The future of Touchscreen could be anything flat around us

Chris_Skylock

Well-Known Member
OP
Member
Joined
Dec 26, 2008
Messages
1,501
Trophies
0
Age
35
Location
Philippines
Website
www.friendster.com
XP
140
Country
NOKIA's EXPERIMENTAL DAY with the Snow and Ice

QUOTE said:
So we’ve seen how Nokia can turn any screen into a touch screen. What about something that’s not even a screen to begin with – what about a block of ice? That’s exactly what’s been occurring in Tampere, Finland at Nokia’s Research Lab.

Check it out in the video from New Scientist (cheers dsmobile for the heads up!)

“This was a playful experiment, but one that we think showed interactive computing interfaces can now be built anywhere,” Jyri Huopaniemi, Nokia.

How does it work?

Like Microsoft surface, this uses a technique called rear-diffused illumination. Infra-red light (or pretty much) is beamed behind the ice screen and placing a hand in front of the ice reflects that light back towards a camera which in turn helps a computer to calculate the hand position and thus direct a projected image near the hand.

MyNokiaBlog via newscientis

Im now excited on the IRON MAN touchscreen tech. It's becoming of a reality. Remember IRON MAN 2 where Tony used his coffee table to search for the detiails of the Latin Spy girl? WOW!!
 

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Joined
Apr 13, 2008
Messages
3,336
Trophies
0
XP
1,044
Country
Albania
Nah, the part in Iron Man 2 that was the coolest was when he hacked the display in the courtroom with his phone, and showed all the utter failerures of his rivals to make an Iron Man suit.
 

Bladexdsl

My posts is over 9000!!!
Member
Joined
Nov 17, 2008
Messages
20,074
Trophies
2
Location
Queensland
XP
9,914
Country
Australia
that's nice and all but too bad ice melts now show me the same tech or even better a touch screen display or program working on a piece of vertical transparent glass. Or even better floating in mid air like iron man than i'll be excited
tongue.gif
 

Chris_Skylock

Well-Known Member
OP
Member
Joined
Dec 26, 2008
Messages
1,501
Trophies
0
Age
35
Location
Philippines
Website
www.friendster.com
XP
140
Country
hacking using a phone is still LIGHTYEARS away. anything that is flat touchscreen is just around the corner. Over-the-Air touchscreen is being researched by some company who also brought to you by the ANY-TV-CAN-BE-A-TOUCHSREEN team that is coming on the Nokia N8 (or any HD recoding Nokia). Though I would love to hack someone's presentation using my phone via bluetooth or WiFi Direct.

Speaking of WiFi Direct, does it inspired the IRON MAN 2 movie? I mean WiFi Direct uses the same technology as Bluetooth only it has the same Fidelity as WiFi.
 

Satangel

BEAST
Member
Joined
Nov 27, 2006
Messages
10,305
Trophies
1
Age
30
Location
Bruges, Belgium
XP
1,456
Country
Belgium
Awesome shit of course, these kind of things really amaze and make me wonder how the world will look like in 20 years. I love the fact that technology really can change your life so much
smile.gif
 

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Joined
Apr 10, 2004
Messages
6,996
Trophies
2
Location
Sweden
XP
6,846
Country
Sweden
btyre said:
There are plenty of things that can do that sort of thing with a webcam or a wiimote.

also, projector + wiimote + IR-leds(on pencils for example) = multitouch touch screen
smile.gif

But this is probably a bit more advanced and/or precise.
 

ThePowerOutage

The Lord of the Flyes
Member
Joined
Mar 23, 2009
Messages
813
Trophies
0
Location
Vallhallah
XP
267
Country
This is actually similar tech to Kinect. No mentionnon how they put an image there though.
Issac: I was just trying to say that this isn't new tech, it's just an advancement of old tech
 

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Joined
Apr 10, 2004
Messages
6,996
Trophies
2
Location
Sweden
XP
6,846
Country
Sweden
btyre said:
This is actually similar tech to Kinect. No mentionnon how they put an image there though.
Issac: I was just trying to say that this isn't new tech, it's just an advancement of old tech

Yes, i know
smile.gif
And I was only adding to your statement that multi-touch can be achieved even
smile.gif
 

thedicemaster

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Apr 26, 2008
Messages
2,432
Trophies
0
XP
303
Country
Netherlands
Chris_Skylock said:
hacking using a phone is still LIGHTYEARS away.
don't be so sure.
may not be as comfortable, but pretty much any kind of hacking that can be done with a PC running linux can be done with some phones too.
 

Chris_Skylock

Well-Known Member
OP
Member
Joined
Dec 26, 2008
Messages
1,501
Trophies
0
Age
35
Location
Philippines
Website
www.friendster.com
XP
140
Country
thedicemaster said:
Chris_Skylock said:
hacking using a phone is still LIGHTYEARS away.
don't be so sure.
may not be as comfortable, but pretty much any kind of hacking that can be done with a PC running linux can be done with some phones too.

ok. so I need to learn a few more tricks. We still need some techs on wireless that can be as close as Tony's ANYTHING-CAN-CONNECT-TO gadget
 

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Joined
Dec 2, 2007
Messages
13,220
Trophies
3
Age
33
Location
Pittsburgh
XP
15,399
Country
United States
Bladexdsl said:
that's nice and all but too bad ice melts now show me the same tech or even better a touch screen display or program working on a piece of vertical transparent glass. Or even better floating in mid air like iron man than i'll be excited
tongue.gif
Well thats why it has to be in a cold country
tongue.gif

/sarcasm

This actually looks really cool.
 

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Joined
Jan 3, 2009
Messages
7,519
Trophies
2
Location
Gallifrey
XP
1,321
Country
United Kingdom
BortzANATOR said:
Bladexdsl said:
that's nice and all but too bad ice melts now show me the same tech or even better a touch screen display or program working on a piece of vertical transparent glass. Or even better floating in mid air like iron man than i'll be excited
tongue.gif
Well thats why it has to be in a cold country
tongue.gif

/sarcasm

This actually looks really cool.
While you're at it...

/pun
wink.gif
 

You may also like...

General chit-chat
Help Users
    KenniesNewName @ KenniesNewName: Nerds big chew are pretty bomb worth getting Nerds Big Chewy Candy 10 oz...