thaddius' Console Roast 2014 Edition - Round 14 - Handheld Semi-Final

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by thaddius, May 23, 2014.

?

Worst Handheld Semi-Final

Poll closed May 30, 2014.
  1. The Watara SuperVision

41 vote(s)
    10.7%
  2. The Tiger R-Zone

164 vote(s)
    42.8%
  3. The Nokia N-Gage

125 vote(s)
    32.6%
  4. The GamePark Wiz/Caanoo

28 vote(s)
    7.3%
  5. The SNK Neo Geo X

25 vote(s)
    6.5%
  1. thaddius
    OP

thaddius Charmander is not pleased.

May 5, 2008
    Canada
    Welcome back to thaddius’ Console Roast 2014 Edition. For those of you who are not aware this is a poll where you, the GBATemp user, get to vote on what GBATemp thinks is the worst console ever is. For more information check out the Rules section below.

Recap:
    Wow. You guys really don’t like:
    [​IMG]
    The OUYA! Congrats OUYA.

I guess it makes sense compared to the big three and their current gen consoles.

Keeping up with the apparent Microsoft bashing the Xbone somehow made it into second place. I’ll never understand you guys.

Anyway: rules!

Rules:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!
    Enough of that crap, time to get started!

Intro:
    And now we enter our first of two semi-final rounds. This week we’ll explore the past ‘winners’ of the handheld generations as we try and determine, once and for all, what the worst handheld ever is. Heady stuffy, my friends.

I’m interested to see how this will go. Will GBATemp do what it’s always done, vote for the one they’ve never heard of? Or will the sheer number of systems they’ve never heard of compel them to do some research and figure out which one is the worst? Or, better yet, will the most well known one get the vote? So just who will it be? Only you can decide, fair Tempers.

This Week's Challengers are:

The Watara SuperVision
    [​IMG]
    Deftly kicking the original Game Boy, the Atari Lynx, the Sega Game Gear and the Turbo Express aside, I wasn’t too surprised with the outcome. This is simply not a good system. It’s a pale imitation of the Game Boy which they managed to screw up (mostly because there were no quality games for the system). But will it be GBATemp's least preferred handheld?

The Tiger R-Zone
    [​IMG]
    Speaking of pale imitations, the R-Zone managed to beat the Virtual Boy at it’s own game in being a shitty VR-themed system.

Not that I was concerned, but it managed to beat the GBC, the Sega Nomad, the Wonderswan, and the Neo Geo Pocket as well. And the Game.com… I’m not sure which one I would have voted for in that case.

Is the R-Zone bad enough to be heralded as the worst handheld ever? You decide!

The Nokia N-Gage
    [​IMG]
    The side talker eked out a win against the GBA and the Neo Geo Pocket Color. And managed to out dazzle the GP32, and the Swan Crystal.

Adding gaming to a phone doesn’t necessarily make it a great handheld. And while the N-Gage was probably not the worst thing ever, it was certainly nowhere near as good as the GBA or the NGPC. At least that’s the way you guys voted anyway.

So, is it the worst of the worst?

The GamePark Wiz/Caanoo
    [​IMG]
    Poor open consoles! Somehow the Dingoo or the Pandora didn’t win this prestigious honour, while we weren’t too surprised to see the DS and PSP skate by unscathed.

I think this was just a misunderstanding of what the Wiz and Caanoo are. Both are great, better than the Dingoo anyway as far as emulation machines go. And the Pandora is more powerful, but manufacturing problems throw it into the fray.

Are these systems worthy of being the worst handhelds ever as voted by GBATemp?

The SNK Neo Geo X
    [​IMG]
    While there was a lot of hate brewing for the Shield, the Neo Geo X was unable to cut the mustard. Luckily the 3DS and Vita lost by a wide margin, not that we expected any different.

I don’t think this was a terrible choice. The Neo Geo X does not compare to the others and deserved this win. But does it deserve a win against today's competitors?

Outro:
    So there you have it! We're choosing our least favourite handheld today. Take care, fellow Tempers, for this is a grave poll! What you collectively vote for will be the handheld you dislike the most of all others. So choose wisely!

I'll see y'all net week and maybe even in the comments!

Current Standings:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

chavosaur likes this.
  2. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    Tiger R-Zone, hands down, no contest.

