect them or because they have some authority over the subject they are talking about.
You should accept something because someone in particular said it. You should accept something because of the sound reasoning and evidence that it's true.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up