• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

The benefits of Brexit - the future of the United Kingdom

emigre

Deck head
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So since us Brits voted leave on the 23rd June, I think it's safe to say it's dominated the British political landscape with questions of hard or soft and each member of the UK seemingly developing their own comprehensive opinion of the complexities of Customs Union (THE Customs Union or A Customs Union). It most certainly has put us in the biggest post-war political crisis and instability which leaves us with a minority government being propped by the Northern Irish division of the Republican party.

Now it's been nearly two years since the vote, I'll be intrigued by what the benefits of Brexit are. I recall asking this in the original thread but really couldn't get anything substantive or cohesive. I think now's a good time to look at what the potential benefits will be. It's never left public discussion and animosity still remains, we've had a general election, accusations of undermining the will of the people and a movement to demand a vote on the terms of the eventual Brexit deal.

I'd be interested in what people's thoughts on the potential benefits would be.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
My problem at the time of the voting is the same one as now; there appears to be no plan, or if there is a plan then it amounts to "it'll be alright on the night" and that seems to apply almost regardless of what goals they have as far as hard, soft, might as well still be there but only observing, remaining or stalling. I don't mind seeing people thrashing out the quirks and the finer points, and similarly I could see the need to keep some cards close to your vest, but from day -1 we have seen infighting, lies, nonsense and blind leading the blind.

To that end there could have been some benefits, maybe the relaxing of some red tape and the ability to flex some muscles further afield, but I do not imagine I will be seeing any.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I'd be interested in what people's thoughts on the potential benefits would be.
Erm... Me too, actually. The brexit had, what? 51% procent naysayers? :unsure:
Since then, it's just a circus of politicians setting new grounds of incompetence. Or rather: they would be if they weren't passed by the usa.

As such, i can't really comment. But I'm equally interested: what benefits, if any, are happening in the UK right now? Or are really going to come?

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Brexit had 'Russian interference' written all over it from the beginning, which is not surprising since they're one of the few countries that stand to gain from a weakened EU. From the UK's perspective there's nothing to be gained here, the best they'll be able to claim is, "well, at least the cost of everything didn't go up too much."

emigre

Deck head
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I guess it's safe
Erm... Me too, actually. The brexit had, what? 51% procent naysayers? :unsure:
Since then, it's just a circus of politicians setting new grounds of incompetence. Or rather: they would be if they weren't passed by the usa.

As such, i can't really comment. But I'm equally interested: what benefits, if any, are happening in the UK right now? Or are really going to come?

It was 52 to 48. Currently, the biggest benefit is taking back control but based on how the negotiations are going, I'm not sure I want the GOvernment to be taking control of anything.

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
A vanity decision out of bored people who had nothing to do but think back with nostalgia about times that weren't in fact as great as they remember, middle age crisis, and poor understanding leading them to scapegoat everything from income right down to the punk randomly knocking the icecream out of their hand while walking down the street on globalism. Their children will eventually undo what they did and history will remember this bravada shamefully.

DavidLiam

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pound already at it's lowest in 30 years, markets taking a thrashing, calls for independence referendums in Scotland and Northern Ireland. Whispers that Brussels will look to make an example of us. Just how bad will the shit show get? Or is there light at the end of the tunnel?

Reactions: Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
The parallels to Trump are so clear. "Fantastic negotiator" ends up fucking the country over with his/her "deals." In Trump's case it's the crushing tariffs he throws around without understanding the repercussions of those actions. In both cases this has Putin's fingerprints all over it, May and Trump are the perfect useful idiots to make people lose all confidence in established governments that oppose Putin's power and restrict access to his ludicrous amount of wealth via sanctions.

Reactions: IncredulousP

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As DavidLiam insisted on copy pasting from another site again (this time a 2016 post in a forum) I merged with a previous thread.

so is it a good time to travel there?
The exchange rate if you are pricing in US dollars is pretty sweet right now (I am looking at going the other way... going to be expensive for me).

It is September now and we appear to be firmly in autumn/fall temperatures (usually get a couple of weeks of summer in September) but most of the touristy stuff will still be open. If you are OK with that then riots, stabbings, shootings and such are about the same as ever (so a non issue unless you are a moron and go somewhere you shouldn't). Food on shelves, staff in hospitals, police on streets (in a good way).
I am not entirely sure what there is to see and do that you can't do just as easily in the US unless you like old buildings, in which case there are plenty of those around here. Otherwise a phrase I usually hear about going to Australia -- it is a long way to go just to speak English.

Reactions: nando

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
there are little to no benefits unless the eu bends over backwards to be nice to the uk despite them stabbing the eu in the back for a very, very very short term political win. from my memory, people regretted their vote as soon as they sobered up the next day.

it was just a bad idea, if you can, turn around, accept the, again, in caparison, very very very short term financial punishment for making the eu go through all that bs for two years and hope people will welcome you more or less like before.

JoeBloggs777

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Pound already at it's lowest in 30 years, markets taking a thrashing, calls for independence referendums in Scotland and Northern Ireland. Whispers that Brussels will look to make an example of us. Just how bad will the shit show get? Or is there light at the end of the tunnel?

concerning a Scotish independence vote,

A Survation poll last month found fewer than one in four Scots wants another referendum to be called for this year.

It also revealed that the majority of Scots are in favour of remaining in the UK, with 53 per cent saying they would vote No.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/poli...-vote-indyref-nicola-sturgeon-SNP-theresa-may

The Scotish National Party had 56 of the 59 seats in 2015, at the last election they lost more than 1/3rd or 21 seats and are down to 35 now.

we buy more from Europe than well sell to them, sure it will be diffilcult but things will get better once were free from Brussels bureaucracy

fatherjack

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
We've had the democratic process and voted........a loooong time back, it's time to leave!

There has been an unbelievable amount of scaremongering since the result, fuelled by political and media sectors with a more than healthy vested interest in 'remaining' for their own financial benefit - this is Y2K all over again, we'll wake up in the morning and the sun will still shine the same as yesterday.

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
We've had the democratic process and voted........a loooong time back, it's time to leave!

There has been an unbelievable amount of scaremongering since the result, fuelled by political and media sectors with a more than healthy vested interest in 'remaining' for their own financial benefit - this is Y2K all over again, we'll wake up in the morning and the sun will still shine the same as yesterday.
Exactly I ldon't think anything will change we wont be better off or worse off than we all are now.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
I voted to stay.

From the beginning, there seemed to be no plan. Personally, I think it’s unfair for such a major decision to be made with such a tiny difference in the votes. Now we just have to live with it and the consequences whilst the politicians work it out.

On the plus side, if things get really bad in the UK, I can just hop the border and live in Europe. I’m a dual national, with an account in both sides, so I’m ready for whatever comes.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over