Attila13 likes this.
  3. KingVamp

KingVamp Great... AETHER!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    I agree. Tiger R-Zone.

4. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    QFT.

5. TheCasketMan

TheCasketMan Keyblade Apprentice

Sep 3, 2011
    United States
    Orlando, FL
    The R-Zone hands down. Lokk at that kid crying in agony, cuz of the r-zone. By the way thaddius, you forgot that there was a redesign of the r-zone called the R-Zone X.P.G. which was the same s##### console, but now handheld. Anything from Tiger is the worse s###.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. KingVamp

KingVamp Great... AETHER!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Come on now. How is Nokia N-Gage worst than the Tiger R-Zone and Supervision?

7. Nah3DS

Nah3DS Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!

Feb 9, 2010
    Argentina
    the PS Vita

codezer0 and EZ-Megaman like this.
  8. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    R-Zone.
    Just what?

9. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    Highway to the Tiger Zone,
    I'll take you
    Right into the Tiger Zone...

xwatchmanx and Veho like this.
  10. Sakitoshi

Sakitoshi everything is going according the plan...

May 8, 2012
    Chile
    behind a keyboard or a gamepad
    R-Zone, obviously.
    I still don't get how people dislike that much the N-Gage to think that is worse than the R-Zone when at least is a very competent smartphone. was the S60 phone with the most RAM memory of his time, compared to the R-Zone even a calculator has more processing power and is more entertaining.

11. Krakatau

Krakatau Nintendo 3DS XL

Nov 10, 2012
    Belgium
    I actually don't think the N-gage was completely made with the main objective that it would be seen as a gaming console, it's a phone after all.

12. Vipera

Vipera Banned

Banned
    Aug 22, 2013
    United States
    Away from this shithole
    I'd vote for the Neo Geo X because it's a shit console under any circumstance, but the R-Zone had 0 appeal while the Neo Geo X at least lets you play some Neo Geo Games "kind of" good in 4:3 on a 16:9 screen. But still, it has GAMES.

R-Zone wins.

13. Qtis

Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Feb 28, 2010
    The Forge
    Seriously, the Nokia N-Gage was at least a capable phone compared to the R-Zone. It wasn't even that.

14. matpower

matpower A Hero of Justice

May 5, 2012
    Brazil
    Kazamatsuri
    Tiger R-Zone. Cheap rip-off of the Virtual Boy, also the guy playing the R-Zone here is screaming in agony, it is a torture device! ;O;
    [​IMG]
    I nearly voted the SuperVision, but it had some unique stuff and I took a while hunting down for its emulator.
    N-Gage was a cool concept, but it wanted more than it could bite.
    Caanon is on the same level as the N-Gage IMO.
    And the Neo Geo X is a custom Dingoo, so you can hack it and make it useful, bonus point for that. :P

15. thaddius
    OP

thaddius Charmander is not pleased.

May 5, 2008
    Canada
    I guess GBATemp doesn't like handhelds with the 'letter hyphen word' name structure.

geoflcl likes this.
  16. Adeka

Adeka Beta Tester

Mar 19, 2013
    United States
    Pretty easy choice for me. R-Zone

17. Attila13

Attila13 Praise the Creep!

Oct 11, 2010
    Romania
    Zalau,Romania
    My choice remains the R-Zone even in this poll and forever.
    Maybe I sound like an ass and maybe I even am one now, but I'm greatly surprised to so the Ngage being so close to the Tiger....I mean come on people, the Ngage was shit for many people but compared to the Rzone the Ngage is the fucking winner console of the Millennium.
    I do know that people who voted for the Ngage maybe didn't have the chance to ever try the Rzone (you all shall be grateful for that you lucky bastards), but still! That's no excuse! :tpi:

18. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    I can't believe people are actually voting for anything other than the R-Zone. I know these are the "lowest of the low" according to previous polls but the gap between the R-Zone and the other three contenders is comparable to the Great Canyon.

TheCasketMan, chavosaur and Attila13 like this.
  19. xwatchmanx

xwatchmanx GBAtemp's (Un)Ironic Weeaboo

Feb 13, 2012
    United States
    Pittsboro, NC
    Tiger R-Zone. It's not even a contest. I mean, really.

20. cracker

cracker Nyah!

Aug 24, 2005
    United States
    Seriously... Why are people voting for anything besides the R-Zone?