Charmander is not pleased.
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Welcome back to thaddius’ Console Roast 2014 Edition. For those of you who are not aware this is a poll where you, the GBATemp user, get to vote on what GBATemp thinks is the worst console ever is. For more information check out the Rules section below.

Recap:
Wow. You guys really don’t like:
U6MmeTi.png

The OUYA! Congrats OUYA.

I guess it makes sense compared to the big three and their current gen consoles.

Keeping up with the apparent Microsoft bashing the Xbone somehow made it into second place. I’ll never understand you guys.

Anyway: rules!

Rules:
There can only be one!

Each week I pit each console generation against itself to determine what the worst console of that generation was. Updates will hopefully be up every Thursday from now till the end.

We’re going to work our way up through consoles and handhelds until we reach the current generation. Once that’s all done, we’ll determine the worst console and the worst handheld. From there we choose the definitive GBATemp-approved WORST CONSOLE EVER.

Your only job, Mr. or Ms. GBATemper, is to cast your vote for what you think the worst of the generation is. Please try to do some research, watch some videos, maybe play a few of these games on a (completely legitimate) emulator, and you just might learn a little about the weird amorphous blob that is video game history. But I can't (and won't) keep you from just shooting from the uninformed hip. You're also encouraged to explain your choice in the form of a response to this topic. :)

In the event of a tie, I (Sir thaddius prigg) will cast the deciding vote. It is my Roast after all...

The Generations are taken from Wikipedia as I've deemed that to be an appropriate neutral third party. I understand if you might have some concerns that I've put things in the wrong generation in your opinion, but I'm not too concerned about that. Generations are murky constructs at best and are based on arbitrary distinctions made by outsiders as post hoc rationalizations that don't mean anything to anyone anyway.

If I left out/included a certain console/handheld you think does/doesn't belong there I'm probably not going to include/not include them anyway. Basically don't take any of this too seriously. I'm not going to change the polls based on your opinion of them. I also can't change the polls once I've created them. The fact that people keep telling me to change things means that no one reads this but whatever. It's not like anyone cares about what I have to say. :P

Aggressive discussion is allowed, but please try to keep within the rules of the forums. Just try to have fun and don’t be a jerk, k?
Enough of that crap, time to get started!

Intro:
And now we enter our first of two semi-final rounds. This week we’ll explore the past ‘winners’ of the handheld generations as we try and determine, once and for all, what the worst handheld ever is. Heady stuffy, my friends.

I’m interested to see how this will go. Will GBATemp do what it’s always done, vote for the one they’ve never heard of? Or will the sheer number of systems they’ve never heard of compel them to do some research and figure out which one is the worst? Or, better yet, will the most well known one get the vote? So just who will it be? Only you can decide, fair Tempers.

This Week's Challengers are:

The Watara SuperVision
7KDxr8a.jpg

Deftly kicking the original Game Boy, the Atari Lynx, the Sega Game Gear and the Turbo Express aside, I wasn’t too surprised with the outcome. This is simply not a good system. It’s a pale imitation of the Game Boy which they managed to screw up (mostly because there were no quality games for the system). But will it be GBATemp's least preferred handheld?

The Tiger R-Zone
7cxPjSL.jpg

Speaking of pale imitations, the R-Zone managed to beat the Virtual Boy at it’s own game in being a shitty VR-themed system.

Not that I was concerned, but it managed to beat the GBC, the Sega Nomad, the Wonderswan, and the Neo Geo Pocket as well. And the Game.com… I’m not sure which one I would have voted for in that case.

Is the R-Zone bad enough to be heralded as the worst handheld ever? You decide!

The Nokia N-Gage
rkczNLq.jpg

The side talker eked out a win against the GBA and the Neo Geo Pocket Color. And managed to out dazzle the GP32, and the Swan Crystal.

Adding gaming to a phone doesn’t necessarily make it a great handheld. And while the N-Gage was probably not the worst thing ever, it was certainly nowhere near as good as the GBA or the NGPC. At least that’s the way you guys voted anyway.

So, is it the worst of the worst?

The GamePark Wiz/Caanoo
Mo5GLYn.jpg

Poor open consoles! Somehow the Dingoo or the Pandora didn’t win this prestigious honour, while we weren’t too surprised to see the DS and PSP skate by unscathed.

I think this was just a misunderstanding of what the Wiz and Caanoo are. Both are great, better than the Dingoo anyway as far as emulation machines go. And the Pandora is more powerful, but manufacturing problems throw it into the fray.

Are these systems worthy of being the worst handhelds ever as voted by GBATemp?

The SNK Neo Geo X
r8Ggruj.jpg

While there was a lot of hate brewing for the Shield, the Neo Geo X was unable to cut the mustard. Luckily the 3DS and Vita lost by a wide margin, not that we expected any different.

I don’t think this was a terrible choice. The Neo Geo X does not compare to the others and deserved this win. But does it deserve a win against today's competitors?

Outro:
So there you have it! We're choosing our least favourite handheld today. Take care, fellow Tempers, for this is a grave poll! What you collectively vote for will be the handheld you dislike the most of all others. So choose wisely!

I'll see y'all net week and maybe even in the comments!

Current Standings:
IBbN2fh.png

Reactions: chavosaur

TheCasketMan

Keyblade Apprentice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The R-Zone hands down. Lokk at that kid crying in agony, cuz of the r-zone. By the way thaddius, you forgot that there was a redesign of the r-zone called the R-Zone X.P.G. which was the same s##### console, but now handheld. Anything from Tiger is the worse s###.

hqdefault.jpg

rzone.jpg

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
R-Zone, obviously.
I still don't get how people dislike that much the N-Gage to think that is worse than the R-Zone when at least is a very competent smartphone. was the S60 phone with the most RAM memory of his time, compared to the R-Zone even a calculator has more processing power and is more entertaining.

Krakatau

Nintendo 3DS XL
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I actually don't think the N-gage was completely made with the main objective that it would be seen as a gaming console, it's a phone after all.

Vipera

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd vote for the Neo Geo X because it's a shit console under any circumstance, but the R-Zone had 0 appeal while the Neo Geo X at least lets you play some Neo Geo Games "kind of" good in 4:3 on a 16:9 screen. But still, it has GAMES.

R-Zone wins.

matpower

Messenger from Zero
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Tiger R-Zone. Cheap rip-off of the Virtual Boy, also the guy playing the R-Zone here is screaming in agony, it is a torture device! ;O;
hqdefault.jpg

I nearly voted the SuperVision, but it had some unique stuff and I took a while hunting down for its emulator.
N-Gage was a cool concept, but it wanted more than it could bite.
Caanon is on the same level as the N-Gage IMO.
And the Neo Geo X is a custom Dingoo, so you can hack it and make it useful, bonus point for that. :P

Attila13

Praise the Creep!
Trophies
Website
gamesystemrequirements.com
XP
Country
Romania
My choice remains the R-Zone even in this poll and forever.
Maybe I sound like an ass and maybe I even am one now, but I'm greatly surprised to so the Ngage being so close to the Tiger....I mean come on people, the Ngage was shit for many people but compared to the Rzone the Ngage is the fucking winner console of the Millennium.
I do know that people who voted for the Ngage maybe didn't have the chance to ever try the Rzone (you all shall be grateful for that you lucky bastards), but still! That's no excuse! :tpi:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.